+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
Like Tree385Likes

Thread: Ford GT350R thread

"Shoe"
    Liked
    572 times

Not sure about "superior". They are both great cars.

The C7 Z51 is only 200lbs lighter than a GT350 and has smaller tires. 245/285 vs 295/305, so tire and brake wear is probably comparable.

Alot of people rave that the 5.2L FPC V8 has an amazing soul that revs to 8,250rpm while the torquey 6.2L, 6,600rpm LT1 is boring by comparison.

The Vette is a low slung sports car and feels that way with a very sporty outward visibility, while the Mustang is a bigger car, it's lowered hood has a MUCH better sightlines over a standard Stang, it's not as sports car like as the Vette.

The Vette is very neutral but still has a somewhat floaty lack of rebound "Vette" feel to it while the GT350 is a little more tied down.

Can't go wrong, I like both and they are the best looking Vettes and mustangs to date.
    JulioG likes this.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2467 times

Quote Originally Posted by JulioG View Post
    What makes the GT350 superior to a C7 Z51? Wouldn't the Vette be cheaper to run in the long run due to its weight advantage. For those who've driven both, is the Mustang more fun? I haven't driven the C7, but drove the GT350R at MRLS at launch, and although I liked the car a lot, it didn't blow me away.
    One overheats five different systems and goes into limp mode, the other doesn't.
    bellwilliam and JulioG like this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    2336 times

What makes the GT350 superior to a C7 Z51? Wouldn't the Vette be cheaper to run in the long run due to its weight advantage. For those who've driven both, is the Mustang more fun? I haven't driven the C7, but drove the GT350R at MRLS at launch, and although I liked the car a lot, it didn't blow me away.
    So which stock car did wowed you on track ?
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    56 times

I thought it was only the Z06 (boosted) C7 that overheated? Did they improve cooling on the GrandSport model at least?

458 and 570S at Exotics Racing's little track at Fontana did blow me away . I definitely see the appeal of the GT350/R as a 99.99% track ready car off the showroom.
    bellwilliam and Stuntman like this.

Liked
    2336 times

458 and 570S at Exotics Racing's little track at Fontana did blow me away . I definitely see the appeal of the GT350/R as a 99.99% track ready car off the showroom.
    you do realize those 458 and 570S at Exotics dash lights up like Christmas tree, error messages everywhere. like 5 per car.
    I have no doubt that GT3 RS, 458 Speciale, etc. are probably a better track car, just a tiny bit out of my budget. and something I won't take to same track session as Miata.
    JulioG likes this.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    2467 times

Quote Originally Posted by b3d3g1 View Post
    can you you close this tread? seriously making me question why I don't have one. Even searched on autotrader for the one I would buy:

2016-Ford-Shelby-GT350-Mustang-front-three-quarter-in-motion-04.jpg
    gallery_1_13_138391.jpg
    2016-Ford-Shelby-GT350-Mustang-in-red-front-view-posed.jpg
    2016-Ford-Shelby-GT350-Mustang-in-red-rear-side-view-parked.jpg
    GT350_fob.jpg
    Olitho, BOWERSdaAZIAN and b3d3g1 like this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    2336 times

Quote Originally Posted by b3d3g1 View Post
    can you you close this tread? seriously making me question why I don't have one. Even searched on autotrader for the one I would buy:
    https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ngId=445170549
    Attachment 11161
    since you are getting married soon.....
    make sure you buy your toys BEFORE you get married, they are grandfathered in.
    Stuntman, bawareca and JulioG like this.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

"Shoe"
    Liked
    572 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    One overheats five different systems and goes into limp mode, the other doesn't.
    I never had a problem with either car.

Liked
    2220 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    I know the C7 Z06 goes into limp mode pretty quick, especially the automatic transmission version if put into "track mode." I have not heard of over-heating problems in the normally aspirated C7.
    Stuntman likes this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    2336 times

What makes the GT350 superior to a C7 Z51?
    when I am sitting in the car:

seat: GT350 has Recaro
    steering wheel: GT350 has alcantara wheel
    shifter: Tremec (GT has a crappy transmission) 6 speed is one of the best, right on top there as 86, S2000 and Miata. C7 transmission is clunky.
    tach: redline at 8,250 vs 6,500 in a C7. This alone convinced me to get one.

resale value: C7 drops like a rock. higher end Mustang holds their value. if I were buying used, C7 is a great value.

I also added up C7 to the same spec (add navigation, Magnetic ride control, sport seat, Z51 package). C7 is $68k, GT350 is $60k. C7 has a huge discount, whereas GT350 has none. so they are about the same price.
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 08-04-2017 at 09:25 AM.
    JulioG likes this.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    2467 times

Default Report after the first two weeks, 1500 miles

After living with my 2017 GT350 for a few weeks, I wanted to update from my initial impressions posted after the first day.

Since I picked it up I have done a track day in 100 heat, done a 450 mile highway cruise, autocross, commuted for a few weeks, and of course hard parked. No pedestrians were harmed in the making of this post. A few eargasms were dropped on unsuspecting bystanders however.

Autocross. For such a big, long and heavy car it is shockingly agile. The stock Pilot Sport 2 (PS2) tires are grippy when cold and just get better with heat. Autocross exemplifies one trait William, Andrew and I all noticed at Sonoma, this thing puts down the power really well. Randy Pobst alluded to it in one of his many reports on the car, how neutral it stays on full power corner exits, how stable it is and how little wheelspin it gets even with all the nannies off. It's nearly awd feeling in the way it launches of tight bumpy corners. Uncanny. The car remains totally steerable through the pedals, as is the mark of any true sports car. No need to saw away at the wheel ever, provided you are making good pedal inputs.

Hard Park report: meh. Mine is black. The uninitiated assume it's an ecoboost with some nice wheels and ebay spoiler. The Mustang cognoscenti OTOH, can smell a Shelby at 200 paces. "Is that a Shelby??!!". "Why yes it is good sir. Shall I start the engine and share it's song for the gathered throng to worship?". Yeah, hard park bruh.

Daily. Surprisingly competent as a daily. It appears to be a tad more sensitive to proper to warming up before hooning, throwing a P0128 "thermostat temp too low" CEL if you use a few too many revs in the first few minutes after starting from dead cold. Scan Gauge in the glove box to clear that code. I don't run it hard when cold, but even so, I occasionally get the CEL. The standard Recaros have serious thigh and torso bolsters. I like to sit close to the wheel. This makes getting in a thread the needle proposition and I'm pretty skinny. Those of more corn fed 'Murrican proportions will want to take that into consideration. The optional 6 way power heated and cooled seats are couches for those that prefer their birthdays at KFC more than Panera. No support, easy ingress/egress on those. Mileage? 'Murrica. Ride quality is quite good considering it's basically a race suspension. One caveat is that those wide tires will tramline quite urgently when the steering is in Sport mode. The system remembers the steering mode when you shut it off, which is nice. I recommend always two hands on the wheel when in Sport steering mode. If not, sooner or later you'll catch a groove in the pavement and have the wheel jerked out of your hand while the car jumps a few feet to one side, into a pedestrian most likely. Just like a racecar. The gearbox is a delight. The best OEM shifter, no wait, the best shifter I have ever experienced in a manual transmission car. Light, direct, positive with syncros that allow you to shift as fast as you can move the lever. As with the engine, wait until the trans breaks 140 or so before doing those urgent shifts. Thankfully, there is a OEM trans temp gauge, as well as diff temp, oil temp, oil pressure, cylinder head temp. I have the optional "Electronics Package" with nav, satellite, Android Auto and 9 speaker stereo. I wondered how in the heck Ford could package so much go fast goodies in a car for $60k. I figure all 9 speakers cost them about $2. It's that bad.

Thinking about writing this review, I realize I had not actually completed the break in because, I had not performed that legacy maneuver which is hard coded into all Mustang DNA. The Burnout. Ford, with a wink and corporate nod of approval, built a line lock and drag mode into the GT350. Yes sir, drag mode, line lock, TC off. I ignored all those nannies because I wanted to destroy some tires and go slow. Clutch in, slip into gear, pin throttle, side step clutch and enjoy. Such smoke, many RPM, wow.

Break in complete. Now it goes to the dealer to get it's first oil change. Wouldn't want to void that warranty.
    Last edited by emilio700; 08-04-2017 at 11:01 AM.
    Olitho, JJ1, thepass and 5 others like this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    36 times

I need to stop checking this thread, I already wanted one bad enough.

Liked
    2336 times

What makes the GT350 superior to a C7 Z51?.
    oh, one more thing. with a C7, you do NOT get a factory LeMan driver answering your question - within an hour.

I bet I don't get that treatment with LaFerrari either.
    Olitho, JJ1, Loose Caboose and 1 others like this.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

"Shoe"
    Liked
    572 times

Emilio, really glad you're enjoying the car. To answer an earlier question, I use to drive in sport all the time and now have transitioned to comfort and normal for street and track.

All S550 mustangs put power down and have a lot of rear grip because the geometry of the IRS gives it a low rear roll centers that drops further in roll and squat. Add 305 rear tires and you have alot off rear grip. not

Fo new owners I would recommend changing the oil at 500 miles then again at 1,500 before extending it to normal intervals.

I've never experienced the CEL even when besting in it cold, which I do not recommend. Once oil gets up to 140*, have at it. For trans, you can block off the trans cooler with a panel or tape to get trans temps up quicker on the street.

...and the car has Super Sport (PSS) tires, not PS2
    Last edited by Stuntman; 08-04-2017 at 11:44 AM.

Liked
    2 times

Any idea if/when the new PS4's will be available in OEM sizes?

"Shoe"
    Liked
    572 times

The PS4S isn't really any better than the PSS in the dry, but it's a lot better in the wet. The GT350s bespoke PSSs are specially designed for the GT350 and are "mini cup" tires. I'm pretty confident an OTS PS4S would be worse than the bespoke PSS in the dry.

Liked
    2 times

Yeah I don't really have any complaints with the PSS other than I wish it would last a little longer, but I guess you can't have everything

Liked
    2467 times

Project 6GR Satin Graphite wheels, 305/30/19 RS4's. 19x11/19x11.5. Tire shorter than OEM tires so a tad more gap, but lower gearing and lower car. About the same OD as the OEM GT350R tires.
    Cars is truly filthy, and it still looks good.

Project_6GR_Satin_Graphite_1.jpg
    Last edited by emilio700; 08-04-2017 at 07:32 PM.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    141 times

Just one more thing you boys might want to add to your new GT-350, only one in CA black and Yellow...

5pttwo.png
    Loose Caboose likes this.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    572 times

Emilio: 19x11 all around?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast