+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By ucfbrett
  • 1 Post By bawareca
  • 1 Post By bawareca
  • 1 Post By bawareca
  • 1 Post By Force McCocken

Thread: BMW 6-speed transmission oil

  1. #1
    Administrator ucfbrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ventura, Calif.
    Posts
    5,422
    Liked
    2230 times

    Default BMW 6-speed transmission oil

    What is the sweet transmission oil for BMW six speeds? When I bought my ZHP, I took it in and had all the fluids changed at a shop that specializes in German cars. They used something called BG lubricants, which I had heard of, but had no experience with.

    I guess it works OK in the six speed, but I can't help but think there's something better. Anyone have an insight?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    38
    Liked
    29 times

    Default

    In my Vette C4 with ZF MN6 trans

    OEM GM oil 5W-30 part no. 1052931 maybe discontinued but superseded by

    BMW Engine oil MTWIN Power Turbo SAE 10W-60 part no. 83212365944

  3. #3
    RaceTape Ninja Force McCocken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Roswell, GA
    Posts
    1,428
    Liked
    732 times

    Default

    Does it really matter on a DD? I usually use off the shelf stuff. I do have to service my wagon soon, so I was going to check the manual and go from there. The BMW transmissions are pretty stout, so unless you are doing something harsh, I don't understand the need for super-secret tranny sauce.
    Yer pal,
    Force

  4. #4
    Administrator ucfbrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ventura, Calif.
    Posts
    5,422
    Liked
    2230 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    Does it really matter on a DD? I usually use off the shelf stuff. I do have to service my wagon soon, so I was going to check the manual and go from there. The BMW transmissions are pretty stout, so unless you are doing something harsh, I don't understand the need for super-secret tranny sauce.
    It is a daily driver, but I was curious if there was an oil that really works well in BMW transmissions. Miatas, for example, like Redline MT90, and you can feel the difference in how it shifts. I was looking for the Teutonic parallel to MT90.

  5. #5
    BMW Master bawareca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    1,697
    Liked
    633 times

    Default

    BMW calls for ATF-II on all manual transmissions since mid 90s. The six speed is five speed with extension at the rear. In my track car I use 50:50 mix Redline ATF and MT90. It has been working flawlessly until i had to start shifting around 8000 RPM
    Force McCocken likes this.

  6. #6
    Administrator ucfbrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ventura, Calif.
    Posts
    5,422
    Liked
    2230 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bawareca View Post
    BMW calls for ATF-II on all manual transmissions since mid 90s. The six speed is five speed with extension at the rear. In my track car I use 50:50 mix Redline ATF and MT90. It has been working flawlessly until i had to start shifting around 8000 RPM
    You were the guy I wanted to hear from on this question. Thank you.

  7. #7
    RaceTape Ninja Force McCocken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Roswell, GA
    Posts
    1,428
    Liked
    732 times

    Default

    Brett, is your ZHP using oil between changes? If so how much?
    Yer pal,
    Force

  8. #8
    Administrator ucfbrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ventura, Calif.
    Posts
    5,422
    Liked
    2230 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    Brett, is your ZHP using oil between changes? If so how much?
    It does. I had the oil changed last July. I've added two quarts since then. It's probably past due for a change, which brings up a new question: What's a good oil for these BMW six cylinders?

  9. #9
    Senior Member KJSCV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Valencia
    Posts
    121
    Liked
    73 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bawareca View Post
    BMW calls for ATF-II on all manual transmissions since mid 90s. The six speed is five speed with extension at the rear. In my track car I use 50:50 mix Redline ATF and MT90. It has been working flawlessly until i had to start shifting around 8000 RPM
    yep..

    In mine I used straight Motul ATF helped with a balky 2nd gear sychro

  10. #10
    Administrator ucfbrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ventura, Calif.
    Posts
    5,422
    Liked
    2230 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KJSCV View Post
    yep..

    In mine I used straight Motul ATF helped with a balky 2nd gear sychro
    That's the hitch in mine, too. It doesn't like a quick 1-2 shift.

  11. #11
    RaceTape Ninja Force McCocken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Roswell, GA
    Posts
    1,428
    Liked
    732 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    It does. I had the oil changed last July. I've added two quarts since then. It's probably past due for a change, which brings up a new question: What's a good oil for these BMW six cylinders?
    Approximately how many miles per quart on that usage?

    5w30 Castrol on mine, or Mobil.
    Yer pal,
    Force

  12. #12
    Administrator ucfbrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ventura, Calif.
    Posts
    5,422
    Liked
    2230 times

    Default

    3,500 or so.

  13. #13
    BMW Master bawareca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    1,697
    Liked
    633 times

    Default

    5W30 is fine for these engines. I have been a Castrol fanatic, but I have switched to Mobil1 for the regular cars, use Castrol for the diesel only.
    This engine can loose up to 1 quart in a 1000 mile without any signs of smoke or leaks. Another Munich mistery

  14. #14
    Administrator ucfbrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ventura, Calif.
    Posts
    5,422
    Liked
    2230 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bawareca View Post
    5W30 is fine for these engines. I have been a Castrol fanatic, but I have switched to Mobil1 for the regular cars, use Castrol for the diesel only.
    This engine can loose up to 1 quart in a 1000 mile without any signs of smoke or leaks. Another Munich mistery
    It is a mystery. The tailpipes are chalky white and it doesn't leak. Where is the oil going?

  15. #15
    RaceTape Ninja Force McCocken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Roswell, GA
    Posts
    1,428
    Liked
    732 times

    Default

    If no leaks, usually the CC breather system.
    Yer pal,
    Force

  16. #16
    BMW Master bawareca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    1,697
    Liked
    633 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    If no leaks, usually the CC breather system.
    If it goes thru the CC ventilation it will still be burned thru the engine. As Brett said the tailpipes are always clean and smoke is never observed. Go figure.
    Force McCocken likes this.

  17. #17
    RaceTape Ninja Force McCocken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Roswell, GA
    Posts
    1,428
    Liked
    732 times

    Default

    The wife.'a wagon uses about 1:2000 miles. I see no leaks or smoke. The CCV is my suspicion. I have to overhaul the cooling system soon, I have just begun to read about CCV modifications to help.
    Yer pal,
    Force

  18. #18
    BMW Master bawareca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    1,697
    Liked
    633 times

    Default

    CCV is mostly a problem in cooler and humid climates. The moisture condensation in the CCV system cannot fully evaporate on short trips and it connects with oil vapors and blocks the system over time. The newer models have electric heating in the CCV pipes.
    Anyhow, overhauling the CCV system is not overly complicated or expensive and is a good idea after 120k or so miles.
    Force McCocken likes this.

  19. #19
    RaceTape Ninja Force McCocken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Roswell, GA
    Posts
    1,428
    Liked
    732 times

    Default

    My wagon ticks most of those boxes. It is humid and the car just cracked 100k over the weekend. That's about 8k/year.
    bawareca likes this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

  20. #20
    Senior Member KJSCV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Valencia
    Posts
    121
    Liked
    73 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    That's the hitch in mine, too. It doesn't like a quick 1-2 shift.
    seems to be a common BMW theme...lol my 2002tii had a hitch in it's second gear, my 4 speed 733i too

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts