Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Ford GT350R thread

Liked
    223 times

Congrats, man. Those are cool cars.

Liked
    1413 times

Comments? How is it on track compared to your C6Z06?

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2267 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Comments? How is it on track compared to your C6Z06?
    No comparison. The GT350 is a better car in every way. There is a 10 year gap in technology between them.
    The C6Z obviously has more speed potential with the stock lbs/hp and aero drag ultimately but it is far from realized in the production version. Even the '15 was only mildly improved from my '08. Last few years had much better seats, mine are awful for spirited driving although quite comfy for long highway drives.
    I still love the C6Z but it simply is not a track weapon. To get it as track functional as the GT350 would take about 20k by my estimation. And that would be without all the driver selectable tuning which are now, pretty important to me.

The market has changed. When Chevy did the C6Z back in '06, they had not really done any HPDE or autocross specific engineering in the car. A little lip service here and there but it basically didn't work in that environment.

- Stock pads fry
    - Diff overheats
    - trans overheats
    - Engine oil overheats
    - Engine coolant overheats
    - Clutch slave boils from exhaust heat
    - Seats better suited for a highway boat van that a 200mph supercar
    - Stock tires have modest grip, run flat
    - Stock shocks massively under damped
    - Stock sway bars too soft
    - Zero useful gauges
    - Steering a bit numb

The GT350 OTOH, fixes all those things and has a truly amazing array of gauges and track apps. You might smirk at that but check it out:

Recorders
    0-60mph time
    1/4 mile time
    0-60 ft time
    built in lap timer
    lat and long G sensors and recorder

Gauges
    Diff temp
    Trans temp
    Cyl head temp
    Oil temp
    Oil pressure
    AFR
    adjustable heads up display shift lights, programmable

Driver selectable performance features
    Line lock (burnouts, drag)
    Steering force feedback - Comfort, Normal, Sport
    Magnetic adjustable suspension - Normal, Sport
    Exhaust - Normal, Sport
    Traction control - on/off
    Stability control - Normal, Sport, Wet weather, Track, Drag, Off

There is more than I'm forgetting but that dash and all the controls are fabulous. Forget to adjust things, just turn it on and go.. It's amazing in default mode and just gets better if you play with the settings.
    The car is very firm with a pronounced exhaust burble on the street to start. Turn AdvanceTrac (SC) off and enable Track Mode and it become a hard edged and antsy beast. A very loud one.

It's hard to convey just how good the GT350 is. Personally, it has been something of an epiphany. Frankly I was cautiously optimistic, borderline skeptical after reading all the reviews from competent drivers about how agile and track ready it was. I came away with a new found respect for Ford Performance
    and the team that put this car together. It is simply Right. The brakes, on stock pads mind you are flat amazeballs. Pounding into the braking zones lap after lap on a 100 day and they remain solid and predictable. Tires, felt like Hankook RS4's. Which is to say 1g+ grip and no problems with the 130 track temps and me hooning the crap out of it. Electric Power Steering was racecar flawless. So damn precise. Hauling ass into downhill off camber turns balancing the car with trail braking. Little pips from the ABS as the tires soak up the braking ripples. slowly carve into the apex and it just responds exactly as you requested. Exactly. fla
    Temps, oil got to 275 we think. Dunno because every time we hit track exit and looked down it was already 265 and plummeting. Everything else stayed in the low 200's. Oh and that engine.. Equal parts Wagner opera, Led Zeppelin, GE Mini gun. All blended into one mellifluous, melodic and soul stirring aria that doesn't just resonate in your chest,, but in your mind as you drift asleep.
    Yes I wax poetic but I'm serious, that funny crank, damn set of steel pipes and chambers does something to you. A very good something.

On the way home from Sonoma yesterday, long drive down I-5 I wondered what else I could ask for. Thought for quite a while. I remembered having to look down at the tack while on track.

Stuff I wish it had:

Adjustable lumbar support
    Heads up display for shift lights

That was it. Then I remembered something in the "gauges" tab in the display about shift lights. I figured it was some hokey blinking light on the tach. Enabled and was treated to F1 style shift lights right above the top of the wheel in the heads up. OMG. This car is perfect.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    2183 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    The market has changed. When Chevy did the C6Z back in '06, they had not really done any HPDE or autocross specific engineering in the car. A little lip service here and there but it basically didn't work in that environment.

- Stock pads fry
    - Diff overheats
    - trans overheats
    - Engine oil overheats
    - Engine coolant overheats
    - Clutch slave boils from exhaust heat
    - Seats better suited for a highway boat van that a 200mph supercar
    - Stock tires have modest grip, run flat
    - Stock shocks massively under damped
    - Stock sway bars too soft
    - Zero useful gauges
    - Steering a bit numb

good way of selling your c6z06 !!
    bikeindirt and Blackbird like this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    16 Cruze, free car !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    2183 times

omigod yes

video should be titled "4 hours after taking delivery, because dealership is 2.5 hours away"
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 07-17-2017 at 11:57 AM.
    Olitho, J. Tyler and psychoazn like this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    16 Cruze, free car !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    2267 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    video should be titled "4 hours after taking delivery, with dealership 2.5 hours away"
    2.5 hours, lol.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    2267 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    good way of selling your c6z06 !!
    Oh yeah, forgot

- Oil starves in long left hand turns with sticky tires

Make you good deal!
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    460 times

Glad to hear you liked the car! They tend to like hot pressures around 34-36psi. Also I would not recommend touching the clutch or exhaust, and warm the oil up to 140* before revving or getting on it aggressively.

Enjoy!

Liked
    1413 times

You got the 350R correct?

Liked
    460 times

It's not an R.

Liked
    2267 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    Glad to hear you liked the car! They tend to like hot pressures around 34-36psi. Also I would not recommend touching the clutch or exhaust, and warm the oil up to 140* before revving or getting on it aggressively.

Enjoy!
    Thanks for the inside tips. Didn't take a pyro to Sonoma. Dealer had tires wait over inflated. I dropped a bunch but were still like 40 hot.
    Been waiting to 160
    Exhaust kicks ass. Not really planning any mods unless I start to see uneven tire wear. In such case I would adjust alignment to get better wear on track.

Car is just so well balanced right off the showroom floor. Just blows my mind.
    Stuntman and Gian like this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    1413 times

When Z06 vette owners are suing GM for track UNworthness it is great to hear an OEM get it right. Kudo's to Ford. For most mere mortals by the way the base GT id doing very well in SCCA racing classes and basically dominates in T2. So much so SCCA keeps giving them narrower tires now down to 275's and they are still winning and setting T2 track records.

Liked
    840 times

Wow.

That's one lap happy, tire talkin', wild, wild pony. . .
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 07-17-2017 at 09:19 PM.

Liked
    42 times

How many days do you think you can get out of the GT350's magnetorheological dampers before they need to be serviced or replaced? Does Ford service them, is there an official support partner?

Liked
    460 times

Thanks for the inside tips. Didn't take a pyro to Sonoma. Dealer had tires wait over inflated. I dropped a bunch but were still like 40 hot.
    Been waiting to 160
    Exhaust kicks ass. Not really planning any mods unless I start to see uneven tire wear. In such case I would adjust alignment to get better wear on track.

The car has no grip, squirms around, and is complete crap above 40psi. Next time you're out try 40psi hot, then bleed them to 36psi and get back to me. I think you'll be even more impressed.

Grind off the "knirling" on the front struts bolts to get to the Ford recommended -1.5 to -1.75* front camber. You don't need more than -2 with that wide of a front tire.
    Blackbird and jqsti2015 like this.

Liked
    31 times

When Z06 vette owners are suing GM for track UNworthness it is great to hear an OEM get it right.
    Well, Ford didn't have it right at first (2016) but got it right with the 2017's. 2016 GT350 owners could choose either the track-pack car OR the more luxury premium package (nav, etc.). The track-pack car came with a differential cooler and a transmission cooler whereas the more expensively optioned car did not. These higher-trim cars over-heated the transmission very quickly on the track and I think there are now numerous lawsuits against Ford - who clearly positioned BOTH trims as track-capable cars. The transmission cooler, in particular, was a big deal and required a transmission swap-out if you wanted to retrofit the cooler. In 2017, Ford equipped BOTH of the trim levels with the trans and diff coolers.... something that ALL of the GT350R's had from the get-go.

Liked
    2267 times

Thanks again for the intel Billy. It's really awesome that a driver who it is made it to your level still helps out the little guy with the product you are so familiar with. Kudos to you and the entire Ford racing program. Chevy has nothing like this and it is why I am now Mustang owner and I'm selling the ZO6.

WRT to the class action lawsuit. It is stupid. People decided not to get the optional coolers for track use and then complain that it overheated on track. They're idiots. Certainly there are owners that are just going to street drive it, maybe do some weekend drags or autocross and didn't need the coolers. So it made sense of Ford to offer the coolers as an option.
    The non motoring press states that Ford "fixed" the problem. All they did was made them standard so people couldn't be the dumb.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    27 times

Tell us about the factory warranty?
    Last edited by rikgray; 07-18-2017 at 09:33 PM.

Liked
    2267 times

Quote Originally Posted by rikgray View Post
    Tell us about the factory warranty?
    It has one.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    460 times

Thanks again for the intel Billy. It's really awesome that a driver who it is made it to your level still helps out the little guy with the product you are so familiar with. Kudos to you and the entire Ford racing program. Chevy has nothing like this and it is why I am now Mustang owner and I'm selling the ZO6.

WRT to the class action lawsuit. It is stupid. People decided not to get the optional coolers for track use and then complain that it overheated on track. They're idiots. Certainly there are owners that are just going to street drive it, maybe do some weekend drags or autocross and didn't need the coolers. So it made sense of Ford to offer the coolers as an option.
    The non motoring press states that Ford "fixed" the problem. All they did was made them standard so people couldn't be the dumb.
    Thanks, it was pretty awesome to be part of the development of the GT350/R, RS, new GT, and a few upcoming cars as well.

There were a few reasons there was a 'base' GT350 and GT350 "Tech Pack", along with a "Track Package". Hitting certain price points (base was sub $50K MSRP), certain vehicle weights -for taxes and emissions, etc... I guess Ford way over-estimated the competence of their buyers and assumed if someone wanted to TRACK their car, they would buy the TRACK-package. After realizing their mistake, all GT350's had the coolers along with the more popular 'tech' touch screen -but at a corresponding higher vehicle weight and base price.

As a general fan of cars, I do have to give GM credit for their Z28 and SS 1LE -which have coolers, don't overheat on track, and are also great cars to drive - much better than BMW's M4. It's pretty great to see American manufacturers stepping it up across the board!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast