+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree313Likes

Thread: Ford GT350R thread

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    Thanks, it was pretty awesome to be part of the development of the GT350/R, RS, new GT, and a few upcoming cars as well.

There were a few reasons there was a 'base' GT350 and GT350 "Tech Pack", along with a "Track Package". Hitting certain price points (base was sub $50K MSRP), certain vehicle weights -for taxes and emissions, etc... I guess Ford way over-estimated the competence of their buyers and assumed if someone wanted to TRACK their car, they would buy the TRACK-package. After realizing their mistake, all GT350's had the coolers along with the more popular 'tech' touch screen -but at a corresponding higher vehicle weight and base price.

As a general fan of cars, I do have to give GM credit for their Z28 and SS 1LE -which have coolers, don't overheat on track, and are also great cars to drive - much better than BMW's M4. It's pretty great to see American manufacturers stepping it up across the board!
    The dealer sales people might be at fault on that too.
    Loose Caboose likes this.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Yes, a lot of clueless sales people at dealerships.
    J. Tyler likes this.

Liked
    464 times

Well I'm glad you took the plunge. Marketing is great for pony's too. Mustang guys love spending cash on their cars for cool stuff. And so they can be faster then the other mustang's. It's nice to be faster then other cars too. But being the fastest Mustang is much more important..

And I'm not even going to say see I told you so!
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Liked
    855 times

It's not an R.
    What are the differences other than:
    • (wider) carbon wheels
    • stickier tires
    • wing (vs. gurney flap)
    • larger splitter
    • different shocks
    • stripped interior
    . . . and a large "over sticker" price for the R?
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 07-19-2017 at 11:59 AM.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Pretty much, with excellent execution to make the car very well balanced. The carbon wheels do a lot more than youd imagine.

I'm still blown away how lap times overlay exactly with a 991.1 GT3 on so many different tracks.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2400 times
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    1486 times

Manufactuers are so conservative. From what I read about the potential of the Ford/GM 10sp auto gearbox when will the GT350 see one? The 10 speed will be in the base GT and track pack will be available for 2018. The 10speed made it into the raptor truck and did not blow up and it is doing fine in the Camaro. Manuals are great and all but who wants to be on a phone connected to a wall jack? The new 10speed is supposed to be hot hot hot!
    Olitho and bawareca like this.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Surprisingly, on a road course, the Auto ZL1 wasn't really any faster than the manual, despite more gears, shorter gears, and faster shifts...

Liked
    2283 times

It is all Billy's fault. After I drove Emilio's at Sonoma track. I bought a GT350 2 days ago at Tulsa Oklahoma, Alan also bought one and we are both now driving back home.

Billy you got to sign my car, it has you all over it. definitely know this is developed by a track guy.

Not so obvious pro and con:
    Pro: neutrally balanced. Runs over curbs well. Comfortable long distance cruiser. Stock brake that don't fade on track. Feels light despite 3,700 curb weight. V8 that's revs to 8,200 !! That's more than my old AP2 S2k !! Transmission that's perfect in gearing - 1-5 is a short ratio box with a super tall 6th.

Con: engine oil temp is high. I was hitting 285 on track and 270 on street (breaking engine in, revving like crazy). Steering in "sport" mode is artificial feeling, better in "comfort" mode. Panel fit is Tesla like, which means slightly better than Yugo and worse than Kia. Engine isn't smooth (flat plane v8 don't explain all of it). No torque low + super tall 6th gear means you have to down shift anytime you encounter a 1% incline - Weird in a 526hp car. No lumbar adjustment in seats.

Car is a guy magnet. May be it is a Midwest thing. Everywhere we stopped. Guys are hitting up a conversation. I.e. Driven a ton of nice cars. This attracts attention more than any others. Strange to me, it looks 97% like 10 million Mustangs out there. I bet when I am bet in California, no one would give it a 2nd look as no Californians knows their Muscle cars
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 08-02-2017 at 11:00 AM.
    bawareca and Loose Caboose like this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    It is all Billy's fault. After I drove Emilio's at Sonoma track. I bought a GT350 2 days ago at Tulsa Oklahoma, Alan also bought one and we are both now driving back home.

Billy you got to sign my car, it has you all over it. definitely know this is developed by a track guy.

Not so obvious pro and con:
    Pro: neutrally balanced. Runs over curbs well. Comfortable long distance cruiser. Stock brake that don't fade on track. Feels light despite 3,700 curb weight. V8 that's revs to 8,200 !! That's more than my old AP2 S2k !! Transmission that's perfect in gearing - 1-5 is a short ratio box with a super tall 6th.

Con: engine oil temp is high. I was hitting 285 on track and 270 on street (breaking engine in, revving like crazy). Steering in "sport" mode is artificial feeling, better in "comfort" mode. Panel fit is Tesla like, which means bottom 5%. Engine isn't smooth (flat plane v8 don't explain all of it). No torque low + super tall 6th gear means you have to down shift anytime you encounter a 1% incline. Weird in a 526hp car.

Car is a guy magnet. May be it is a Midwest thing. Everywhere we stopped. Guys are hitting up a conversation. I.e. Driven a ton of nice cars. This attracts attention more than any others. Strange to me, it looks 97% like 10 million Mustangs out there. I bet when I am bet in California, no one would give it a 2nd look as no Californians knows their Muscle cars
    Glad to hear you like it. Do you have a 2017 or a 16 with an oil cooler?

I don't recall our test cars running quite that hot on engine oil. Either way, add 2 quarts of NanoPro MT "Oil Stabilizer" - it greatly improves heat transfer of the oil and makes it run cooler.

*It revs to 8,250

6th gear is for fuel mileage. You aren't going to Daytona, where are you going to go over 175mph to need 6th?

The GT350 has more torque across the board, even down low, than a 5.0L Coyote V8 powered Mustang GT.

Don't touch the exhaust.

Welcome to the world and camaraderie of owning a Mustang. I have more people talk to me and compliment my boring 2016 Mustang GT daily driver than i have ever had talk to me about me M3s, NSX, Viper GTS, or most other cars i've driven.
    bellwilliam and BOWERSdaAZIAN like this.

Liked
    704 times

Welcome to the world and camaraderie of owning a Mustang. I have more people talk to me and compliment my boring 2016 Mustang GT daily driver than i have ever had talk to me about me M3s, NSX, Viper GTS, or most other cars i've driven.
    I wonder if having the Mustang means to others that the driver is more approachable. We know only a$$holes drive BMWs. Any old schmuck can own a Mustang and wreck it leaving Cars and Coffee.
    Olitho and bellwilliam like this.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

It's not just mustang owners. Young, old, car enthusiasts or random people in crappy cars. More people have talked and complimented my regular Mustang GT (not a cool GT350) than anything else iv'e driven. Hard to explain or believe until you drive one. Heck, my old Foxbody Mustang also got a ton of compliments.
    bellwilliam likes this.

Liked
    2400 times
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    2400 times

.., add 2 quarts of NanoPro MT "Oil Stabilizer" - it greatly improves heat transfer of the oil and makes it run cooler.
    2 quarts? That seems like a lot. The race teams you drove for used it or you are/were a paid spokesperson (full disclosure)?
    Checked out the website. Looks legit.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    2283 times

Billy: I got the 2017 with oil cooler.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    Ha Ha! I think I'll get one for William that says on top, "Watch this!"

And on the bottom, "Clear the sidewalk"
    bellwilliam likes this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    2 times

Hi, sorry to butt in but I wanted to ask Billy, why do you keep saying not to touch the exhaust? Performance/reliability reasons or just personal preference?
    bellwilliam likes this.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    2 quarts? That seems like a lot. The race teams you drove for used it or you are/were a paid spokesperson (full disclosure)?
    Checked out the website. Looks legit.
    NanoPros oil stabilizer treats up to 5 quarts. Since the GT350 has a 10qt capacity, replace 2qts with NanoPro.

Their website sucks and they are relaunching it in a big way soon. I've known the owner of the company since he started the technology 8 years ago. The tech originated in the Argonne National Labs and was refined and developed and then used in my racecars as a test bed for years. I've won a lot of races using it. Over the years, Nascar Cup teams used it then it took years more for it to be tested and used in $50 million army aircraft. It's the real deal. No other company has successfully suspended nano particles in oil or water for it to actually do it's job and work. Reduced friction is only half they key, more importantly is the greatly increased heat transfer ability of the oil and coolant.

Recently they took this tech and are selling it in retail outlets like Lowe's and AutoZone. Unfortunately they are a tiny company and their marketing sucks but they are turning that around. Their stuff works. From the greases (for axles and wheel bearings) to their Penetrating oil destroys PB Blaster, Kroil, etc... To free up rusted and frozen bolts, as well as preventing metal from rusting. I gave some cans to my friends shop and he now won't use anything else. And it also works as an amazing CLP for guns. The dry lube is amazing in key locks, door hinges, and anywhere you'd use WD40 (who are very nervous about NanoPro taking off).

It's not a paid advertisement but rather I'm blown away that this secret high level technology is now available to the public and I can talk about it, after keeping it a secret and racing with it for years. Go try one product and tell me if it doesnt work, and if you're as impressed as I am, you'll be trying out all their products.
    Olitho, bellwilliam and bawareca like this.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Quote Originally Posted by chopsui View Post
    Hi, sorry to butt in but I wanted to ask Billy, why do you keep saying not to touch the exhaust? Performance/reliability reasons or just personal preference?
    Stock exhaust has the best of both worlds from quiet to loud, and A LOT of testing was done to the clutch an exhaust to balance the vibration frequencies to prevent failures. Changing them will create an I'm balance and will break things in time.

Liked
    2400 times

Thanks. If you sift the through the info on nano pro, it's solid science and appears credible. Ordered wet lube for the bicycle, dry lube for the equipment in my safe, and oil stabilizer for the GT350.

Agreed on the exhaust. Just muted enough in closed mode to be fun and legal. Full race car in open mode. Makes power, covered by the factory warranty. Win.
    Olitho likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast