+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Blew my corvette up at wsir

Liked
    1488 times

Default Blew my corvette up at wsir

Well phooey. Put federal 255 and 275 on a c5, added an oil cooler and crank scraper, and blew it up after 25 min.

Locked up the rears and sent me into 9 backwards. Had no idea the engine went, thought a tire fell off or something.

Only warning was a very brief flash of "check gauges" in turn 2 in the same lap. Gauges looked fine when I dutifully checked.

Notes for posterity:
    Big oil cooler behind the radiator.
    Stock rad, 50/50 coolant, a/c present
    Ambient 60*
    Coolant 220*
    Oil temp 275*
    Oil pressure 35-40 psi in 2 in lots of laps, haha
    Last edited by robburgoon; 04-11-2018 at 07:58 PM.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2564 times

Bummer.

C6 LS3?
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    1488 times

C5 ls1 with crank scraper

Liked
    594 times

That sucks. Glad it didn't toss you in way where you got hurt!

Steve
    Loose Caboose likes this.

Liked
    2513 times

That sucks !!

Broken Valve spring ? I know thatís a big issue with LS6. Not sure about LS1
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    474 times

bummer!
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Liked
    1488 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    That sucks !!

Broken Valve spring ? I know that’s a big issue with LS6. Not sure about LS1
    Think I'd hear it go sour if it dropped a valve? This was instant death, more like I'd imagine a rod deciding to depart would feel like. Just instant lockup.
    bellwilliam likes this.

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    814 times

25 minutes? I'm jealous.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    86 times

Not a lot of experience with vettes but 275F oil temps on a 60F ambient day seems pretty high. Also (again, not a vette expert)but placing an oil cooler BEHIND a radiator never seems like a good idea. Oil-to-air heat exchangers are inherently inferior to oil-to-liquid coolers and you need ALL of the air temperature differential possible. The air, heated by passing through the radiator, is probably making the oil cooler pretty darn ineffective. Sorry the big ka-boom had to happen to you.
    DocWalt likes this.

Liked
    1488 times

Quote Originally Posted by CoolTech View Post
    Not a lot of experience with vettes but 275F oil temps on a 60F ambient day seems pretty high. Also (again, not a vette expert)but placing an oil cooler BEHIND a radiator never seems like a good idea. Oil-to-air heat exchangers are inherently inferior to oil-to-liquid coolers and you need ALL of the air temperature differential possible. The air, heated by passing through the radiator, is probably making the oil cooler pretty darn ineffective. Sorry the big ka-boom had to happen to you.
    275 oil is low for a corvette. And yes, of course the oil cooler is going to suffer behind the rad. That's why I picked a big one. Think of the radiator as a giant screen protecting the oil cooler
    bellwilliam and bawareca like this.

Liked
    2513 times

Where are the LS experts ? It doesnít sound like oil pressure in this case ? Sususnowboarss also blew up his Vette, what was the cause of that ?
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    688 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    Think of the radiator as a giant screen protecting the oil cooler
    But you forgot to put the screen that is protecting the engine
    Sorry for your engine, I know how you feel
    ucfbrett likes this.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    2036 times

^ Back in the days I was wrenching on RX-7s we referred to a CEL as the "change engine light".
    Sorry to hear about the engine, Rob.

Liked
    86 times

Yeah, so I've read about the notoriously high vette oil temps, but on a 60F day? A smallish oil cooler in front of the radiator may be whole lot more effective than a large cooler behind the radiator. Also, what are the specs on the heat exchanger? Some of the Chinese-made coolers have notoriously high pressure drops across the cooler. Mishimoto, despite having a Japanese sounding name, does have some real CRAP coolers, for example.

Datalogging oil pressure and plotting this against a track layout can be revealing.... as this one was for us!

lowOil.JPG
    ucfbrett and JJ1 like this.

fe4
    Liked
    58 times

That sucks.

Without a cooler, WSIR and 50-60*F ambient temps means oil in the mid 290s, so you're not doing worse than no cooler.

I would guess "Check Gages" with no CEL means overheat or low oil pressure, but I forget if those messages in the DIC clear themselves automatically or not.

Liked
    1488 times

Quote Originally Posted by fe4 View Post
    That sucks.

Without a cooler, WSIR and 50-60*F ambient temps means oil in the mid 290s, so you're not doing worse than no cooler.

I would guess "Check Gages" with no CEL means overheat or low oil pressure, but I forget if those messages in the DIC clear themselves automatically or not.
    That's what I read online, that light usually means a gauge is in the red. Coolant temps can't move that fast without a loose wire.

Liked
    1488 times

Quote Originally Posted by CoolTech View Post
    Yeah, so I've read about the notoriously high vette oil temps, but on a 60F day? A smallish oil cooler in front of the radiator may be whole lot more effective than a large cooler behind the radiator. Also, what are the specs on the heat exchanger? Some of the Chinese-made coolers have notoriously high pressure drops across the cooler. Mishimoto, despite having a Japanese sounding name, does have some real CRAP coolers, for example.

Datalogging oil pressure and plotting this against a track layout can be revealing.... as this one was for us!

Attachment 11529
    Yep, I know a small one would do great up front, but I'm planning on drafting and eating lots of rocks and want an obvious spray of coolant rather than oil pressure loss.

Also, with this setup, expect cooler efficency to go up dramatically as oil temps go up due to the hot air. I'd also expect oil cooling to improve some at higher coolant temps due to the fan kicking on and the fan being up against the oil cooler.

It's a funny rig, but it would be great if I can make it work.

Liked
    1705 times

It took me a while to break rotors on the 3rd trackday like Oli and gang and get to the point I needed an oil cooler but I only ran dead of winter until May! I had a dinky oil cooler on the lower left in front of the A/C condenser (I still had A/C), and the stock radiator. I saw regular 290 temps but good coolant temps and ran 20-50 oil that provided the same viscosity of 10-30 at 230 street temps. My engine never blew running stock rpm limit. It was trying to refresh my engine for more power that I ran into problems. So be very very careful who you use to rebuild your motor. I have given up and will send out my machining,measure everything, and build the motors myself. It wasn't until I started racing around the country in all weather including dreaded heat of Florida that I got serious about cooling this engine. Dewitts and Ron davis make the thick radiator with right side integral oil cooler. You want Right side cooler because of how the water flows and that means the oil out to motor is cooler. Put a AN earl's mesh filter after the cooler so if you blow your motor and replace with a new one the new motor does not get aluminum bits from the old cooler. It is impossible to really clean an old cooler. Still I see 280 on the hottest days and that is perfectly fine. I know I can get lower temps by putting the cooler in the license plate hole or by the foglights. But don't do that because one good hit and your day is done. An external cooler in front of radiator is well protected. For a time I used 1/4" mesh to protect what I might suck in. Going off track for me is no big deal I'm happy to drive there.
    But studies show the 1/4" mesh reduces airflow to the coolers so I removed it. An advantage to an external cooler is you can replace it with your new motor so you can't get any bad stuff in your new motor. That is a serious issue. One of the T1 guys blew his motor. He put in a second motor and blew that up the same weekend. He quit the sport and I haven't seen him since.

Liked
    1488 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    An advantage to an external cooler is you can replace it with your new motor so you can't get any bad stuff in your new motor. That is a serious issue. One of the T1 guys blew his motor. He put in a second motor and blew that up the same weekend. He quit the sport and I haven't seen him since.
    Yeppers, the idea is to run an external cooler so that I can swap it out cheaply, and get temps under control with an ebay racing radiator. Then just bring a spare cheap radiator with you to the track and you're in business. IF that can control the temps. I think it might.

Liked
    1705 times

do you know what blew on the motor?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast