+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Test Drove 2015 STI

Liked
    1477 times

Default Test Drove 2015 STI

I went to Subaru Pacific in Torrance this afternoon, and got a test drive in the brand-new 2015 STI Limited model. Traditional blue color, nice leather interior. 305 hp turbocharged 2.5 liter boxer four, six-speed manual, awd, 4-door sedan with big trunk (not hatchback), boy-racer rear wing, BBS wheels, curb weight 3,386 lbs. (which ain't that much compared to most modern cars). Better handling and performance than prior generation. I was very impressed. If I was going to buy a new daily driver, I am almost certain this is the car I'd get. Nicely equipped for $40,000- sticker, and I got the impression they would sell it for less. It is a very refreshing car in this modern world of green, hybrid, electric, heavy, complicated, laden with useless luxury doo-dads, over-priced BS cars.
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 05-03-2014 at 04:22 PM.
    bawareca and Loose Caboose like this.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    1486 times

You have too many cars that do the same thing the same way. You need to knock it out of the park and step up to something with 500+HP that drinks gas when the loud pedal is down and sounds like it too. Maybe a Corvette, Ferrari, or Aston Martin. "Green" is so yesterday's Manhattan Beach Prius.
    500+ Horsepower and endless Torque are forever.
    bellwilliam, bawareca and JJ1 like this.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    You have too many cars that do the same thing the same way. You need to knock it out of the park and step up to something with 500+HP that drinks gas when the loud pedal is down and sounds like it too. Maybe a Corvette, Ferrari, or Aston Martin. "Green" is so yesterday's Manhattan Beach Prius.
    500+ Horsepower and endless Torque are forever.
    I don't think an Evo IX (awd turbocharged 4), S2000 (rwd high-revving 4 roadster), and NSX (mid-engined V6 all-aluminum sex machine), ex-fatbillybob Suburban, and '92 Lexus LS 400 (yes, I actually own one of those cars that won't go away because they last forever) "do the same thing the same way." Could I afford a Ferrari or Aston Martin if I really wanted to? It would be a big stretch, but I could do it. But the idea of paying $150,000 to $250,000 for a car does not appeal to me. I'm on the fence about the Corvette, mostly because I can't get past the Roccoco styling of the C7, as much as it appears to be in incredible performance car. If I was going to buy an expensive new sports car, it would almost certainly be the soon to be released Cayman GTS, but again, $90,000 is a lot of money for a car.

On the other hand, the new STI can be had for less than $40,000, and I can carry my kids in it. I went to autotrader to see what '06 Evo IX MR are asking for their cars, and the prices are twice what I was expecting. I had planned to keep the Evo forever, but now might be the time to sell it and get the 2015 STI.
    Loose Caboose likes this.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

Richard,

I only have one question regarding the 2015 STi.

Could you feel it with your fingers? What did it feel like?
    Loose Caboose likes this.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
    Richard,

I only have one question regarding the 2015 STi.

Could you feel it with your fingers? What did it feel like?
    It felt a little more powerful (yay!) and more luxurious (boo!) than my '06 Evo. I suppose feeling the front tires through the steering wheel is a bit more than than you can ask for in a new car nowadays. Nice car. Would definitely buy one.

Liked
    31 times

Too bad it still uses the piece of dung EJ25 though.

From a handling and steering perspective, I read they really tightened things up so it's a lot more Evo-esque which is nice.
    01 Miata LS - VF Supercharged/6MT with 4.3 Torsen/15x9 6UL/XIDA-S/Sways/Bushings/GTC200 - Buttonwillow 13CW - 2:04.56
    09 WRX - 518whp on Rotated GTX3076R/17x9 DPT/RCE Tarmac 2/Sways/Bushings

Liked
    2283 times

I actually agree to what fatbilly said. You already have an 06 MR (I just bought one), STI is "same" type of car. Try a v8 .. I say c6 z06. Stupid power and about same price as the STI
    BEbengali likes this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    855 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    I actually agree to what fatbilly said. You already have an 06 MR (I just bought one), STI is "same" type of car. Try a v8 .. I say c6 z06. Stupid power and about same price as the STI
    Given that you and Richard both have an an Evo, an NSX, and an S2K - and since he hates eco cars - a 997 might fill the bill.

Regardless, a question for Richard:

How fully were you able to really test the limits of the STI?
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 05-04-2014 at 10:38 PM.

Liked
    2283 times

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Caboose View Post
    Given that you and Richard both have an an Evo, an NSX, and an S2K -?
    Haha. Someone finally caught on. I wanna be just like Richard !!
    Olitho, JJ1 and Loose Caboose like this.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    111 times

Quote Originally Posted by chongl View Post
    Too bad it still uses the piece of dung EJ25 though.
    Are these still blowing ringlands and pistons like there is no tomorrow, or has the factory done anything to address those issues in the last couple of years?
    Less powah is better

Liked
    31 times

Nothing has been done...I was hoping the new generation would launch with the 2.5 liter DI motor, but I guess it wasn't ready.
    01 Miata LS - VF Supercharged/6MT with 4.3 Torsen/15x9 6UL/XIDA-S/Sways/Bushings/GTC200 - Buttonwillow 13CW - 2:04.56

Liked
    977 times

Nothing has been done...I was hoping the new generation would launch with the 2.5 liter DI motor, but I guess it wasn't ready.
    Does the WRX (non-sti) use that engine?

Liked
    31 times

WRX has the FA20DIT

Liked
    2283 times

WRX has the FA20DIT
    how about translate that in plain English pls.
    is FA20DIT reliable or is it a "Hakeem" ?
    ucfbrett likes this.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    31 times

The Hakeem factor is yet to be determined, but I'm happy they moved on from the old engine. However, it's in the same family as the FR-S/BRZ so maybe they will blow up when RPMs stay above 5200 between shifts?

Direct Injector (DI) / Seal Issue - Toyota GT 86 Forums UK - Page 1

JJ1
    Liked
    177 times

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Caboose View Post
    Given that you and Richard both have an an Evo, an NSX, and an S2K - and since he hates eco cars - a 997 might fill the bill.

Regardless, a question for Richard:

How fully were you able to really test the limits of the STI?
    This. If you haven't driven a 997, I'd consider that. Really enjoyable drivers and a pretty good bargain right now. Get a 997.2 c2s if you can swing ~$55ish on a used car. Drive that back to back with a STI.

Liked
    1477 times

The guys on the Evo boards, and the members here, have talked me out of getting a 2015 STI because of the old, combustible 2.5 liter boxer turbo that is still in the car.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1885 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    how about translate that in plain English pls.
    is FA20DIT reliable or is it a "Hakeem" ?
    Poor Hakeem.. his name is now used as another way to describe lack of reliability.
    Despite the poor record with the *cars*, the guy seems plenty reliable in person.

4 doors 2 seats
    Liked
    149 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    The guys on the Evo boards, and the members here, have talked me out of getting a 2015 STI because of the old, combustible 2.5 liter boxer turbo that is still in the car.
    I disagree with this. If you are going to leave it stock that motor is perfectly fine I have seen more than one of those motors go past 200k without any problems with minor mods. And seeing as its been in production since the late 90's they have had well over a decade to get the bugs out.

The bigger issue is if you did wait for a direct injection variant, while great in theory they have some bigger issues that are not yet resolved or proven to be worth while in current production form. The biggest being carbon build up on valves. Without detergent rich fuel constantly cleaning intake valves they are extremely prone to carbon build up. Mercedes was one of the first to bring this tech to market and it has been well documented that this is a major problem with their new DI engines. Ironically the only way manufacturers seem to be alleviating this problem at the moment is a secondary injector system like the D4S system toyota uses. This is a second set of injectors in the intake track that work similarly to traditional fuel injection but only run at set loads or during warm up. In my opinion DSI + LOLfornia's fuel is a much bigger recipe for problems than the tried and true EJ25 the car currently possesses. If it were worth while subaru would have certainly included that tech in an engine in their flagship car. To me that technology is not ready for prime time yet.

Liked
    19 times

2015 STI increases about 20whp now rated at 250whp.EJ is a good engine in terms of performance but reliability has been an issue for a while. Now 2018 is equipped 6 piston brembo brake in front( is it necessary?).
    Good news is new short block is relatively inexpensive if it's out of warranty:1700usd only; bad news is it seems to be able to run 40-50 track days..but not sure what will happen next.

Curb weight is 3300lbs if spare tire and tools are removed. 3300lbs is almost 200lbs lighter than a modern Germany 4 door.

I hope subaru could give a new engine for STI like 350hp.
    Last edited by jqsti2015; 03-18-2017 at 08:40 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast