• 1 Post By anorexicpoodle
  • 1 Post By Integral
  • 3 Post By Force McCocken

Thread: Irma

Liked
    751 times

Default Irma

FullSizeRender.jpg

Hope those of you in FL, GA, and affected areas are alright and already made plans.

This updated path I saw this morning when I woke up was another inconvenience. I live in northern ATL, in Roswell. I'm going to be fine. I will begin preparations this afternoon; prep the chainsaw, get fuel for it, top off the wagon, fuel the shotguns, button down the yard. My biggest worry are all the big pine trees that surround my home. I live in a solid brick ranch, so we will be alright. I also have a pair of #70 dogs for added security, they can run at tropical storm wind speeds.

My sister and her family are 20 miles west of Orlando, just above the "2" in the image above, direct path. I tried to get them to come up here to wait out this thing, even offered to drive down to help them secure their home and carry valuables back. It's their first big storm since they moved there. So, hoping for the best, already penciling in a trip down there next week, if needed, to help them.

Stay safe!
    Last edited by Force McCocken; 09-08-2017 at 05:33 AM.
    BOWERSdaAZIAN and bawareca like this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    114 times

Hunkering down here west of Orlando as well. We're looking at a category 2 when it hits us. We're staying as well. Propane tanks, Solar cells, water all over the house!

Liked
    558 times

Stay safe!

It's obviously too late now, but something we've found useful over the years are glowsticks. They are inexpensive and keep for years. In a living room, a couple of them through off enough light so that you can sit and talk and not feel like you are trapped in the dark (all the while not consuming battery power)

They are also great in cars when you get stuck on the highway at night because some moron decided that the giant flashing signs that said "chains required for commercial vehicles" didn't apply to HIS tractor-trailer until he spun out, jacknifed, and blocked the 70 for 4 freakin hours.

(He was lucky he was in Colorado and not Wyoming. In Wyoming he might have been put down on the basis of "thinning the herd")

Steve
    BOWERSdaAZIAN likes this.

Liked
    751 times

Went to stock up during lunch, fueled the wagon, bought some supplies. Only a handful of people at Lowes doing the same. Not my first rodeo here, but I don't want to be caught wanting (much). I think tomorrow will be worse for this shopping and I wanted to go to a British car show tomorrow, so yeah, priorities.

Been hearing drive times around FL are 2x average. Friend from StL was on a cruise. It turned around days early, had to shuttle from Canaveral to Orlando to rent a car. Took him 12 hours to get from Orlando to Birmingham, AL, driving all night. He saw gas shortages and plenty of slow moving traffic. Another took 7 hours to drive from Ocala to Tifton, GA, that's 185 miles on a freeway. I'm still prepping to head down early next week if my family calls.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    2216 times

Good planning and good luck to all.

Be ready is not an accident.
    bawareca likes this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

"Shoe"
    Liked
    566 times

Always fuel the shotguns. Yes drive times are stupid and getting stuck in your car is dangerous.
    SteveLevin likes this.

Liked
    558 times

A full shotgun and an M79 are the path to happiness.

The young kids might insist on the M82 but I'm old enough to prefer a good old tub thumper.

Steve

Liked
    751 times

Modified 1187 at the ready, Mossberg is prepped for my wife, stashed the rifle in the basement because it's a defensible position. Asp is in the nightstand, aluminum bat in the closet. I have two 70# dogs, each is fiercely loyal, the slowest clocks in at 43mph. We should be alright.
    bawareca likes this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    88 times

Irma's knocking on my door at the moment. I'm in the Northeast quadrant near the Atlantic ocean just on the East side of the cone of doom. Quite a bit of rain and 70+ MPH winds at the moment. Surprised I still have electric & cable. Trees going down in neighbors yards and I started loosing roof shingles

Liked
    2216 times

Quote Originally Posted by NOT A TA View Post
    Irma's knocking on my door at the moment. I'm in the Northeast quadrant near the Atlantic ocean just on the East side of the cone of doom. Quite a bit of rain and 70+ MPH winds at the moment. Surprised I still have electric & cable. Trees going down in neighbors yards and I started loosing roof shingles
    Hold on tight. Let us know when you are clear out the other side.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

"Shoe"
    Liked
    566 times

Meteorologists are MORONS.

Liked
    138 times
    Integral likes this.

Liked
    7 times

Quote Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle View Post
    o florida, how i miss thee...hahahah.
    GraemeD likes this.
    '01 Porsche 996 911 Turbo - Reliable track toy
    '93 Mazda RX7 R1 single turbo - SOLD

Liked
    751 times

We made it with no damage. My sister still doesn't have power, but they are all fine. I think it hit them at an H2.

We were over-prepared, but we weren't sure if we would be housing friends.

We never lost power or cable, so we retreated to the basement/man cave and binged on movies Sunday through Monday. A good friend of mine lives three miles west of us and lost a bunch of big trees, power, and data. The creek at the bottom of our neighborhood feeds into the Chattahochee about a mile away, it was very high. Our home is up on a ridge, so no chance of flooding. Other parts of Atlanta didn't fare so well. Other friends near Midtown lost power early and were dark for two days.

I saw peak gusts around 60mph, the 75 foot pine trees around our home held up fine. We received around 3-4" of rain, which isn't bad for this area. Just finished cleaning up the yard this evening with 13 bags of yard waste, so not terrible by any stretch. I got bored Monday during the storm and started refurbishing an extra set of lifters for the Miata. I am driving Road Atlanta next weekend and this weather was an annoyance to my prep.

Thanks to whomever suggested the glow sticks! I ordered a box on Amazon Prime and they delivered Monday during the storm
    Olitho, BOWERSdaAZIAN and bawareca like this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

+ Reply to Thread