+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: NC track car build

Liked
    724 times

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Caboose View Post
    Ah yes, but anyone's accountant can buy a great used car.

How many guys have the vision and skill to create one?
    I only made the comment because it looks like such a good, thorough build and Eflove mentioned wanting GT3 performance. Usually when you benchmark another cars performance with a build of a "lesser" car it's because you don't have the coin to buy said car. That doesn't seem to be the case here. I'm sure the consumables and maintenance will be lower on the Mazda than a GT3.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    52 times

Red5 I didn't take any offense by your comments . I work on quite a few Ferrari challenge cars, Porsche cup cars, and street cars for my job. I know well how much consumables are for these cars and it doesn't interest me. I also have worked for a GrandAm team the last few years and seen how good the NC can be. With poles and wins at my home track COTA it was clear the NC was fast in every aspect but power. Add 2x the power, 250lbs less weight, free take off tires and I was sold. It doesn't hurt if my clients want to know who built that miata that just passed their factory race car. Makes track time almost a business expense ha! I'll leave you with some incar from Sebring. Now I'm no McAleer but having a good car under me can't hurt.
    Red_5 and ucfbrett like this.

Liked
    977 times

How do you plan on controlling the RX8 ABS? I remember looking at it once and it was all CAN based and seemed like a huge pita to operate without keeping the stock ecu in there.

Liked
    52 times

That is one of the reasons to go with the RX-8 abs pump. You don't need the ECU to control it. Feed it wheel speeds, brake sw, power,gnd and it works on its own. Now this only works with a certain year range RX-8s. I will be using the dash to communicate with it via CAN.

Liked
    724 times

Quote Originally Posted by eflove View Post
    Red5 I didn't take any offense by your comments . I work on quite a few Ferrari challenge cars, Porsche cup cars, and street cars for my job. I know well how much consumables are for these cars and it doesn't interest me. I also have worked for a GrandAm team the last few years and seen how good the NC can be. With poles and wins at my home track COTA it was clear the NC was fast in every aspect but power. Add 2x the power, 250lbs less weight, free take off tires and I was sold. It doesn't hurt if my clients want to know who built that miata that just passed their factory race car. Makes track time almost a business expense ha! I'll leave you with some incar from Sebring. Now I'm no McAleer but having a good car under me can't hurt.
    Now that makes a lot more sense. I didn't realize from your original post that you were actually doing the work, 'cuz that's some serious work.

I've been thinking about a lesser version of your build for the last year or so. Something street legal but fun and safe on the track. For me, just a N/A 2.5 would be plenty of power to get me in trouble. But, I'd have to sell my race car and I haven't gotten there yet.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    977 times

That is one of the reasons to go with the RX-8 abs pump. You don't need the ECU to control it. Feed it wheel speeds, brake sw, power,gnd and it works on its own. Now this only works with a certain year range RX-8s. I will be using the dash to communicate with it via CAN.
    Would be very interested in learning more about this, as the RX8 abs is awesome. Which years? What do you use the CAN communication for? Assume warnings and other diagnostics?

Liked
    52 times

Red5- Yep I have done 95% of the work myself. I like your idea of a "super NC" from experience I don't think you need to go 2.5 unless you want more than 230hp@ the flywheel but you wont be doing that on stock cams. The new kraftworks SC kit looks like it would be a ton of fun and still a streetable car.
    Hakeem- I'm not 100% on the years of the correct RX-8 abs pump but I do know I consistently get the correct one from a 04 NONdsc car. I'm not sure the swap is better than the mx5 pump (non dsc) unless you are building a car without stock electronics. Also don't forget all the brake bias is done in the pump so if it has a issue (mil) the car is almost uncontrollable on the brakes. I'm using CAN from the abs pump to send wheel speeds to the dash then to the ECU. This lets me log and see individual speeds on the dash if I have a issue but not codes. The system is so simple if you have a issue it's a broken sensor wire and you don't need the MIL codes. The ECU needs to see wheel speeds so the traction control will work.

Liked
    52 times

Liked
    977 times

Thanks for the info. I have an FD with no stock electronics, an M800 and SDL3 in their place and a tilton floor mount pedal setup. Have been playing with the idea of installing some kind of abs but did not know the RX8 system would work. Everyone said they need some sort of CAN instruction that was difficult without the stock ecu.

Bonus with the wheel speeds as we can get traction control that way too. Thanks again for the info!

Liked
    2 times

You can also run the MK60 ABS from an E46 M3 2003+ stand alone. Wheel speeds, brake pressures etc are available. Transmits to an AIM logger via CAN as well. Tons of info on that on the web. Been repeatedly proven with Tilton etc. pedal sets. Easy harness to build or there are many pre-made.

OP, *****in' rig. Can't wait to see some running video!

Liked
    52 times

Installed edge trim on the door seals.

Liked
    2305 times

I'll leave you with some incar from Sebring.
    Fantastic footage. Never a dull moment.

Liked
    599 times

What type of hose is that you're using? The black braided stuff with AN fitting ends. I'm not a particular fan of braided SS line, was using aeroquip push-lock hose for oil, but not totally satisfied with that either. Redoing several of my lines right now and would like to find a better hose option..

Nevermind I think I found it, Russell pro classic hose?

-Ryan
    Last edited by thepass; 04-14-2014 at 11:31 PM.
    Ryan Passey
    Singulär Motorsports | Goodwin Racing

#13 1990 Miata
    "The sport dedicating to the spirits of time attacking motoring" -Emilio

Liked
    52 times

Yep and the coolant lines are Areoquip.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2504 times

Had you considered seam welding? I think I would have for a build of this detail and speed potential. Gotta love $$$ GA and WC hand me downs. Jelly.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    52 times

I looked at it but decided against it except for a few spots. The NC chassis has become so stiff that we have not noticed a difference doing this. The only spots it seams to matter are the spots that are blindly obvious spot welds left out for crash safety. They look like . . . _____ . . . <spot welds. I have noticed a much bigger improvement from running the down bars on the cage threw the frame to the sub frame studs. I do love some GA hand me downs but most of them become spares or are not usable on my car bc they are meant for much less power. The shocks are the only thing that has fit my build but i'm most grateful for the take off tires. Even move valuable to me is the knowledge and testing from every race that directly helps my car.

Liked
    111 times

Very nice build, congrats.
    Will the driveline hold 400lbft+ ?
    Less powah is better

Liked
    52 times

I'm not sure. I do know the Sparco/Tripoint turbo time attack NC used the stock shaft and they are easy to get made. The mx-5 6speed and rx8 diff,axles combo is surprisingly stout.

Liked
    52 times

Red_5 and comradefks like this.

Liked
    52 times

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast