+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Moving to the Durty Durty

Liked
    760 times

Default Moving to the Durty Durty

My wife received an offer to transfer to the Atlanta office and she accepted! My HPDE at Atlanta Motorsports Park this past weekend also became a hunt to secure housing to rent until we figure out where we want to buy. So, see you later Norf Cacky, Georgia is the new hotness!

Its a better market for both of us. We struggled to transition from the SOCAL lifestyle and variety to RDU's slower, smaller size.

We have many, many friends in ATL, so the transition for us is pretty easy. It actually puts me in the same locale as my closest racing/Miata friends, so I'm pretty excited! Our new home will also have a two car garage and a nice fenced in yard for our hounds.

It puts me 30-45 minutes from Atlanta Motorsports Park, about 45 minutes from Road Atlanta, 3 hours from Carolina Motorsports Park, 2.5 hours from Barber, etc.

Oh, and I will be reunited with my former Miata very soon. It currently resides in ATL and I am slated to reacquire it.

Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    188 times

Road trip to Force's house?
    bawareca and Force McCocken like this.

Liked
    1478 times

I've been to Atlanta once. There's a great BBQ place but I can't think of the name. Everyone there will know it. Order the "Rib Sandwich." It's a full rack of baby back ribs and a half-a-loaf of Wonder Bread . . .
    Force McCocken likes this.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    245 times

Atlanta is a great city. I was there last month for a friend's wedding. Nice place, I was really impressed.

And I saw lots of good looking women there, too! ;-)

Liked
    760 times

Thanks! We wanted to relocate to ATL when we lived in Charlotte, but an opportunity brought us to SOCAL first. When we moved back east, the Raleigh position popped up first. It has been a long time coming and we are grateful. I work from home now, allowing my wife to build her career. The aforementioned moves gave her valuable incremental promotions and experience while her company went through two mergers in that time. She garnered an excellent reputation in SOCAL, but she came to Raleigh and crushed everything they put her way. Quite frankly, when the ATL office found out she wanted to move there, they created a position for her. . I am proud of her and she is pumped to get the job.

Meanwhile, one of our friends lives in a swanky part of ATL, on Lake Lanier. Massive house, snooty area, he doesn't fit in but his wife is a neuro surgeon. His neighbor is some IMSA big wig. My buddy loved putting me up while I did HPDEs at RA and AMP because it gave him a reason to loudly wrench on my ****boxes, drinking PBR tall boys in the driveway at all hours of the night to piss that neighbor off.
    bawareca, Schmoe Money and slodrew like this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    760 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    I've been to Atlanta once. There's a great BBQ place but I can't think of the name. Everyone there will know it. Order the "Rib Sandwich." It's a full rack of baby back ribs and a half-a-loaf of Wonder Bread . . .
    This sounds like any city in the south. .
    2GRX7 likes this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    1478 times

^^^ The only places in the South I have ever been to are New Orleans and Atlanta. Unless Texas qualifies as the South; I have also been to Dallas (yuck) . . .
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 03-18-2015 at 06:43 PM.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    2288 times

Be sure you move close to wherever your wife works. I'm convinced the traffic in Atlanta is worse than in SoCal. Lake Lanier is a *****in' place, but it's a haul from there to downtown Atlanta.

Liked
    760 times

For sure! She works in Dunwoody, our home is in Alpharetta just to the north. Her office is actually planning to move closer to there after their current lease is up. They are right at 400 and the Perimeter, which is pretty rough, traffic-wise. I have close friends all over ATL; Marietta, Alpharetta, Tucker, Decatur, Oakwood, and Buckhead...I know the town fairly well.

Richard - Texans only call themselves Southerners when it is convenient, otherwise it is just another reason for them to get into a brawl. New Orleans is Southern, for sure, but unique. If you visit most cities in the 'new South', like Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Asheville, Atlanta, Charleston, etc. it is a bit surprising and easier to deal with because of the influx of population relocated from the northern areas of the U.S. Since returning here, I am still amazed at the number of Californians moving here. The banking, medical research, pharma, and tech sectors are strengthening here. I am from the upper Midwest myself, though.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    133 times

I lived just outside of asheville nc for a while and worked in Atlanta GA. Went down there 2 weeks on 2 weeks off. I expected to hate Atlanta with my pre-conceived Yanky northerner mentality. I was sort of blown away by the city and the people. Everyone there couldn't have been more nice. I would end up at bars and whatnot and be completely in the minority and people couldn't have been nicer or more fun to hang around with.

Great choice and what a hot spot in on the right coast for track stuff. Enjoy!

Liked
    760 times

I love the mountain roads north of ATL, too. My wife and I go there a bit for rafting/kayaking or just to get away in the forests. It's pretty damned amazing.

I agree with the people being friendly here. When I moved from Detroit to Charlotte, it used to spook me how people would look me in the eyes, say hello, or strike up random conversations while waiting in line or whatever. A friend of mine from SOCAL just relocated to Myrtle Beach, he noticed the same thing and loves it.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    717 times

We'll be in the ATL in a couple of weeks, my brother-in-law lives there. It will be my first time there that won't be for work. He also has some cabins in the hills about an hour and half outside of ATL, sounds nice out there.

I can definitely see the draw of cities like Atlanta but I'm not sure I could ever live in the South. If we ever leave SB, it will probably be to move north.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    760 times

Yes, it isn't for everyone. It has a unique history and culture that can take some getting used to. The weather too.

Are your brother's cabins in western North Carolina? It is easier to get to the Blue Ridge Mountains in NC from ATL than it is from Charlotte. Of all the places I have visited in the world, it still remains one of my favorites.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    717 times

Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    Are your brother's cabins in western North Carolina? It is easier to get to the Blue Ridge Mountains in NC from ATL than it is from Charlotte. Of all the places I have visited in the world, it still remains one of my favorites.
    His cabins are south of Atlanta. I'll know more in a couple of weeks.

I've heard really nice things about the mountains of western NC. It's a place I'd like to visit someday.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    760 times

Bummer. The Nantahala Forest is gorgeous. Hope to own a getaway home out there someday. My wife loves it, too, because she is part Cherokee. She feels a natural connection to it. Trail of Tears and such.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    51 times

I lived in Atlanta for a couple years and enjoyed it. Plenty of good restaurants, although they are sometimes in the strangest places (e.g. middle of industrial parks), decent amount to do and good proximity to some decent race tracks. Enjoy!

Liked
    2288 times

Force, why do you call it the "durty durty?"

Liked
    760 times

It's a slang term for ATL, The Dirty South, AKA the Ol' Durty Durty.
    Last edited by Force McCocken; 03-19-2015 at 02:36 PM.
    2GRX7 and Schmoe Money like this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    760 times

Made the move safely.

First week has been eventful. We were stuck in an elevator at the Georgia Aquarium, the Atlanta Fire Department had to help get us out. Today we had tornado warnings and it passed just south of us, leaving us with blueberry-sized hail. Good times!

image.jpg
    2GRX7 and bawareca like this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    574 times

Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    It's a slang term for ATL, The Dirty South, AKA the Ol' Durty Durty.
    And I always think of Atlanta as the home of the Redneck Rushmore... but that's because I'm from the West and a cynic

Steve

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast