+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 361
Like Tree385Likes

Thread: Ford GT350R thread

  1. #141
    Senior Member bellwilliam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    La Verne, California, United States
    Posts
    7,687
    Liked
    2336 times

    Default

    Billy: what steering mode do you use for track ?

    btw, Billy: thanks a ton for the info and help developing this car. This is the best stock car I've tracked (I am sure there are others, but nothing under $100k). There are more info on this thread than 100 threads on GT350 forum.

    edit: looked it up. oil filter housing upgrade kit: M-6881-52CA
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 08-01-2017 at 09:44 AM.
    emilio700 and chopsui like this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

  2. #142
    Senior Member bellwilliam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    La Verne, California, United States
    Posts
    7,687
    Liked
    2336 times

    Default

    I don't quite understand the point of flat plane v8 in this car. Ford went through so much trouble developing a new low volume engine.

    flat plane v8 gives the distinct wail, but this engine don't have it, because it doesn't have equal length intake.
    flat plane v8 supposed allows you to run lightened crank. yet it is heavy in this GT350
    flat pane v8 allows high rev, which you get here. but E9x M3 also has a 8,300rpm v8.

    flat plane v8 vibrates a ton, big negative imo. so unless one runs equal length intake and super light crank. then I don't see a point.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

  3. #143
    http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,664
    Liked
    2467 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    Billy: what steering mode do you use for track ?

    btw, Billy: thanks a ton for the info and help developing this car. This is the best stock car I've tracked (I am sure there are others, but nothing under $100k). There are more info on this thread than 100 threads on GT350 forum.
    Agreed. Ford got their monies worth having Billy as a brand ambassador. That a pro driver of his stature finds time to share all the intel with us and retains his club racer integrity adds significant value to my Ford purchase. GM, you are doing it wrong.

    And yeah, the GT350 forums have some good info but like most forums, it's deeply polluted by guys with no real understanding posting conjecture, hyperbole and rumors.

    Also, I started a new thread about nanopro MT. I think this is significant enough tech to warrant its own discussion. Anxious to collect some data with it.
    Nanopro MT oil stabilizer
    bellwilliam and bawareca like this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

    Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

  4. #144
    "Shoe"
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,832
    Liked
    572 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    I don't quite understand the point of flat plane v8 in this car. Ford went through so much trouble developing a new low volume engine.

    flat plane v8 gives the distinct wail, but this engine don't have it, because it doesn't have equal length intake.
    flat plane v8 supposed allows you to run lightened crank. yet it is heavy in this GT350
    flat pane v8 allows high rev, which you get here. but E9x M3 also has a 8,300rpm v8.

    flat plane v8 vibrates a ton, big negative imo. so unless one runs equal length intake and super light crank. then I don't see a point.
    Because Ford is badass and has balls.

    A lot affects an engine's sound: engine architecture, head design, valve count, cams, bore, stroke, firing order, intake manifold design, exhaust manifold design, etc...
    -The intake manifold has the same runner lengths
    -The 350 has an up, down, up, down crank design -that greatly changes the sound with the firing order vs, a Ferrari (or 4 cyl) up, down, down, up layout.
    -STROKE and DISPLACEMENT also have a significant impact on sound. As well as valve count. IMO the 3.5L 5-valve F355 has a much better, higher pitch sound than the bass-ier larger displacement 4.5L 458 italia. Both have a short stroke (77mm and 81mm respectively - off topic, an NSX has a 78mm stroke), now greatly increase that stroke and the sound will continue down that path and it makes sense why the 5.2L 93mm stroke 350 sounds the way it does.
    -Firing order and crank design was due to the single plenum design, to improve power and efficiency vs having 2 separate plenums like a ferrari. Cost and space constraints dictated the single plenum, similar in design to the stock manifold.
    -The 350 has a lighter crank, but the big harmonics due to the huge displacement and stroke drove a heavy and damped clutch/flywheel, but that's the cost of the big displacement.
    -The E9X M3 has a similar redline, but is gutless below 5Krpm, the GT350 has more torque than a 5.0L V8 across the board and the same power as the original Audi/Lambo 5.2L V10.

    Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    Agreed. Ford got their monies worth having Billy as a brand ambassador. That a pro driver of his stature finds time to share all the intel with us and retains his club racer integrity adds significant value to my Ford purchase. GM, you are doing it wrong.

    And yeah, the GT350 forums have some good info but like most forums, it's deeply polluted by guys with no real understanding posting conjecture, hyperbole and rumors.

    Also, I started a new thread about nanopro MT. I think this is significant enough tech to warrant its own discussion. Anxious to collect some data with it.
    Nanopro MT oil stabilizer
    That's why I don't post on those forums, as well as people would considered me biased and I really dont have the time or care to try to prove that i'm unbiased. Is the 350 the best car in the world and perfect? No, but it is a great car and the 350R is as fast as a first gen 991 GT3 (same driver, same sticker tire, on multiple tracks) -still blows my mind because the GT3 is so good. Heck, I intentionally tried to make the GT3 beat it and couldn't -and i've won races in Porsches. But I consider you all friends and know most of you, as well as we can have civil and educated conversations here, which is rare on most forums that have all walks of life. You guys are the 1% so I don't mind talking openly.
    Last edited by Stuntman; 08-01-2017 at 10:09 AM.

  5. #145
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    140
    Liked
    20 times

    Default

    GT350 is a bargain considering the price.
    VA(15) STI/FRS

  6. #146
    "Shoe"
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,832
    Liked
    572 times

    Default

    Oh yeah, the front brakes are insanely heavy. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, going to a proper 2pc front rotor will do a lot for weight reduction, unsprung weight, weight distribution, etc...

    GiroDisc is a quality and reputable brand, but they only shed 1.5lbs per corner:


    Girodisc Front 2pc Floating Rotors for Shelby GT350
    Last edited by Stuntman; 08-02-2017 at 02:55 PM.

  7. #147
    Senior Member fatbillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    by the beach
    Posts
    1,948
    Liked
    1555 times

    Default

    Ford has put the Brembo multi piston calipers even on the GT track package. Did Ford spec out good Brembo system that can stand up to club racing or do modifications still need to be done? Several race class use ballast as an equalizer. I have seen 3700lb min. weights. Can the Stock brakes take the extra weight?

  8. #148
    "Shoe"
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,832
    Liked
    572 times

    Default

    The stock GTPP's 6piston calipers and 15" rotors hold up to track use quite well. I would just put a race pad, GiroDisc 2pc rotor and proper ducting in.

  9. #149
    Senior Member bellwilliam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    La Verne, California, United States
    Posts
    7,687
    Liked
    2336 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Ford has put the Brembo multi piston calipers even on the GT track package. Did Ford spec out good Brembo system that can stand up to club racing or do modifications still need to be done? Several race class use ballast as an equalizer. I have seen 3700lb min. weights. Can the Stock brakes take the extra weight?
    I can't speak for others. But I pushed the car pretty hard (90%) at Sonoma, even locked up ABS a couple of times. Didn't feel any fade. And I am famous for being hard on the brakes.

    This was bone stock GT350. R (with r comp tires) would definitely be harder on brakes though.


    If this were ACS Roval, I would definitely run race pads instead.
    Olitho likes this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

  10. #150
    http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,664
    Liked
    2467 times

    Default

    OEM rotors can be found for $200 each if you dig around. Girodiscs are $550 each. Replacement Girodisc friction rings are $400 each. Within a few ounces of OEM. I'll stick with OEM until I run out of brakes or have problems with them.
    bellwilliam likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

    Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

  11. #151
    "Shoe"
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,832
    Liked
    572 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    I can't speak for others. But I pushed the car pretty hard (90%) at Sonoma, even locked up ABS a couple of times. Didn't feel any fade. And I am famous for being hard on the brakes.

    This was bone stock GT350. R (with r comp tires) would definitely be harder on brakes though.


    If this were ACS Roval, I would definitely run race pads instead.
    You're not going to fade the stock pads with SRF fluid.

    Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    OEM rotors can be found for $200 each if you dig around. Girodiscs are $550 each. Replacement Girodisc friction rings are $400 each. Within a few ounces of OEM. I'll stick with OEM until I run out of brakes or have problems with them.
    1.5lbs per rotor. I agree it's probably not worth the $.

  12. #152
    Senior Member fatbillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    by the beach
    Posts
    1,948
    Liked
    1555 times

    Default

    Sounds like I need a GT350 for a street weapon and a GT to race to replace my T2 Vette. I'm not sure why but I'm really attracted to the Mustangs in several flavors.
    bellwilliam likes this.

  13. #153
    Senior Member bellwilliam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    La Verne, California, United States
    Posts
    7,687
    Liked
    2336 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    You're not going to fade the stock pads with SRF fluid.
    ?? not sure what you are saying. you saying if I run SRF fluid, then I won't fade even at ACS Roval ? if that's the case, I am even more impressed. I don't think I've ran a worth tracky pads without noise and dust that I thought is a given.
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 08-02-2017 at 11:32 PM.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

  14. #154
    "Shoe"
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,832
    Liked
    572 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    ?? not sure what you are saying. you saying if I run SRF fluid, then I won't fade even at ACS Roval ? if that's the case, I am even more impressed. I don't think I've ran a worth tracky pads without noise and dust that I thought is a given.
    Yup, I would be surprised if you could fade the OEM pad with a good fluid like SRF in it. Stock pads are a bit dirty but quiet.
    bellwilliam likes this.

  15. #155
    Señor Member b3d3g1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    951
    Liked
    428 times

    Default

    can you you close this tread? seriously making me question why I don't have one. Even searched on autotrader for the one I would buy:
    https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ngId=445170549
    88b18422252e49058ca4eeb7f015eb47.jpg
    -Anthony
    1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
    2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 650LT - commuter
    2016 KTM 690 Duke - parked at the dealer

  16. #156
    Senior Member bellwilliam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    La Verne, California, United States
    Posts
    7,687
    Liked
    2336 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by b3d3g1 View Post
    can you you close this tread? seriously making me question why I don't have one. Even searched on autotrader for the one I would buy:
    https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ngId=445170549
    Attachment 11161
    that one doesn't have Recaro, but it is cooled and heated power seat....
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

  17. #157
    "Shoe"
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,832
    Liked
    572 times

    Default

    The GT350 Track pack turns the same lap times as a C7 Z51 and 911 Carrera S (pre turbo).

  18. #158
    Senior Member bellwilliam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    La Verne, California, United States
    Posts
    7,687
    Liked
    2336 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by b3d3g1 View Post
    can you you close this tread? seriously making me question why I don't have one. Even searched on autotrader for the one I would buy:
    https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ngId=445170549
    Attachment 11161
    We also paid $1,820 for Ford extended premium 8 years 75k miles bumper to bumper warranty.
    Thought that's super cheap for a $60k track car.
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 08-03-2017 at 12:00 PM.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

  19. #159
    Senior Member granth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    651
    Liked
    141 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by b3d3g1 View Post
    can you you close this tread? seriously making me question why I don't have one. Even searched on autotrader for the one I would buy:
    You do have this on your wedding registry right?
    bellwilliam and b3d3g1 like this.

  20. #160
    Senior Member JulioG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    115
    Liked
    56 times

    Default

    What makes the GT350 superior to a C7 Z51? Wouldn't the Vette be cheaper to run in the long run due to its weight advantage. For those who've driven both, is the Mustang more fun? I haven't driven the C7, but drove the GT350R at MRLS at launch, and although I liked the car a lot, it didn't blow me away.
    bellwilliam likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts