+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Blackbird
  • 1 Post By bawareca

Thread: Z3 as track car?

Liked
    2 times

Default Z3 as track car?

These things are really cheap now, lots for $5000ish, I saw a runner for half that much. I even saw a beat up M for only $5000. I know they have their flaws, they don't seem very popular as track or autox cars, but for that price are they worth bothering with?

Liked
    662 times

Not even if the car was given to me. I don't remember all of their flaws but a Miata is way better in that price/performance level. E30s, E36 and 46 I'd give a try but not a Z3. I wouldn't mind a M Coupe as a street car though, I always liked those.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    569 times

^^^True. Hard to make handle well and not really lightweight. Short wheelbase combined with the rear trailing arms makes it snappy.

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

Snappy? What? I wonder if I drove the same car...

The z3 track ready, right out of the box albeit not very fast despite having similar weight and power to an S2000. They understeer like Australian cattle, stop slower than cruise ships and are overall not very engaging to drive. The reverse of snappy, I'd describe the Z3 as stable, a little too stable. Getting the suspension dialed it takes a lot of time and money, namely because camber in the rear is difficult to obtain. The suspension is just awful.

I wouldn't hesitate to drive a z3 as a street car, but there are better choices as track cars.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    569 times

^^^I guess you have owned one for a long time.

Liked
    1358 times

I think the Z3 also has the weak rear subframe issue too.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1772 times

Diff ears like to shear off.
    I swear BMW is the dumbest car manufacturer, they'll stick 200 lbs of sound deadening in the car to make it quieter, but connect diffs, subframes and control arms to the car with the thinnest sheet metal that will subsequently self destruct even in normal street use.
    Thanks, Obama.

Liked
    569 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Diff ears like to shear off.
    I swear BMW is the dumbest car manufacturer, they'll stick 200 lbs of sound deadening in the car to make it quieter, but connect diffs, subframes and control arms to the car with the thinnest sheet metal that will subsequently self destruct even in normal street use.
    Thanks, Obama.
    I would say Hitler is more to blame than Obama, but hey, it must be someone's fault
    I honestly prefer to have a weak floor and real head protection, not the other way around.

Liked
    742 times

Quote Originally Posted by bawareca View Post
    ^^^I guess you have owned one for a long time.
    My brother owns it, but I've driven it a handful of times on and off the street. I don't think he'll be tracking it again because I convinced him to get a Miata for the fun stuff.

https://youtu.be/MVx-a1laKng
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    443 times

Unless it's an S54 powered M-Coupe, pass on it. Their E30 rear subframes and flimsy chassis make them pretty weak, especially in convertible form. I enjoyed racing a Z3 Coupe 10 years ago, but I don't think it would be worth the effort when there are better platforms out there.

Liked
    569 times

We had one in the family from 2007-my wife's daily driver until last year. I did a few track days with it and in a completely stock form it felt snappy to me. It is now on a crossroad to be restored, sold or turned into a track car, but I dont really see the benefits of making a full-blown race car. But who knows............

Olitho likes this.

Liked
    742 times

That is bizarre! It's as if you're driving another car! I was trying to upset the car all day at Laguna Seca and it wouldn't break loose.

On one hand, yours is stock and my brother's is modified. On the other hand the car felt the same to me when it was stock, but we never took it to the track that way.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    569 times

Yeah, for 1 day I have had more spins than with my 300++hp E30. Truth to be told the rear tires were 245/40/18 R888 with half thread that may have been somewhat heat-cycled out.

+ Reply to Thread