+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: BMW 325i E30 track/race car build HX40

Liked
    670 times

Default BMW 325i E30 track/race car build HX40

Time to get the BMW subforum rolling
    That build thread is posted on other forums as well, I would like give back some of the great knowledge learned from TRACKHQ members.

After fooling around for a few years with my first and only e30,finally decided to convert it for a full track,possibly race, duty.I have been doing a lot of engine rebuilds and turbo conversions for the last 10-12 years,but have not much experience with a full blown race cars.
    And please keep in mind that is a very budget limited project,every aspect was thought of many times,but as we all know the project price almost doubles at the end of the day.All work except the machine work on the block and head was done by me and my son.

It all started 3 years ago with a "fresh" 88 SETA engine and good E36 M3 supsension.

Very happy with the clutch-feels almost like stock once u get used to it and holds plenty of power with ease.

There it goes........

On bimmerefst 2010

After a few turbo iterations and with Holset HX35 it looked like that:

After first few track days the bug bit big time and the upgrades started to fill all my free time and any available budget(it is more than that,everybody knows). I got some GC coilovers ,swaybars,255/40/17 r compound all around and some weird home made aero.

Of course when the things started to get serious i decided that i have to build or bust,so this summer everything went out.

Meantime the original block was bored to 85 mm,S52 crank slapped in,some headwork done and 288 Schrick slapped in.
    Ready to go in,but that is just a teaser:stickoutt

Liked
    670 times

After doing some research I decided to build the cage myself.I think it is not bad for a first attempt,being far from perfect.1.75"x0.095" DOM and extra bars compensate for not excellent MIG welds and my base fabricating skills.The notches are excellent though.
    Thanks to IFLYTII for his cage build thread,it was like a bible to me.I almost fully copied his design,except the Porsche GT3Cup style door bars.

the S38B38 on the background is not going in that car LOL

Liked
    2280 times

There's the project we were talking about. Looks like a stout cage.

Liked
    1433 times

Very nice!

Liked
    670 times

Thanks Brett and Rob,I hope the cage is decent enough for the planned 5-6 lbs/whp
    Last edited by bawareca; 02-05-2012 at 12:58 PM.

Liked
    670 times

I skinned the roof panel and welded a few metal brackets on the bottom,then sealed it with a polyurethane windshield sealer.Looks and feels tight enough,and the roof is not like a drum now:alright

Getting a bit closer,I hope.

Liked
    111 times

Looking good! What suspension are you running? With the new mods power will probably go to 450whp, should be quite an insane ride!
    Less powah is better

Liked
    670 times

Quote Originally Posted by Nurburgring View Post
    Looking good! What suspension are you running? With the new mods power will probably go to 450whp, should be quite an insane ride!
    Thanks!It is E36 M3 ground control coilover suspension with Koni single adjustables.Rotors are 315 mm,i have a set of PFC direct drive ready.Should do the job quite well with a good 3" ducting.
    The new engine is bored up to 3.1 l and is suppose to have a few maps,91 pump gas,no methanol all the way to 112 race gas and 100% methanol.Power should vary from ~270 whp @5 psi to ~500whp@15 psi.And that is not going crazy,there are some swedish guys running 950 bhp with a similar setup.

Liked
    670 times

Time for some engine specs and pics.
    My idea was to build not stressed engine with a good potential.9.5:1 compression ratio combined with relatively big twin scroll turbo should give me spool before 3k rpm and excellent flow uptop.Also the power delivery will be smooth and a nice fat,flat curve.With the close ratio tranny i shouldnt go under 3 k rpm at 3rd gear,even at BW.I wish i can eat $2.5k for a head upgrade to make it reliable 8 k rpm monster.

3.1 L
    O-ringed M20B25 block(original from the car)
    S52 crank(M3 E36)
    135 mm S52 rods
    Ross racing pistons - 9.5:1 CR,85 mm bore
    oil squirters
    S52 lightweight flywheel and stage 3 clutch
    97 M3 tranny and driveshaft
    windage tray
    oil pan baffle(home made)
    mild polished and ported head
    +1 mm IE SS valves
    288 Schrick cam( i wish i have bought PPF Z45,next time around maybe)
    adjustable cam gear(currently maximum advanced )
    custom short runner intake
    CX racing turbo adapter-around 20 hours I have spent to make it nice,clean,smooth and twin scroll
    Holset HX40W-8 blade ,twin scroll
    MS3-coil on plug,sequential injection,boost control,WB O2 control,other in the future
    Aquamist HFS-3
    Precision 46 mm WG
    3" downpipe with one straight thru muffler,side exhaust,straight pipe in the future

Liked
    70 times

Wow. This is a properly built racecar.
    -Kevin M.

2010 Subaru WRX

Liked
    670 times

Quote Originally Posted by DutchOven View Post
    Wow. This is a properly built racecar.
    Thanks you!It is not exactly ready for W2W,but it can be prepared relatively easy,without starting everything all over again.

Liked
    670 times

Finally,it runs,,,,,again.The ROSS pistons and the Schrick 288 cam are noisyyyyyyy.
    Ditched the idea of moving the radiator in the trunk.Just cut the OEM core support completely and will fabricate lightweight tube support.

Liked
    670 times

Doing some progress every day,but sometimes so much time is wasted because of unexpected issues.I spent close to 10 hours and 3 iterations of the passenger seat mount and somehow made some head room for the co-driver
    Did some radiator ducting today,hopefully the system will be now effective on a low speed stuff.
    I am almost out of patience,but have to make the car ready for the planned shakedown at the end of the month.

Sir flink
    Liked
    553 times

Quote Originally Posted by bawareca View Post
    There's 6.5 lbs per side in those bars. Low-hanging fruit!

Liked
    1478 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    Very nice!
    After all the drama, Mr. Sexy is bending over in the shower for this thread by bawareca.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    670 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    After all the drama, Mr. Sexy is bending over in the shower for this thread by bawareca.
    Sheriff,you should ban yourself for trying to induce oversteer

Liked
    670 times

Quote Originally Posted by flink View Post
    There's 6.5 lbs per side in those bars. Low-hanging fruit!
    Thanks for the advice.I was guessing that most of the current weight of the doors is in the bars.Some say that they will work together with the cage in case of a side impact.I didnt go to extremes in lightening the car because it is good to know there is still some room for improvement in the future.Also,if my lap times suck i can blame the additional weight instead the lack of tallent and experience
    ucfbrett likes this.

Liked
    670 times

Some "high quality" Ireland engineering sway bar

Gopro remote-beta version i am working on.Expect the end of the staring at the camera anytime soon.Also external mic version coming soon.

Ready for the tomorrow shakedown at ACS.Turn 2,here I come

Last edited by bawareca; 02-25-2012 at 11:19 PM.
    ucfbrett likes this.

Liked
    670 times

Turn 2 didnt get me,but the front straight didOf all the things i forgot to set the overboost protection
    22 psi boost spike took out the head gasket,complete redesign of the turbo manifold is due.
    Otherwise the car is a beast and feels great with the cage.Short clip shows 4-5 run 75-125 mph with super conservative timing,9-12 degree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmq0tfHbm1w]ACS 02 26 - YouTube
    Last edited by bawareca; 03-03-2012 at 08:10 AM.

Liked
    670 times

Public knowledge figured out that the reason for the boost creep is a bad turbo manifold design,and also very efficient turbine and exhaust.I was suspecting there will be some boost creep,but not that bad.
    The headgasket was pushed not because of detonation,but because the machine shop grinded out a small piece of the O-ring on the cylinder 6,and that is where it gave
    At least I built it well,the head was out in 50 minutes,with provisions for 30.

Version 1.2 - boost control enabled:alright:

Last edited by bawareca; 03-03-2012 at 05:06 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast