+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Modular Fords

Liked
    73 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    I'm guessing I'm not the only one that is intrigued by a v8 rwd car such a staggering number of donors out there.

Weight is the #1 enemy of a track car. That and marriage. How much weight you manage to shed from the car is arguably more important than anything else.
    Let's say car number one weighs 2000 lbs., has 140 hp, and has 12.5 square inches of contact patch per corner for a total of 50 square inches...

if car number two weighs 4000 lbs., makes 280 hp, and has 25 square inches of contact patch per corner, which car is better? Not necessarily the lighter car. The car that has the lowest relative center of gravity, best weight balance, and ultimately the car that is able to keep the most rubber on the road is going to be faster on the track..
    Right?

Liked
    1380 times

Quote Originally Posted by slodrew View Post
    Let's say car number one weighs 2000 lbs., has 140 hp, and has 12.5 square inches of contact patch per corner for a total of 50 square inches...

if car number two weighs 4000 lbs., makes 280 hp, and has 25 square inches of contact patch per corner, which car is better? Not necessarily the lighter car. The car that has the lowest relative center of gravity, best weight balance, and ultimately the car that is able to keep the most rubber on the road is going to be faster on the track..
    Right?
    Sounds right, although the heavier car requires double the gas, several times the tire budget, and possibly an upfront investment of $5k in a big brake kit for tracks that aren't WSIR.

Liked
    73 times

it's definitely thirsty, the 315 nittos were about $240 each, and I'm not sure about the brakes. You may be right, but they may be a little better than you think. They're engineered to stop cars that typically weigh more than 5000 lbs. fully equipped.. I've never experienced any brake fade at all in the cv, they actually seem to bite a lot better with heat. Like night and day compared to my 540i even though it has bigger rotors and all that fine german engineering. What do you have to do to the brakes on a miata to make them hold up to that abuse? lol

Liked
    1380 times

Quote Originally Posted by slodrew View Post
    What do you have to do to the brakes on a miata to make them hold up to that abuse? lol
    Nothing whatsoever which is why light cars are nice! (I don't count pads and decent fluid)

Let me drive your car at ACS and I'll have the brakes destroyed in one session.
    bawareca and JJ1 like this.

Liked
    73 times

you would know better than me and I guess we'll just have to see.. there are definitely a lot more options with brake pads but look at them little things..
    miata_rennie.jpg

then look at the massive crown vic calipers.. bendix fleet metlok police spec pads are $42 and work better than the performance friction carbon metallic pads I have on it now...
    cv-brakes.jpg
    cv-coilovers-1.jpg

Look at that camber!
    shelby-negative-camber-rear-axle.jpg

Liked
    73 times

go to 4:15..

Liked
    1380 times

Did you let off the brakes abruptly?

Liked
    73 times

I just let off the gas and the car was too loose.. now I can raise and lower the rear ride height with a 3/4" wrench from inside the trunk.. I had to have 2 tires dismounted to clean all the rocks out of the beads and I bent the driver's side rear axle shaft but I still did 2 more sessions that day
    If I went off like that in my 540 it would have costed a lot more to fix if it didn't roll and get completely destroyed
    Last edited by slodrew; 08-05-2015 at 04:53 PM.

Liked
    592 times

From the image in the mirror looks like Robocop is driving

Liked
    1476 times

Looked to me like you just didn't brake enough for Turn 1, and the car did what you should have expected . . .
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    73 times

After watching it again and thinking about it I think you're right Richard.. and I was in a hurry when I posted it And didn't elaborate but my intention was to start some discussion about durability/safety/serviceability.. I want off because I didn't brake enough and had more speed than I knew what to do with..

Liked
    1476 times

slodrew -

Turn 1 at WSIR is very nearly the enigma that Turn 9 is. I have easily 7,000 plus laps on WSIR. Everytime I go through Turn 1, I think, "I could have gone faster." Same for Turn 9, but the stakes are higher. Go out and go faster at the "Fastest Road in the West."
    bawareca and slodrew like this.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    73 times

It's scary to go off anywhere at WSIR.. especially when you're driving the car almost 200 miles to get there and you're hoping to be driving it home..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2