+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: E30 saga continues

Liked
    641 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    This is a good call
    Just putting in practice what i am learning from your [amazing] projects. And today is the right day to say thank you for sharing them with us
    fatbillybob and Blackbird like this.

Liked
    641 times

As most people that have done a serious project of this caliber know, it would be easy to build a new car than re-do the existing. Maybe next time this is what I am going to do, but probably there will be no next time. And acid dipping is a must, all this undercoating is killing me and my lungs.
    Anyhow, I was able to log a few extra hours around the holidays. This project along with my work schedule is way more I could normally handle(and I am not on 20, not even on 30), but i know that I have to do it quickly. Once I loose speed it will take years to finish the project.
    As almost everything original or from my previous build has to be reworked, so the pedals and the brake booster must go too. That includes new plumbing, so I will just upgrade to a more modern 4 channel ABS System from the donor M3. There are Motorsport ABS units out there(same hardware, different programming, Porsche guys convert to them too), but at $1500+ I will just pass. I am not a driver that relies on the ABS, but I hate flatspotted tires.

The "exhaust compartment":

Gold. A lot of gold here:

Firewall almost ready:
    Last edited by bawareca; 11-30-2016 at 09:41 AM.
    2GRX7 and b3d3g1 like this.

Liked
    641 times

Having some engine fun. This thing is pretty advanced technology, but if not abused fares pretty well. This particular example seems to be well taken care of and probably never been opened. The rod bearings are one of the things that need to be addressed. The original ones are not in a bad condition for a ~100k miles engine that revs to 8000 rpm.

Very interesting cam profile.

I dont accept any solid mounts in the driveline and the PU engine and transmission mounts often separate the metal plate from the PU. I have decided to enclose the original [solid] rubber mounts. I'll see how it will perform, but in theory that should be the best of both worlds.

Last edited by bawareca; 12-15-2016 at 09:10 AM.
    Force McCocken likes this.

Liked
    641 times

After looking at Moti's and Ryan's excellence I feel that i have to stop posting images of my hack jobs, but I have started already, so why not continue
    After replacing the conrod bearings, rebuilding the VANOS(variable valve timing system) and adjusting the valve clearance it is time to move on to that historical moment-final engine installation.
    The engine compartment clean and ready.

Comparison of the original dual mass flywheel and the single mass lightweight. Minumum 20lbs lighter.

I have also decided to go with a 5 speed transmission instead of the original M3 six speed. Savings are 30-35lbs. With the high revving engine i can get away with a decent diff ratio (3.91) and a top speed around 140mph.

It is always fun to install engine all by myself with basic equipment, but I managed this time too. With the airbox removed there is a free access everywhere. At least 6 inches on the back too, even the transmission bolts can be removed from the top.

The front axle center line goes right under cylinder #2, the ballance and polar moment should be much better than stock. If it only was a V6.....
    Last edited by bawareca; 12-21-2016 at 02:38 PM.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1885 times

Quote Originally Posted by bawareca View Post
    After looking at Moti's and Ryan's excellence I feel that i have to stop posting images of my hack jobs
    Don't stop, definitely keep posting.
    You're doing A-okay and posting pics may very well help others give you some constructive notes

Liked
    39 times

Thats some nice fabrication work! Have you got enough clearance to get tools onto the bellhousing bolts with the engine installed? If not, you can use cup head bolts, and run the tool in from the cabin through small holes in the firewall.
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    641 times

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkles View Post
    Thats some nice fabrication work! Have you got enough clearance to get tools onto the bellhousing bolts with the engine installed? If not, you can use cup head bolts, and run the tool in from the cabin through small holes in the firewall.
    There is more than enough room to remove the bolts.

Liked
    641 times

This year I combined Thanksgiving and Christmas in one, because race car
    Another part of the car that i am researching for many years is the proper suspension. Because of the hybrid ( not this kind of hybrid) nature of my suspension, taken from other BMW models, there is no off-the-shelf bolt-on suspension for this car. The suspension manufacturers and builders are willing to deal with a custom stuff only if charging ridiculous amounts of money. Enter "Nitron"-small British manufacturer. This stuff is art, everything is custom made. Thanks to a friend of mine who is distributor of Nitron, and who was amazingly nice to let me buy the setup at his wholesale price, it now sits in my garage. Of course it will need some small modifications, but is largely bolt-on.

And of course, here is the problem: someone (me ) ordered hose length 120mm, instead of 1200 mm. Luckily Nitron has a rebuild/repair facility stateside so the re-do should not cost arm and leg.

Liked
    855 times

Very impressive remote control, that's for sure.

According to Nitron:

A piggyback or remote reservoir allows for tool-free, quick, simple and independent control of compression and rebound damping. Widely praised by journalists and revered in paddocks across Europe, North America and Japan.

Nitron High Perfomance Coilover Racing Shocks For Your BMW
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    2243 times

What is the benefit of running the exhaust through the passenger compartment? Is it just to get the header and exhaust up and out of the airstream under the car?

Liked
    855 times

Keeps you warm on cold days . . .

bawareca likes this.

Liked
    641 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    What is the benefit of running the exhaust through the passenger compartment? Is it just to get the header and exhaust up and out of the airstream under the car?
    I plan to make a flat floor some day and I need it out of the way. I dont know why i need one, but it is cool

Liked
    2243 times

Yeah, I dig seeing the exhaust tip exiting on the sides.

Liked
    641 times

Like always in life, dangers are where you dont expect them. Or, expected dangers are more safer Anyhow, i expected the wiring to be quick and painless, but it took me me much longer than planned. I have decided to use part of the OEM M3 harness and cut it down to the essentials. I will use the M3 instrument cluster as it has even built-in programmable shift lights. This early generation "hybrid" electronics turned out to be a b!tch. The communication between the modules is a mix of analog and digital signals resulting in a rather complicated wiring harness. Just as an example, this instrument cluster has around 30 wires connected to it opposed to the next model which has less than 10. Everything is digital signal (CAN bus)+ a few sensors connected.
    So i started with this:

And got it down to the essentials:
    [

Next phase-engine start is due this month
    ucfbrett and Force McCocken like this.

Liked
    744 times

^ witchcraft!!!

Nice progress. That wiring harness work would make most wither. I like where this is going.
    bawareca and Loose Caboose like this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    641 times

Been logging a lot of hours recently, but the actual progress is so slow :-((( At least one deadline was met and she was running at the last day of January :-)))
    Note to self: next time start with a blank, acid dipped body, tube chassis preferred.
    The engine tune will be "alpha-n" type, i.e. speed density, i.e. no MAF sensor. Hence the straight intake pipe.

Interior is getting together slowly, and at the end of each day i want to re-do everything :-)))

I wanted to avoid pair of master power switches, and have been thinking long and hard about the location. Hopefully I will never have a chance to figure out if it is easy to operate by the corner workers or a semi-conscious driver. I intend to paint the bracket red and put a few stickers around it.

Finally got to install my new fashion shifter and celebrate a bit. It is actually connexted and working. The free play is not completely gone, but it is the tighter shifter I remember on a BMW.
    Olitho, robburgoon and ucfbrett like this.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1885 times

Kiril, you can always drill a small hole in the flat part of the switch and run a bicycle cable (I've used fire pulls for this) through it.
    Use cable clamps along the way to the second location and make sure there's no binding in the cable, that way you can have a second location that turns off the same switch.
    I've done this many times.

Liked
    641 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Kiril, you can always drill a small hole in the flat part of the switch and run a bicycle cable (I've used fire pulls for this) through it.
    Use cable clamps along the way to the second location and make sure there's no binding in the cable, that way you can have a second location that turns off the same switch.
    I've done this many times.
    Great advice, appreciated. And a good way to make the switch accessible without being exposed to the elements.

Liked
    855 times

Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    ^ witchcraft!!!

Nice progress. That wiring harness work would make most wither. I like where this is going.
    th9.jpg

Liked
    641 times

Once bitten by the turbo bug there is no cure. For sure I will be happy with the car for a while, but the turbo fever will kick in at one point. So i sometimes i have his visions of a "standalone" turbo, with a separate oiling and cooling system. 5-6 lbs of boost between 5000 and 8000 RPM will probably result in something very close to 400whp with negligible backpressure.

The exhaust is at least almost finished. Just need to attach the heat shields and fabricate the cover.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast