+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By B Esquire

Thread: Valkyrie 350Z ST3 conversion update: Seibon Carbon and Motordyne!

Liked
    3 times

Default Valkyrie 350Z ST3 conversion update: Seibon Carbon and Motordyne!

We've been hard at work on the car after our opening round at Sonoma Raceway. Results and data from the first event showed the suspension and chassis was pretty well sorted out thanks to our new JRZ's, and full SPL bearings and control arm setup. Running at about 10.2:1 weight/hp adjusted out of a class allowed 9:1, we needed less weight, and more power!

Enter Seibon Carbon and Motordyne Engineering. Both companies were consulted on the details and specs of their respective products, some math was done, and deals were made!

Our biggest hurdle was weight. Class comparable cars are running 2600-2800 lbs w/driver, we were a long way off. Seibon makes some really amazing dry carbon products, and we choose to go with the hood and the doors for the best bang for the buck. We also went with their standard carbon deck lid which still saved us about 60 lbs. Weight savings in total for those three pieces was over 100 lbs!!! The car now sits on the scales w/ driver at around 2900 lbs. With roughly another 50 lbs to save with aluminum hat rotors, clutch, and some odds and ends, I think we will make out target weight of 2850 w/driver.

Our dyno results from our initial setup of our JWT cams and intake, PPE headers, and rev up oil pump allowing a few more revs, yielded pretty nice results, but it was pretty clear that the engine was struggling with airflow at higher RPM. Motordyne provided their 1/2" plenum spacer and isothermal gasket, and we changed out to a rev up style lower plenum. The results were exactly what we hoped for with a 10 HP increase at 7000 RPM and no drop off after 5800 like there was before. Now our HP curve is almost dead flat from 5800 up to our shift point of 7200. Pretty nice considering the ST/TT rules don't account for area under the curve in determining power to weight, just peak numbers.

All that done we are now racing at an adjusted power to weight of closer to 9.3:1. Almost to our class limit with plenty of options left on how to get there, mainly more weight reduction.

We race at Thunderhill this weekend. The track should favor the car, can't wait to see if we have a chance at the track record!img_0922.jpgimg_0923.jpgimg_0924.jpgimg_0926.jpgimg_0928.jpgimg_0930.jpgimg_0932.jpgimg_0934.jpgimg_0935.jpgimg_0937.jpg

Liked
    188 times

Looking good. I saw you guys at Sonoma but didn't have a chance to swing by.
    I'll make some time to come see this thing in person at Thunderhill this weekend!

Also, Noah over at LIC mentioned that one of their guys was driving one of the Valkyrie Zs at Sonoma... would that be you, by chance?

Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by Schmoe Money View Post
    Looking good. I saw you guys at Sonoma but didn't have a chance to swing by.
    I'll make some time to come see this thing in person at Thunderhill this weekend!

Also, Noah over at LIC mentioned that one of their guys was driving one of the Valkyrie Zs at Sonoma... would that be you, by chance?
    Thanks! Yeah please swing by and say hi.

Noah was probably referring to Tim Bailey. He is a racing partner of mine, he tunes all the teams cars, and he is working on getting his competition license. He works at COBB Tuning. I drive the car with Tim in TT3 and another co-driver in ST3.

See you at T Hill!

+ Reply to Thread