+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: BMW love/HATE rant

Liked
    760 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    There must be a way to make simple, reliable racecars out of BMWs. Racetracks are full of them. Don't shops like Turner and Bimmerworld make more durable replacements for all the plastic pieces?
    I haven't looked at most of the models after '05/06, but Zionsville makes a lot of cooling system pieces. I was looking at them when I owned my e36m3. It's not really a concern on the e46 (for me) because it's just a DD.

BMW E46 3 Series – Zionsville Autosport

I'm sure there are other companies.
    bawareca likes this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Sir flink
    Liked
    553 times

BMW coolant is a solvent for BMW plastic. Toss it all out and redo it properly. Plus race cars don't use coolant anyway...

A Norcal guy had a DCT e46 race car a few years ago. They could never stop it from overheating so it eventually got replaced with a 5-speed manual box.
    ucfbrett likes this.

Liked
    1558 times

E46 had SMG not DCT. SMG is like Ferrari F1. DCT is a totally different animal but still all those autoboxes need extreme cooling or they fail.

Liked
    671 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    E46 had SMG not DCT. SMG is like Ferrari F1. DCT is a totally different animal but still all those autoboxes need extreme cooling or they fail.
    The DCT has a proper cooling circuit. Just replace the stock oil to coolant heat exchanger with a proper radiator and all should be goo to go. In any case it will not generate much heat because there is not much of a heat sources inside. I'd say a bit more than manual box because of the high pressure pump.
    Olitho likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2