• 1 Post By bellwilliam
  • 1 Post By Red_5
  • 1 Post By CoolTech
  • 1 Post By Silversprint

Thread: 2019 Miata gets 181 hp

Liked
    765 times

Default 2019 Miata gets 181 hp

The 2019 Miata will get a decent hp bump from a substantially reworked engine. Highlights include new lighter pistons, lighter connecting rods and a crankshaft balanced for higher RPMs. It gets a new larger air intake, throttle valve, intake valves and a larger smoother intake manifold. Exhaust side gets higher lift camshaft, lighter exhaust valves, redesigned exhaust ports, larger exhaust manifold and less restrictive exhaust silencer. The car will also get a dual mass flywheel. More info on the link below, not sure why the image won't embed.
    a6c501a4c19737ebf1beb54966c85493.jpg
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    2531 times

surprised to see zero mention of a stronger transmission....
    what's the point of a more powerful engine if the transmission can't even take existing engine's power.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    765 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    surprised to see zero mention of a stronger transmission....
    what's the point of a more powerful engine if the transmission can't even take existing engine's power.
    I thought they already reworked the transmission. Maybe not?

Liked
    810 times

Perhaps acknowledgement of a revised transmission would be admission the old one is problematic, bringing in a floor of warranty repairs/class action lawsuit?
    bellwilliam likes this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    765 times

Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    Perhaps acknowledgement of a revised transmission would be admission the old one is problematic, bringing in a floor of warranty repairs/class action lawsuit?
    With an increase in engine power, now would be a good time to mention a strengthened transmission. Mazda could always claim they changed it because of the added power.
    bellwilliam likes this.

Liked
    2531 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    I thought they already reworked the transmission. Maybe not?
    never trust manufacturers when they said they fixed something......Someone I trust on Mazda OEM stuff said already on 3rd or 4th iteration of the transmission, and still not working out.
    Red_5 likes this.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    817 times

That is a mighty fine power number for a car that weighs 2,300 lbs. Seems like it will be dropping a little weight from the nose and incorporate a higher redline. HP will increase, but torque should remain about the same. Is it torque that kills transmissions?
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    765 times

never trust manufacturers when they said they fixed something......Someone I trust on Mazda OEM stuff said already on 3rd or 4th iteration of the transmission, and still not working out.
    That's a bummer to hear. Maybe they just need to go back to the NC transmission and rear end like the Fiat uses.
    Quote Originally Posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
    That is a mighty fine power number for a car that weighs 2,300 lbs. Seems like it will be dropping a little weight from the nose and incorporate a higher redline. HP will increase, but torque should remain about the same. Is it torque that kills transmissions?
    This sounds like a fun car now hopefully with a sporty, revvy engine.

Liked
    2531 times

That's a bummer to hear. Maybe they just need to go back to the NC transmission and rear end like the Fiat uses.
    may be they did !!

I wonder what about the 2019 Fiata will do now Mazda bumped up power.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    765 times

may be they did !!

I wonder what about the 2019 Fiata will do now Mazda bumped up power.
    They'll turn up the boost!

And with this hardtop!
    https://forum.miata.net/vb/attachmen...1&d=1514305034
    Last edited by Red_5; 04-19-2018 at 02:30 PM.
    bellwilliam likes this.

Liked
    150 times

I'm still not impressed. It's a 2.0L running 13:1 compression making 181hp. When you compare that to Honda and Toyota engines it's not really impressive. I never understood why it only made 155hp with 2.0L in the first place.
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

Liked
    765 times

Quote Originally Posted by Silversprint View Post
    I'm still not impressed. It's a 2.0L running 13:1 compression making 181hp. When you compare that to Honda and Toyota engines it's not really impressive. I never understood why it only made 155hp with 2.0L in the first place.
    Does Honda make an N/A engine anymore smaller than the 3.5 in the Pilot/MDX? That engine is only making 290. I think due to emissions and fuel efficiency standards the era of high revving affordable engines is over. Besides, what current Honda would you rather have in the same price range? Toyota?

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2589 times

The Mazda Skyactiv-g uses about 50% less fuel. BSFC (google that) is something like 20% lower. Thats massive. The 2ZZ, for all it's high revving glory, is a dinosaur compared to the Skyactiv-g. The ECU in the Skyactiv-g is an amazing bit of tech in itself.

Remember, Mazda doesn't have hybrid tech yet. I might be wrong but I think the skyactiv-g is the most gasoline efficient production engine sold in North America, probably the world.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    1495 times

Yep. This new tech hopefully will buy Mazda another decade without being forced into a terrible deal on an electric.

Liked
    91 times

Isn't there a TrackHQ bylaw that forbids Mazda criticism?? LOL. Hard to imagine a car company that has done more for the promotion of amateur racing than Mazda.... despite being one of the very smallest car manufacturers out there!

I know many owners of the MX-5 Cup cars and all of the early guys got a brand new transmission free of charge from Mazda and, at least locally, there have been few reports of problems.

On another topic, brave Mazda.... against all of the headwinds against diesel, just got the CX5 CARB approved yesterday. Giddy-up.

OK, and you can call me biased. My daughter just started working for Mazda corporate this past Monday.
    Schmoe Money likes this.

Liked
    150 times

Does Honda make an N/A engine anymore smaller than the 3.5 in the Pilot/MDX? That engine is only making 290. I think due to emissions and fuel efficiency standards the era of high revving affordable engines is over. Besides, what current Honda would you rather have in the same price range? Toyota?
    Everyone else is moving to electrics or turbos. Smaller engine with same power as larger NA engines. That's why a Honda civic can make 205hp and get 42mpg out of a 1.5L engine.
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

Liked
    765 times

Everyone else is moving to electrics or turbos. Smaller engine with same power as larger NA engines. That's why a Honda civic can make 205hp and get 42mpg out of a 1.5L engine.
    I'm aware which I why asked if Honda currently makes an N/A engine smaller than the 3.5 in the MDX. If you're into small turbo engines then you can buy the Fiat version. The turbos seem to underperform in real world fuel mileage where the Mazda Skyactiv have been consistently beating their ratings. Personally I think I'd prefer a 2.0 from the Mazda although the new 124 Abarth GT looks pretty cool too.

You also avoided my question about which current similarly priced Honda or Toyota you'd prefer over the 181 hp Miata.

Liked
    150 times

I'm aware which I why asked if Honda currently makes an N/A engine smaller than the 3.5 in the MDX. If you're into small turbo engines then you can buy the Fiat version. The turbos seem to underperform in real world fuel mileage where the Mazda Skyactiv have been consistently beating their ratings. Personally I think I'd prefer a 2.0 from the Mazda although the new 124 Abarth GT looks pretty cool too.

You also avoided my question about which current similarly priced Honda or Toyota you'd prefer over the 181 hp Miata.
    Honestly I would buy a Ford Mustang, FRS, Camaro, before another Miata. I have owned new NA,NC miatas in the past. The Miata no longer fits my life. I only do occasional HPDE with street driven cars.
    Red_5 likes this.
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

OJR
    Liked
    110 times

I never thought about it like that. If you take into account the Toyota/Subaru child, the FA20, the ND 2.0 is down a bit on HP. But where the Skyactiv-G shines is torque. That engine has lots of torque and the ND is properly geared to take advantage of the "add lightness" factor.

Our ND is at the dealer now for touch screen delaminating and soft top. I was told 4th version of transmission and 5th version of the soft top. Transmission is not broken yet, so they won't switch it out.
    Just a guy racing stuff. #GetSickTour
    Facebook Instagram

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2589 times

I had the opportunity to drive a CX-5 skyactiv diesel a few years ago. It was not a production model of course but man that thing was cool. Bags of torque, stop/start.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

+ Reply to Thread