• 1 Post By Stuntman
  • 2 Post By Estoril
  • 1 Post By bawareca
  • 1 Post By markn

Thread: E46 front brakes

Liked
    2305 times

Default E46 front brakes

It's time to replace the front brakes on my money-pit E46, but I'll admit I don't know what to put on it.

It's a daily driver I'd like to do track days and autocrosses with if it ever proves itself reliable enough to handle them, so I'd like a pad that's "trackable" at 7/10ths to 9/10ths. Also, I'd like pads that don't leave behind a lot of brake dust.

Whatever is on it now makes a mess of the wheels within about 1.5 weeks of regular driving. Is there a particular brand anyone has had success with on an E46?

Liked
    764 times

Are you looking for pads for every occasion, or would you be swapping them out for motorsports?
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    2305 times

Pads for every occasion. Not so track-oriented that they are useless for daily driving. Not so street focused that they require one cool-down for every hot lap.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    582 times

Good luck finding one that doesn't dust. Otherwise Ferodo HP1000s fit the bill. Although the stock brakes aren't quite up to the task for the weight of the car.
    ucfbrett likes this.

Liked
    24 times

Your priority of ""trackable" at 7/10ths to 9/10ths" and "not a lot of dust" are incompatible. A performance pad for track is going to dust. Low dust pads are low(er) braking effectiveness pads.

You either need to swap pads for track (gets to be a pain) - or drive within the limits of whatever pad you choose.

Beware pads marketed as "Track/street and low dust". Its a lie. And they can do some scary things when the pad reaches MOT.

Consider better performance pads (that dust) - and use RejeX on your wheels. Applied well when clean - the dust comes off easily.
    ucfbrett and bawareca like this.

Liked
    673 times

I prefer OEM ATE for my cars. They are dusty, and I hate that, but the performance is exceptional as i would expect for BMW. I have never had a fade in any of my cars and hey were able to stop my ~5500lbs X5 on ACS 7-8 times for T3 at ACS before starting to fade, but I never lost braking completely. The 330i stock brakes would be adequate for almost anyone except Stuntman
    Now, the E90 M3 brakes are raaaly inadequate for the weight and the power.
    ucfbrett likes this.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    363 times

I really like the StopTech Street/Race pads. I've used these on the Miatas, BMW 330, and our street M3 with good results. I haven't paid attention to the amount of dust though I don't think it is worse than the OEM pads. I use these pads on the Miatas when they are in HPDE or driver coaching mode. They are inexpensive compared to race pads and wear quite well. I've had some pro drivers use the cars for coaching gigs and they had good things to say about the pads race track performance.
    ucfbrett likes this.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

+ Reply to Thread