• 4 Post By Force McCocken
  • 1 Post By fatbillybob
  • 1 Post By ucfbrett
  • 1 Post By Force McCocken

Thread: I would buy a boat

Liked
    1358 times

Default I would buy a boat

"I would... I would buy a boat... and I would be gone. If I wanted to have that recreational lifestyle, I would buy a boat and I would only allow the people that I like on my boat. So I would not...like... To, To have a race car, you're like buying a boat every year, and you have to let all the people you ****ing HATE on your BOAT every saturday. I don't like... I.. Like I don't get it, I don't understand it. It's like.. "
    "Someone comes by to say hi and you just want to kick him in the shins"
    "I'm just saying, like I've been... I've been eyebrows deep in this sport since I was FIVE years old, but I would still NEVER buy a car EVER. Like it just doesn't... the mechanics of it all just doesn't make sense to me."
    "Therein lies the problem of why it's going where it's going"
    "To spend eighty thousand dollars on racing; just... to be around people that you hate! I would sooner nail my hand to the doorframe, then spend money to be around some of these people."

Olitho and bawareca like this.

Liked
    2140 times

OK, for those of us who don't already know, who uttered this quote?

Liked
    1358 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    OK, for those of us who don't already know, who uttered this quote?
    It's from the Racing Saturday Night Style northeast/ontario paved oval racing podcast. I think it was a former race announcer that said it while on the podcast, which another host interjecting with the shins and where racing is going.

Liked
    2140 times

He should race a Spec Miata. I don't spend anywhere near $80,000, and I really like the people I race with.

Liked
    688 times

The best boats are your friends' boats.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    1279 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    It's from the Racing Saturday Night Style northeast/ontario paved oval racing podcast.
    Whew! I thought our engineer was trying his hand a poetry and sucking at it...
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    2140 times

Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    The best boats are your friends' boats.
    Yep. I covered the boating industry for years — still do, a little — and it's a masochistic hobby, for sure.

Liked
    688 times

I worked a little in boating industry as a designer.

I also lived along Lake Michigan for a few years. Boats are just a PITA, even PWC. I do like sailboats, small ones. I worked a summer at a marina with an in and out service. Essentially, it's a private boat launch where they store powerboats of different lengths and sizes in warehouses, on racks, stacked three high. We moved and launched clients' boats with forklifts. The forks are about 20-25 feet long, depending on which lift you operated. The owner of the marina was an ass. He was ill-tempered towards his employees and a notorious cheep skate. The idea as a forklift operator was to be very careful and steady; a 19 or 35 ft powerboat is expensive and very heavy. You DON'T want to grab the wrong control and damage the hull, let alone crash the boat on your forks into the others next to it (above or below it too).

One busy June day, we had a lot of requests for launches, and we were getting backed up. The owner was getting impatient because families were waiting, though only the really rich clients were complaining. He shoo'd one of the lift operators off the rig and sped off to grab a 34' Chriscraft cabin cruiser without a spotter. I remember the sound it made when that boat hit the ground. The owner grabbed the wrong lever in his haste and opened the forks, the boat slipped though, and hit the concrete below, bow first. He tried blaming the operator he shoo'd away, but he was in the other warehouse waiting to get his rig back. I quit the next week, but I know the owner was on the hook to replace that boat. Sweet justice.
    bawareca likes this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

+ Reply to Thread