+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By hakeem
  • 1 Post By Gian

Thread: Just saw an amazing 1972 BRG Elan

Liked
    1477 times

Default Just saw an amazing 1972 BRG Elan

I was having breakfast at my favorite greasy spoon in Redondo Beach yesterday morning. As I walked in, parked right in front of the place was perhaps the most beautiful early Lotus Elan roadster I have ever seen in British Racing Green. I got a chance to talk to the owner, who bought it on the East Coast years ago and spent big money and time restoring it. Everyone from the restaurnat came out to see it. He showed it off, started the big valve engine and took off. If ever there was a spiritual successor to Colin Chapman's original Lotus Elan, it's the Honda S2000.

This is a rather poor pic of a 60s Elan but the best I could do on short notice. The car I saw this week was way better. It weighs 1500 lbs. and has reasonable hp for its weight. One of the greatest cars of all time.

Last edited by Richard EVO; 08-08-2012 at 09:43 PM.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    188 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    If ever there was a spiritual successor to Colin Chapman's original Lotus Elan, it's the...
    Mazda MX-5

elan_mx511%5B1%5D.jpg

Check out these photos of the Elan and MX-5 side-by-side.

The original Elan is commonly credited as being the design inspiration for the highly successful 1989 Mazda MX-5 (Mazda Miata in North America). Two Elans were intimately evaluated by Mazda in the process of designing the MX-5.
    Source: Wikipedia Lotus Elan

I agree that the Elan is a great looking car.

Liked
    1477 times

Pooohh!!! S2000 > Miata. 60s Lotus Elan in a whole different world now. Try to buy a nice one today.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    188 times

Like this one?

http://bringatrailer.com/2012/08/04/...69-lotus-elan/

Go get it Richard. That one has your name on it. Only $33K.

You're making this too easy.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by SeanB View Post
    Like this one?

http://bringatrailer.com/2012/08/04/...69-lotus-elan/

Go get it Richard. That one has your name on it. Only $33K.
    Yellow being my favorite sports car color, nice car.

Having bought an NSX, Formula Mazda, tow vehicle and new custom trailer in the last 15 months, can't afford it. Nice car though.

Liked
    672 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    If ever there was a spiritual successor to Colin Chapman's original Lotus Elan, it's the Honda S2000.
    Maybe if an S2k weighed 500 pounds less. Miatas are much more of a "spiritual successor" to the Elan than an S2K.

I realize your Miata left a bad taste in your mouth but it wasn't the car's fault. You should try a better sorted Miata sometime, maybe you'll like them a little more. I'm not saying that Miatas > S2K, but remember S2Ks cost about 50% more than a Miata when new.
    Last edited by Red_5; 08-09-2012 at 08:01 AM.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    1477 times

Miatas are great handling little underpowered cars. S2000s are way more fun to drive IMHO. Enough power that you can actually get yourself in trouble, which is not true of the Miata. Balancing the 7000+ rpm power, natural twitchiness of the rear, and the car's ability to turn under throttle even better than a Miata is just a blast. Just throw it into the turn, get on the gas, and hold on (and Aaron Bitterman adds to that "and be ready for anything").

Liked
    1477 times

P.S. The Miata is more the spiritual successor of the MGB.

Liked
    977 times

Negative. A dumpster is a more appropriate successor to the MGB.

Liked
    1477 times

^^^ I drove an MGB-GT once. That little sucker was pretty fast. Then you step on the brakes. Nothing. It was a pretty scary ride.

Liked
    456 times

I seem to remember that Mazda did model the Miata after the Elan. There was a guy in SD, think his name was Chris, that had a solo 2 Elan he ran in D Mod class. The guy had big bucks and you could tell, just opening the hood. It had a dog toothed 6sp and a 5:90 rear gear. When it took off it sounded like a F1 car going through the gears. Gawd that thing was beautiful!!
    Richard EVO likes this.
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Liked
    1477 times

If anyone is wondering what a "BRB" Elan is in the title of this thread, it's a typo. I meant "BRG" (for British Racing Green). Damn I love that car.

Liked
    7 times

Quote Originally Posted by Gian View Post
    I seem to remember that Mazda did model the Miata after the Elan. There was a guy in SD, think his name was Chris, that had a solo 2 Elan he ran in D Mod class. The guy had big bucks and you could tell, just opening the hood. It had a dog toothed 6sp and a 5:90 rear gear. When it took off it sounded like a F1 car going through the gears. Gawd that thing was beautiful!!
    Was it yellow? If so he came to a AX here in town... it had a Formula atlantic 4age engine/ transmission mounted in it and massive underbody venturi tunnels.
    INSANELY fast around a small course. Yes, the gear changes where many and instantaneous.

+ Reply to Thread