+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Blew my corvette up at wsir

Liked
    1488 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    do you know what blew on the motor?
    Not yet. A rod went out the side, but I haven't pulled the engine apart.

The instructions for installing the crank scraper called for deletion of the OEM windage tray. I wonder if that contributed.
    Last edited by robburgoon; 04-11-2018 at 09:10 PM.

Liked
    2513 times

Put a AN earl's mesh filter after the cooler so if you blow your motor and replace with a new one the new motor does not get aluminum bits from the old cooler. .
    like this ? are you not worried about oil pressure drop using this ?
    https://www.earls.com.au/shop/earls-oil-filter/
    https://www.amazon.com/Earls-Perform...70_&dpSrc=srch
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 04-11-2018 at 11:04 PM.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    2513 times

what tires were you on ?
    was this the first track day with the scrapper ?
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    1705 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    like this ? are you not worried about oil pressure drop using this ?
    https://www.earls.com.au/shop/earls-oil-filter/
    https://www.amazon.com/Earls-Perform...70_&dpSrc=srch

yes I used that. Not worried about pressure drop. Has mesh filter screen and I even use the screen for fuel which is finer. Maybe I should be worried? I have run it like that for years.

As to crank scrapers as a cause I do not know. I only know the LS6 bat wing pan is good for unmodified LS6 engines without aero on Dot-R tires. We suspect that the LS6 takes more punishment at a track like ACS nascar turn when rpm limit is turned up where drivers want to keep the car in 4th and save themselves the shift time and shifting more into T3 infield. I have always kept stock rpm limit for motor longevity and gone to 5th shifting extra to 3rd on infield entry. I think the high prm shifters are also the one seeing the classic clutch pedal stick at ACS. By the time drivers got faster with wings and spliters we see tipped over radiators and vented hoods. Conventional wisdom is also to drysump at that point for the extra protection and the extra power.

Liked
    1488 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    what tires were you on ?
    was this the first track day with the scrapper ?
    It's almost like you guys didn't read the first post, haha!

Federal RSRR 255, 275. Nothing too big or sticky, and yeah this was the first one.

Liked
    1488 times

yes I used that. Not worried about pressure drop. Has mesh filter screen and I even use the screen for fuel which is finer. Maybe I should be worried? I have run it like that for years.

As to crank scrapers as a cause I do not know. I only know the LS6 bat wing pan is good for unmodified LS6 engines without aero on Dot-R tires. We suspect that the LS6 takes more punishment at a track like ACS nascar turn when rpm limit is turned up where drivers want to keep the car in 4th and save themselves the shift time and shifting more into T3 infield. I have always kept stock rpm limit for motor longevity and gone to 5th shifting extra to 3rd on infield entry. I think the high prm shifters are also the one seeing the classic clutch pedal stick at ACS. By the time drivers got faster with wings and spliters we see tipped over radiators and vented hoods. Conventional wisdom is also to drysump at that point for the extra protection and the extra power.
    If I was on my own I think the smart move here is to say **** the LS6 and the crank scraper, put in a LS1 and at most change rod bolts and valve springs. See if I can make a cheap engine live before I blow up an expensive one.

Liked
    1705 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    If I was on my own I think the smart move here is to say **** the LS6 and the crank scraper, put in a LS1 and at most change rod bolts and valve springs. See if I can make a cheap engine live before I blow up an expensive one.

Yeah...you are going through the school of hardknocks. CF guys have been down that road. You then just move to the next weak link. So since 2004 where my vette involvment started people found weak valve springs. Then after the springs it was the rod bolts. So you are on the right progression. Then the powdered metal rods will break. So then you build a stock LS6 crank with forged rotating assembly. That's where we are now. This way the new wisdom is you only have to refresh heads. Drysumping is adding to longevity eventhough wet sump is doing fine and engine are not blowing up unless stressed harder with higher rpm limits, wings and splitter, and stickiest Dot-R tires. I do not think there is much cost difference between LS1 and LS6. LS6 is the LS1 with LS6 cam/heads and LS6 intake manifold. I would look at the class you want to be in. So if tracking or doing NASA or SCCA GT2 it would be LS2 block LS3 heads. Not sure on SCCA T1 rules. SpecCorvette or SCCA T2 it would be LS6. For the street...you gotta pass smog.
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    1488 times

Yeah...you are going through the school of hardknocks. CF guys have been down that road. You then just move to the next weak link. So since 2004 where my vette involvment started people found weak valve springs. Then after the springs it was the rod bolts. So you are on the right progression. Then the powdered metal rods will break. So then you build a stock LS6 crank with forged rotating assembly. That's where we are now. This way the new wisdom is you only have to refresh heads. Drysumping is adding to longevity eventhough wet sump is doing fine and engine are not blowing up unless stressed harder with higher rpm limits, wings and splitter, and stickiest Dot-R tires. I do not think there is much cost difference between LS1 and LS6. LS6 is the LS1 with LS6 cam/heads and LS6 intake manifold. I would look at the class you want to be in. So if tracking or doing NASA or SCCA GT2 it would be LS2 block LS3 heads. Not sure on SCCA T1 rules. SpecCorvette or SCCA T2 it would be LS6. For the street...you gotta pass smog.
    That's the thing though, that recipe *should* have worked for the wimpy tires I used. I figure either the scraper is bad, or someone messed with the engine already, or I got REALLY unlucky. Everything else should have been fine with a big safety margin.

LS1 junkyard seems to be $2k-3.5k, LS6 junkyard seems to be $3.5k-6k.

This car won't be going into any sort of class if I can't make it not blow up...

Liked
    1705 times

That's the thing though, that recipe *should* have worked for the wimpy tires I used. I figure either the scraper is bad, or someone messed with the engine already, or I got REALLY unlucky. Everything else should have been fine with a big safety margin.

LS1 junkyard seems to be $2k-3.5k, LS6 junkyard seems to be $3.5k-6k.

This car won't be going into any sort of class if I can't make it not blow up...
    Yeah you should have been OK...I only question the scraper because it made you alter other stuff in the pan. That may have been the kiss of death. A scraper is good in concept but we don't know the execution of it. I don't know anyone using one on LS1/6 motors, Everyone is stock or aftermarket drysump. Junkyard motors are always a risk but rebuilding is too. Engine builders are like housing contractors...they talk talk talk but rarely deliver.
    bellwilliam, bawareca and JJ1 like this.

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    814 times

It's almost like you guys didn't read the first post, haha!

Federal RSRR 255, 275. Nothing too big or sticky, and yeah this was the first one.
    Now that I think about it, I was wearing the same tires in the same sizes when my LS1 became an LSDone. I think we found our culprit.
    bellwilliam likes this.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    1488 times

Quote Originally Posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
    Now that I think about it, I was wearing the same tires in the same sizes when my LS1 became an LSDone. I think we found our culprit.
    Attaboy federal! Haha! They really aren't that sticky though.

I saw a 1:33 just before explosion and I was just coasting/braking into 8 and generally afraid.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2