+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 36 of 36
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Engine Temperatures

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    98
    Liked
    51 times

    Default

    FoxSTI - I have no doubts about your set-up and your competence to test validate the effectiveness. I am NOT saying that all Mishimoto coolers are bad or don't work. I only make the observation that it is more difficult to predict or plan for capacity when you do not have specifications. In your case, you have solid data and sounds like a good set-up. I'm not a fan of the company (obviously) because of their practices and lack of any logic in a domain they pretend to play in.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    South FLA
    Posts
    115
    Liked
    5 times

    Default

    When I was at the track someone mentioned that they run water and water wetter ?
    and those cars actually race and see temps between 230-240F. But the did mention the water only.

    I see your photo. May not be related, but what are you making with the plywood?

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    South FLA
    Posts
    115
    Liked
    5 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CoolTech View Post
    FoxSTI - I have no doubts about your set-up and your competence to test validate the effectiveness. I am NOT saying that all Mishimoto coolers are bad or don't work. I only make the observation that it is more difficult to predict or plan for capacity when you do not have specifications. In your case, you have solid data and sounds like a good set-up. I'm not a fan of the company (obviously) because of their practices and lack of any logic in a domain they pretend to play in.
    No worries. I just think I am lucky my setup is working as your sentiments are quite common among many. But its okay, let me enjoy my mishimoto while it lasts lol

  4. #24
    Senior Member bellwilliam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    La Verne, California, United States
    Posts
    7,644
    Liked
    2282 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FoxSTI View Post
    When I was at the track someone mentioned that they run water and water wetter ?
    and those cars actually race and see temps between 230-240F. But the did mention the water only.

    I see your photo. May not be related, but what are you making with the plywood?
    yes, distilled water and water wetter is a pretty standard setup for most hard core track cars. 230-240F is definitely not the norm.
    that's Emilio's car (one of them), plywood is a splitter.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    South FLA
    Posts
    115
    Liked
    5 times

    Default Stupid question..

    Won't running water corrode my radiator, water pump and engine? - even it is distilled?

  6. #26
    Kam
    Kam is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    335
    Liked
    87 times

    Default

    From a track day in May. Ambient temp 87', humidity 16%.
    Engine: K24A2, turboed, 510whp.
    Water temp sensors: OEM at Engine head, PLX at IM at front of head.
    Oil temp: oil pan
    Oil Press: sandwich adapter
    Oil Cooler: 2. One in the nose, one in a side pod.
    Oil: 5w20, mobil1, 8qts.
    Coolant: water and water wetter, still using OEM thermostat.

    Highest Oil Temp: 215'
    Highest Water Temp: 190'
    Highest IAT Temp: 160' :/

    I do oil analysis at every oil change. Report always comes back solid.


    When I had a S2000:
    Engine: F22C, 210whp
    Water temp sensors: OEM at Engine head
    Oil temp: sandwich adapter
    Oil Press: sandwich adapter
    Oil Cooler: 1. in the nose.
    Oil: 0w20, mobil1, 5.5qts.
    Coolant: water and water wetter, still using OEM thermostat, mishimotor radiator.

    Highest Oil Temp: 260'
    Highest Water Temp: 230'
    4.6lbs / whp -- 4lbs / bhp

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    134
    Liked
    18 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kam View Post
    From a track day in May. Ambient temp 87', humidity 16%.
    Engine: K24A2, turboed, 510whp.
    Water temp sensors: OEM at Engine head, PLX at IM at front of head.
    Oil temp: oil pan
    Oil Press: sandwich adapter
    Oil Cooler: 2. One in the nose, one in a side pod.
    Oil: 5w20, mobil1, 8qts.
    Coolant: water and water wetter, still using OEM thermostat.

    Highest Oil Temp: 215'
    Highest Water Temp: 190'
    Highest IAT Temp: 160' :/

    I do oil analysis at every oil change. Report always comes back solid.


    When I had a S2000:
    Engine: F22C, 210whp
    Water temp sensors: OEM at Engine head
    Oil temp: sandwich adapter
    Oil Press: sandwich adapter
    Oil Cooler: 1. in the nose.
    Oil: 0w20, mobil1, 5.5qts.
    Coolant: water and water wetter, still using OEM thermostat, mishimotor radiator.

    Highest Oil Temp: 260'
    Highest Water Temp: 230'
    It seems like the independent oil coolers are doing their job well.
    VA(15) STI/FRS

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    98
    Liked
    51 times

    Default

    Kam - what's the K24A2 installed in? I'm encouraged because that's the exact engine we are using in the Exocet. (With any luck, first fire-up is this weekend.) Setrab oil cooler installed and plumbed.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    South FLA
    Posts
    115
    Liked
    5 times

    Default

    That's great for your K motor, but consider that you are in a much less humid (less hot) enviroment.
    I maybe have to try the water wetter. I wonder if I can add it to my premixed coolant.

  10. #30
    Kam
    Kam is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    335
    Liked
    87 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FoxSTI View Post
    That's great for your K motor, but consider that you are in a much less humid (less hot) enviroment.
    Is Vegas less hot than where you are, because, the AVERAGE temp for June has been 90', with the max temp being 117' ... not the hottest, but certainly terrible weather.
    Mind you, the oil temps I see are only slightly higher in 110' weather (10-15 degrees).

    Quote Originally Posted by CoolTech View Post
    Kam - what's the K24A2 installed in? I'm encouraged because that's the exact engine we are using in the Exocet. (With any luck, first fire-up is this weekend.) Setrab oil cooler installed and plumbed.
    It's in a Noble (think, Exige like -- mid engine, no airflow into the engine bay, etc). I'm sure a lot of the oil temps being so low is due to the mile like (ok, around 25ft) lengths of oil line I have in the car, as well as the ton of oil.
    4.6lbs / whp -- 4lbs / bhp

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    South FLA
    Posts
    115
    Liked
    5 times

    Default

    117 deg? yikes!
    I guess I need to try the water and water wetter next time.

  12. #32
    Senior Member JulioG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    111
    Liked
    51 times

    Default

    Bone stock (down to fluids) '14 Ford Fiesta ST at Buttonwillow


  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    South FLA
    Posts
    115
    Liked
    5 times

    Default

    Pretty hot at times uh?
    What logger is that from?

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    573
    Liked
    51 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JulioG View Post
    Bone stock (down to fluids) '14 Ford Fiesta ST at Buttonwillow

    Ouch!

    On my '15 Fiesta ST, switched to a Mishimoto radiator and custom oil cooler setup and have run 2 track days so far (Streets - 80 degrees outside temp, Autoclub - 80 degrees outside temp) and highest coolant temp was 207 and highest oil temp was 230. Running stage 2 Cobb tune with aftermarket intercooler and piping as well.

  15. #35
    Senior Member bellwilliam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    La Verne, California, United States
    Posts
    7,644
    Liked
    2282 times

    Default

    250f coolant temp !!
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

  16. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    South FLA
    Posts
    115
    Liked
    5 times

    Default

    quick update from last track day.
    Coolant 221F max for a split second here and there!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts