+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Goodwin Racing Turbo NC Gets Resurrected

Liked
    532 times

Lots of updates!

The first one is that Rocky swapped in a new Deatschwerks 340lph fuel pump and we test-fired the car yesterday and it's running!
    Now in go bigger 1000cc injectors for the switch over to E85:

DG Motorsports lightweight carbon fiber hardtop is installed:

DG Motorsports carbon fiber doors went on. They're sturdy, bolt to the factory hinges, still use the factory latch mechanism (actuated by a cable), and are only 9 lbs each:

Installing the doors and hardtop is a good sign! It means we've finished up work on the interior. The "office" needed some updates. New Cobra Suzuka seat:

We went with lots of lay-back in the seating position and the seat back is against the rear bulkhead. Leg/foot ergonomics are still great thanks to the pedal box. We'll be adding a steering wheel spacer to move the wheel back towards the driver to account for the new seating position. This picture gives a good visual of all this:

The above picture also shows the other new addition - a window net. Locators were welded in for the rod up top and the net straps on the cage door bar:

More lightweight body panels! This is the DG Motorsports one-piece carbon fiber nose:
    This nose had been used on two cars here back and forth for a while so the attachment points were all worn out. We've reinforced those areas and replaced all the fasteners and it now mounts to the car solidly.

Side-note, bump stops serve as excellent hood pin bumpers, with a nice and wide footprint and juuust that perfect one or two millimeters of compression so you get a little positive pressure on the body panel against the pin so it doesn't rattle:

Sean has been hard at work peeling all the old stickers off the car:

And in that last picture you can see that I've gotten started on the aero for the front of the car. Will have more pictures of that as it is completed in a few days!
    2GRX7 and bawareca like this.
    Ryan Passey
    Singulär Motorsports | Goodwin Racing

#13 1990 Miata
    "The sport dedicating to the spirits of time attacking motoring" -Emilio

Liked
    532 times

double post
    Last edited by thepass; 10-28-2015 at 12:29 AM. Reason: double post
    Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

Liked
    532 times

The 1000cc injectors are in and she's now running on E85 fuel!

We've gone over the car with a fine-toothed comb, lots of little bits replaced or updated.

The aero is coming along nicely. With a relatively short timeframe to work within I have to prioritize, so first up is to get the big primary elements put together. Finer details and elements can come later. This first stage of aero involves a BIG splitter just finished up today. Here it is fiberglassed and painted, off the car. It extends back to the front subframe, uses a combination of a fixed frame plus cables (not in the pic) for support, and the whole assembly is on quick-disconnects so it can be removed from the car in 30 seconds. it only looks short front to rear because it is a monstrous 75" wide!

I've also added an airdam and front tire covers to the nose to work in conjunction with the splitter. Won't have this mounted back on the car until Saturday so we'll have a picture of the front end all together then.

In the rear, that big front aero gets balanced by a big wing. This is a custom Kognition dry carbon wing I had made earlier this year for my car, but since that project is down for a drivetrain swap it's better used here than sitting in my office. This wing is #600, the final wing produced before they closed up shop:

I was able to modify a set of wing mounts I had for my car to fit the NC, and voila:

It's good to see this car together and looking whole! Can't wait to make it all one nice color instead of the mis-matched panels it currently has, but many things to do first.

We hit the dyno tomorrow to get the tune sorted out, and then we have a shake-down at the local autocross on Saturday.
    Last edited by thepass; 10-30-2015 at 12:32 AM.
    Red_5, ucfbrett, bawareca and 1 others like this.
    Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

Liked
    532 times

Got the car on our scales: 2255 lbs. Just a little over 100lbs more than the Yellow "NC Light" came in at, which makes sense as this is a similar build but with the additional nose weight of the turbo system plus more aggressive/larger aero.

SUPER light for an NC, and particularly for one which makes this kind of power (hint: dyno results soon to come!)

bawareca likes this.
    Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

Liked
    532 times

Friday dyno fun

After working through a few hiccups we now have a solid, safe tune with 380hp and 340ft-lbs of torque. That should move the 2250 lbs along quite nicely.

Horsepower:

Torque:

robburgoon, ucfbrett and bawareca like this.
    Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

Liked
    633 times

Pretty good! This would be a very fast car on the track.

Liked
    133 times

huge numbers but that power band is brutal. What turbo is this thing running that it has that huge torque spike and then falloff?

Liked
    532 times

Standard but oldschool GT2871. The primary culprit to the curve is that it's operating solely on the wastegate which is maxed at the 12psi, so it's struggling to hold shut during spool-up.

Motec's electronic boost controller is $1500 so we're working with what we've got for the moment, main focus was to just get the tune solid for whatever the motor/turbo wanted to produce.
    There's a Borg Warner that has the same flange as the GT2871, spools like crazy and good for more power than this... but many things to focus on first..
    The turbo kit came from Bell, so there's several elements of the turbo setup on my list of things I'd like to change.. Even a simple ball/spring manual boost controller would help with spool though, so we'll fiddle with things further soon.

For now, keep it above 5k rpms or suffer the wrath of the 150 hp --> 320 hp drop-kick to the rear tires
    Last edited by thepass; 11-04-2015 at 10:18 AM.
    Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

Liked
    532 times

Last weekend we took the car out for a shakedown at the local autocross and had a great opportunity to learn a lot about the car. Love these local events so we can test/tune conveniently before all the effort involved in going to the track. Keep in mind, this is the first time this car has really ever been taken around a corner fast - it's previous life as a drift car it was never dialed in.

Great example here of something that guys often overlook - that an assembly of parts only gets you so far, tuning and revising is what makes a car fast. SO many elements that were completely un-tuned at this point.

First few times out with both Sean and I driving, our initial impressions were this car is a beast - tons of power, but lots of understeer and NO brakes - which made the power even more... "thrilling"

A few tweaks later we had it rotating better and starting to get some feel in the steering, but nothing much we could adjust track-side to get the brakes working; going into this shakedown we just bled the brakes and ran whatever the drift guys had put on the car so many years ago, plus it is a full manual brake setup with no booster, so lots of variables there.

With suspension adjustments made, we went into the timed runs and I was able to wrestle the car to a Top Time of Day despite being in such an early state of tuning, which tells me we have TONS of potential in this car as we get things dialed in.

Much learned and more things added to the to-do list that hangs in the shop by this car.
    This is all part of the process
    Last edited by thepass; 11-08-2015 at 09:08 PM.
    Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

Liked
    2230 times

I'm really enjoying this thread and build. Keep up the good work.

Liked
    532 times

Thanks Brett!

Brake pads in the car were old and crumbling stuff, those are being swapped out to our high-torque Porterfield R4-1s.

One of our distributors is a great guy who specializes in brakes and has lots of experience building braking systems for Grand Am and World Challenge teams. I pulled all the measurements off our current setup, sent those to him and he did the math on the hydraulic system for us. We decided to change master cylinder sizes to give us more line pressure from less leg force. This should make it easier to drive fast consistently. We're also adding a remote knob so that we can make small adjustments to the bias on-the-fly from the driver's seat:

Brake bias knob installed below the shifter so it's within easy reach (seat position is so far back that you have to extend your shoulder out of the seat to reach the center dash console). Our steering wheel extension also arrived to place the wheel where we need it given the seating position - it was quite a reach to the wheel without it last weekend, so the ergonomics are now sorted out:

Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

Liked
    532 times

Sean was configuring sensors with the AIM dash and wrapped things up with a new start-up greeting:

ucfbrett and bawareca like this.
    Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

Liked
    847 times

Quote Originally Posted by thepass View Post
    . . they still have old vids with the cars, with a super cheesy fast and the furious feel to it all. . .
    Hence the cheddar yellow livery!

Liked
    532 times

With track time coming up fast, still on the list was to give the car some fresh new colors.

We went with a dark gray metallic. I like how the yellow in the interior pops where you can see it against the gray, and it's a little less in-your-face than having the whole car yellow.

We had a sunny day in the mid 80's out at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway for testing. Sean brought out his NA as well:

Lots of great initial impressions from the test day and we're starting to get many elements dialed in now. We ended up blowing the weak NC1 transmission, but not before we made good progress and all of the data and sector times are pointing towards us having a very capable machine in the works here. We'll be putting a stronger NC2 6 speed in shortly.

All of us Miata guys are quite used to catching the bigger cars in the turns, but it's a bit of a foreign feeling to put your foot down coming onto the straight and pull right by Porsches, Corvettes, etc...

SteveLevin and bawareca like this.
    Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

Quote Originally Posted by thepass View Post
    All of us Miata guys are quite used to catching the bigger cars in the turns, but it's a bit of a foreign feeling to put your foot down coming onto the straight and pull right by Porsches, Corvettes, etc...
    That's a foreign feeling for vetts and porsches too.
    robburgoon, ucfbrett and bawareca like this.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Sir flink
    Liked
    552 times

That front aero looks pretty high. Drop it a couple inches and sprinkle bits of 1/8" steel in the places where it scrapes?

I like the idea of matte paint - it makes the shade-tree dent repair less sad-looking (brushes bondo dust out of his hair). How did you apply it?
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    532 times

Quote Originally Posted by flink View Post
    That front aero looks pretty high. Drop it a couple inches and sprinkle bits of 1/8" steel in the places where it scrapes?

I like the idea of matte paint - it makes the shade-tree dent repair less sad-looking (brushes bondo dust out of his hair). How did you apply it?
    The splitter is a liiiitle high but for now, the car doesn't have a flat bottom or diffuser so ground clearance is less crucial as the splitter is all about surface area and pressure above the splitter, both of which it succeeds in. Under-body aero is something I have plenty of experience with, but it's still undecided at this point whether we're going to go down that road with this car. Working within our time budget and having many other systems to work on as well, we went with an aero package that focuses on maximum result for time invested and required about 40 hours of build time rather than a 200+ hour package.

It's a metallic gray vinyl wrap. Not paint, not matte.
    Last edited by thepass; 11-25-2015 at 03:29 PM.
    Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

Liked
    539 times

Looks good, but needs more wing!

I do like how the yellow interior pops ...very sharp.

Steve

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2