+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
Like Tree313Likes

Thread: Ford GT350R thread

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    Having never run the PSC2 I can only guesstimate. You're probably the only one here that has driven both and knows how to evaluate a tire. Any idea what the downforce difference is between the two at say 100 or 150mph?

I though I read somewhere that the GT350 makes about 100lbs at 100mph or something like that. Not much, but no lift. Even a little aero definitely a factor at WSIR with avg speeds for the lap hovering at 100mph. As always, too many variables to create a useful data point but the key takeaway for me is that it's a genuine sub 1:30 car at WSIR in ideal weather.
    That impresses this Miata driver
    Hey Emilio and Stuntman, I've enjoyed reading both your comments on the GT350. As a recent purchaser of an R (Had to purchase way out of state to avoid "rear entry" on pricing here in California) and relatively new track driver in the SoCal area (2years/30 track days). So far I've done all my tracking in a 991 GT3 with a personal best at Willow of 129.5 on Re71R's. I was of course very interested in your observations of the car at Willow. Any difficult spots with the car? Was the car stable at high speeds on turn 8 or did you ever feel like it was about to break lose? Were you driving in the stock seats? If so how was the support during the corners? Do you have a roll bar in the car? If not what is your harness set up? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to sort out the set up on the car. I just had some Vorschlag camber plates installed yesterday and had car set up with -2.0 camber in front and -1.5 in the rear. "0" toe in front and just a touch in (total 3/32) on the back. Would love to hear your thoughts on the Setup Stuntman. Thanks guys. Any help is appreciated.
    Loose Caboose likes this.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2391 times

Quote Originally Posted by Wooly View Post
    .. I was of course very interested in your observations of the car at Willow.
    Any difficult spots with the car?
    None. Mileage is heinous and tank is small so you go through the tank quickly

Was the car stable at high speeds on turn 8 or did you ever feel like it was about to break lose?
    Neutral, predictable. Slight push in the middle of T2.

Were you driving in the stock seats? If so how was the support during the corners?
    Stock Recaros. Good support for me and I'm thin. Race seats would obviously be more supportive but I'm not interested in going that far in mods on mine.

Do you have a roll bar in the car?
    No

If not what is your harness set up?
    OEM. Just ordered a Simpson Hybrid-S to work with the OEM belts
    See above
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    1486 times

Hey Emilio and Stuntman, I've enjoyed reading both your comments on the GT350.
    Welcome to trackHQ! IIRC Stuntman said he was surprised at the near identical laptimes between 350GT and GT3. What are your comments between your past porsche and the 350R?

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    welcome to trackhq! Iirc stuntman said he was surprised at the near identical laptimes between 350gt and gt3. What are your comments between your past porsche and the 350r?
    350r & gt3

Liked
    1 times

Thanks Emilio. Yes, just driving around town I know what you are talking about with the small gas tank and poor mileage. The needle seems to move before my eyes. I feel like at a track like Willow I would be driving to the gas station after every session. I am trying to not mod the car out much either. I'd like to keep the stock recaros but I am not a small guy at 6'2" and 230. Tough fit for my ass as those seats are pretty narrow. I hope they will work for me on track at speed. I also don't want to put in a roll bar and just bought a set of Schroth Quick Fit Pro harnesses so that I can have better restraint and wear my HANS.

Stuntman is right in that I do still have the GT3 along with the R. As for comparing the two, I have yet to have the R on track so I don't have any comparison yet. I'm sure for me to replicate my times in the GT3 in the R would be difficult as this will be my first time on track with a manual transmission. I will certainly need some practice before my times will come around. I only have 500 miles on the R and am still breaking it in. I hope to have it on the track in October. Hey Stuntman, any thoughts on my setup? I would love your input.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Liked
    2282 times

On FB. I posted my screen shot of mpg at ACS. It was 5.4mpg. That's 2 sessions from a full tank to low fuel warning light.
    Olitho and jqsti2015 like this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Thanks Emilio. Yes, just driving around town I know what you are talking about with the small gas tank and poor mileage. The needle seems to move before my eyes. I feel like at a track like Willow I would be driving to the gas station after every session. I am trying to not mod the car out much either. I'd like to keep the stock recaros but I am not a small guy at 6'2" and 230. Tough fit for my ass as those seats are pretty narrow. I hope they will work for me on track at speed. I also don't want to put in a roll bar and just bought a set of Schroth Quick Fit Pro harnesses so that I can have better restraint and wear my HANS.

Stuntman is right in that I do still have the GT3 along with the R. As for comparing the two, I have yet to have the R on track so I don't have any comparison yet. I'm sure for me to replicate my times in the GT3 in the R would be difficult as this will be my first time on track with a manual transmission. I will certainly need some practice before my times will come around. I only have 500 miles on the R and am still breaking it in. I hope to have it on the track in October. Hey Stuntman, any thoughts on my setup? I would love your input.

Thanks for all the input guys.
    It depends on what track you are running at. If it's BW or SOW, you'll probably be fine. If you are at a higher speed track like WSIR or Thunderhill, you may not have the high speed corner entry stability as the factory alignment, which calls for 0.30* toe IN at the rear. I would personally run the factory to spec at first so you know how the car should handle before playing around with it and possibly complaining of high speed comfort issues that is due to your alignment and not the car itself.

Ford Spec calls for just a touch of front toe IN (0.06* total). Not much different from 0, but front toe-IN improves steering response and turn-in sharpness.

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    On FB. I posted my screen shot of mpg at ACS. It was 5.4mpg. That's 2 sessions from a full tank to low fuel warning light.
    Pretty good for a racecar.
    Olitho, bellwilliam and Wooly like this.

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    That sounds about right. On my 400ish RWHP race car I use 5.5 MPG to calculate my fuel load for races.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    It depends on what track you are running at. If it's BW or SOW, you'll probably be fine. If you are at a higher speed track like WSIR or Thunderhill, you may not have the high speed corner entry stability as the factory alignment, which calls for 0.30* toe IN at the rear. I would personally run the factory to spec at first so you know how the car should handle before playing around with it and possibly complaining of high speed comfort issues that is due to your alignment and not the car

Ford Spec calls for just a touch of front toe IN (0.06* total). Not much different from 0, but front toe-IN improves steering response and turn-in sharpness.

Pretty good for a racecar.
    I guess I'm just used to the GT3 and it's huge gas tank. (23.9 gallons)
    I didn't know that was the factory spec. I'll adjust my toe accordingly.
    Last edited by Wooly; 09-13-2017 at 11:18 AM.

Liked
    1 times

I guess I'm just used to the GT3 and it's huge gas tank. (23.9 gallons)
    Sorry, my comment about adjusting my rear toe setting to the factory spec was supposed to be outside of your quote bubble. Thanks for the input.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Just to clarify: 0.30* TOTAL toe IN at the rear. Factory camber is -1.75*/-1.25* F&R. Your settings are fine, just check tire temps.

Liked
    2282 times

It depends on what track you are running at. If it's BW or SOW, you'll probably be fine. If you are at a higher speed track like WSIR or Thunderhill, you may not have the high speed corner entry stability as the factory alignment, which calls for 0.30* toe IN at the rear. I would personally run the factory to spec at first so you know how the car should handle before playing around with it and possibly complaining of high speed comfort issues that is due to your alignment and not the car itself.

Billy: can you clarify what you recommend for toe front and rear. you said "factory spec at first", so what comes next after ? thanks.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Nothing wrong with the factory track alignment, which is capable of making a 350R as fast as a GT3. From there, measure tire temps to fine tune camber, and then run as little rear toe in as you can handle. As you lower rear toe-IN, the car becomes less comfortable at turn-in even though it will take a comfortable set and have more rear grip mid-corner than your turn-in led you to believe -due to the roll center migration.
    bellwilliam and bawareca like this.

Liked
    2391 times

Based on Billy's reports of the R aero being worth more than a second on a 2:00 course, I ordered the factory R splitter and a FRP replica R wing. We're taking our car to Buttonwillow Sept 23-34 as it is now, bone stock. Really anxious to see what it will do on the stock tires.
    Temps around that time are usually mid 80's so the first morning sessions will be halfway decent. 1:57 on 13CW?
    jqsti2015 likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

It's a pita to swap the splitter at the track, but I would have loved to hear your feedback on a back to back test. What wing did you go with?

R aero, rs4, I'd bet sub 55. I'd guess an R at a 52-54.

Liked
    2391 times

It's a pita to swap the splitter at the track, but I would have loved to hear your feedback on a back to back test. What wing did you go with?

R aero, rs4, I'd bet sub 55. I'd guess an R at a 52-54.
    OEM front, HCM rear
    2015-2017 Mustang Fiberglass OEM Style GT350R Rear Wing – HCMCARBON

Not all of the GT350R replica wings are accurate copies. This one, after studying many pics, appears to be dead on. Hope it's not too heavy. I'll have to fill a few holes in the trunk.

BRP will be all OEM. The car is going to AIM next week for them to build a device config file so their loggers will read all the neat info from the native sensor array. So hopefully I can get a good lap and do a complete data overlay with a bone stock car
    on 13CW. Lot of folks will want to see that.

Once the aero is on, we might go back on the same setup but it won't be a direct A/B. Different day/weather.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Not familiar with HCM. Hard to tell by pics in regards to the shape and camber of the wing, but the end plates are for sure off. Anderson is way off and C2C seems to be the best replica.

There's a lot of camber to the wing, which also hurts MPG, but weaker replicas tend to buffet and flutter at high speeds vs the super stiff OEM wing.

Liked
    2282 times

Edit
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 09-13-2017 at 07:15 PM.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    1486 times

Maybe before you guys muck things up you and E get together and measure both cars full deal ride heights corners and everything? Another cool thing would be one guy make a change and you guys got 2 cars to get immediate feedback on what works and what does not.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Edit
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Stuntman; 09-13-2017 at 07:20 PM.
    jqsti2015 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast