+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Youtube vs Vimeo

LongWinded National Champ Bueller's Avatar
    Liked
    168 times

Default Youtube vs Vimeo

I dont have an account on either site, but one of my sponsors, RRE, posts my videos on Vimeo. Reason they post on Vimeo is because the free membership allows you to post 500mb of video. Basically, i can have them post an entire race, something around as long as 40min or so. Disadvantage is that youre limited to 500mb a week. RRE started posting my videos in 2009, and iirc at that time Youtube allowed nothing more than 10min. Looks like Youtubes limitations have changed gradually, and now everyone can post 15min videos. Also, if you want to post anything longer i read that you have to follow these steps:

Uploading longer videos - YouTube Help

Im not excited about giving Youtube a phone number. But i keep reading and hearing different things about that. Ive read some people somehow magically can post long videos without having to give them a phone number or follow any of those steps. While some people struggle even though they followed those requirements. Thoughts on any of this? Are you aware of any upcoming changes with either site? Any other input you want to share?

Thanks
    Team Rambling Warrior Poet

RRE
    Robispec
    Girodisc
    SCM
    APR

Sir flink
    Liked
    552 times

It's a thing they put in there to make it harder for people to upload movies and such.

I got the unlimited upload thing a couple of years ago without asking for it.

Giving google a phone number doesn't sound a huge imposition. They probably know your number already

As for the relative merits of the sites: there isn't much difference, IMO. Some web forums don't handle embedding of vimeo content; can't think of much else.

Liked
    168 times

Im sure they also know what i ate for breakfast. Lots of people here post videos, basically id like to hear what everyone has to say. Complaints, advantages, disadvantages, news...im all ears.

RRE
    Robispec
    Girodisc
    SCM
    APR

Liked
    434 times

Another downside of vimeo for viewers is it doesnt work on some mobile devices.
    ~ Jim Tway
    Tway Motorsports
    (714) 528-2150
    #57 Pacific Automotive Recycling Center Corvette

Brought to you by:
    Pacific Automotive Recycling Center
    PA Construction
    American Heritage Performance

Liked
    2243 times

If I'm not mistaken, you can "earn" the privilege of posting videos up to 15 minutes after you post a bunch of shorter videos. I prefer YouTube because it's faster than Vimeo and is more the standard of the industry. YouTube videos probably have far better odds for search, too.

Liked
    168 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, you can "earn" the privilege of posting videos up to 15 minutes after you post a bunch of shorter videos. I prefer YouTube because it's faster than Vimeo and is more the standard of the industry. YouTube videos probably have far better odds for search, too.
    Im hoping someone here knows. Because ive searched and cant find anything certain. That link i posted up top is supposedly what Youtube requires if you want to post videos longer than 15min. Although, i keep finding articles of people complaining that theyve followed that procedure, and theyve been a longtime Youtube member with a good standing account, but still cant post longer videos. At the same rate, some people respond that they didnt follow those requirements, didnt provide a cell phone number, and can post long videos.

RRE
    Robispec
    Girodisc
    SCM
    APR

Sir flink
    Liked
    552 times

I assume it's all automated - it looks at your membership duration, number of uploads and whether you have any black marks against your name. I'd guess that it regularly scans all users looking for people who qualify, and that web form is a way of manually starting such a scan. If you didn't match the acceptance criteria, nothing happens.

Im hoping someone here knows. Because ive searched and cant find anything certain
    Nobody is supposed to know, I bet. I expect the acceptance criteria are unpublished and keep on changing due to the never ending arms race against scumbags.

Liked
    981 times

Unless they've recently changed it, vimeo doesn't let you skip forward in a video. You have to sit and wait for it to load all the video before you can fast forward. Depending on your internet connection speed that can be very annoying. I can upload long videos to youtube now so that's all I use.
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

Liked
    168 times

Quote Originally Posted by redtopz View Post
    Unless they've recently changed it, vimeo doesn't let you skip forward in a video. You have to sit and wait for it to load all the video before you can fast forward. Depending on your internet connection speed that can be very annoying. I can upload long videos to youtube now so that's all I use.
    I dont know when, but Vimeo changed that feature. You can now skip forward.

I see youve been a youtube member since 2008. It took you this long to be able to post long videos?

RRE
    Robispec
    Girodisc
    SCM
    APR

Sir flink
    Liked
    552 times

I can skip forward in vimeo videos, but only to a point which has already been downloaded. Try to skip off the end of the progress bar and it doesn't work. ie, you can seek in the local player but it doesn't know how to tell the server to do a seek.

Liked
    15 times

you get 15min limit by default. if your account is in good standing for a while then they will just freely upgrade you with no phone number. I got an email a long time ago randomly say i can now upload longer videos. If you want to force the issue then you just give them your # so they can verify the account.....thats how i understand it at least....they probably just text message you something that you then have to type in...then they know a real person is behind the account.

Liked
    20 times

I prefer Youtube, though something about Vimeo's compression makes for a better viewing experience.

With Google Chrome and their extensions, i can just download any YouTube clip with one click so to better watch and skip through boring bits without waiting for the damn buffering bar to load.

Liked
    168 times

Thanks everyone. If anyone wants to share anything else let me know.

RRE
    Robispec
    Girodisc
    SCM
    APR

OJR
    Liked
    102 times

I'm not sure what it is, but for me YouTube has been terrible recently. Video loading has been a nightmare. Vimeo has been much more reliable at loading video at my office. HD Vimeo will load quicker than 480p YouTube!
    Just a guy racing stuff. #GetSickTour
    Facebook Instagram

Liked
    168 times

Quote Originally Posted by OJR View Post
    I'm not sure what it is, but for me YouTube has been terrible recently. Video loading has been a nightmare. Vimeo has been much more reliable at loading video at my office. HD Vimeo will load quicker than 480p YouTube!
    Interesting. Do you have Vimeo Plus?

RRE
    Robispec
    Girodisc
    SCM
    APR

+ Reply to Thread