• Turn 9 still scares me

16 20.25%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: WSIR is a.....

Liked
    10 times

Quote Originally Posted by J. Tyler View Post
    F2000's with, what, 200hp do 1:17's at WSIR.................................... ....
    imagine it can go even faster with 700hp
    Jaku 峠

Liked
    2 times

remember... your vote can change the nature of this track

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by kenchi View Post
    remember... your vote can change the nature of this track
    In your own mind . . .
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

i dont care
    Liked
    5 times

i havent read all the posts in here.....

HP def doesnt hurt you at big willow

id even say it can mask a poor driver at big willow... at buttonwillow big power cant save you....
    driving cars n stuff....

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
    A "horsepower track" is a track with tight corners and longish straights. Carrying slightly more momentum off of a slow speed corner will not have a large effect on the speed at the end of the straight and you have to brake back down for another slow speed corner. This gives the loss of momentum a lesser affect on the total lap time as you get a chance to come right back up to speed in the next corner. I consider cali speeway a "horsepower track" because it is basically a series of drag races from one slow corner to the next. Willow Springs on the other hand is a momentum track because to set a fast lap in any car you need to carry your momentum all the way from turn 5 to turn 3. If you lose that momentum at any point of that lap the lap is done. On cali speedway if you screw up in any particular turn other than the oval it does not affect your lap time nearly as much because you get a chance to come back up to speed at the next slow speed corner which isn't that far away.
    Glad I voted right

I just went to AutoClub Speedway (hate that new name) with Redline during Mazfest and they had this mock race between two 1st gen RX7s, Emilio's Miata and some Mazdaspeed 3 or something (it was purple and red). Emilio just couldn't keep up with the two RX7s. They let him pass here and there just to keep the fans happy, but it was obvious that the momentum-ness of the Miata was worthless at AutoClub Speedway.

Sorry to digress, just showing an example of agreeing with racepar1 on his approach to this discussion.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2399 times

Quote Originally Posted by kinchu007 View Post
    Glad I voted right

I just went to AutoClub Speedway (hate that new name) with Redline during Mazfest and they had this mock race between two 1st gen RX7s, Emilio's Miata and some Mazdaspeed 3 or something (it was purple and red). Emilio just couldn't keep up with the two RX7s. They let him pass here and there just to keep the fans happy, but it was obvious that the momentum-ness of the Miata was worthless at AutoClub Speedway.

Sorry to digress, just showing an example of agreeing with racepar1 on his approach to this discussion.
    LOL.The RX7's most definitely did not "let" me pass. We fought tooth and nail for that mini race. The eventual winner and I traded the lead 4 times on the last lap. Maybe you missed me passing them both into the hairpin on the 2nd lap, they were both taking the wrong line on entry and braking for the chicane. If I had been willing to hop a kerb in one spot, I would have won as I could have passed them before the hairpin and held enough of a gap not to be out powered on the front straight. But I though it would be pretty stupid to bend a wheel or bodywork in a 4-5 lap demo race

But you're right, the grip advantage wasn't enough to overcome the time lost on the two 1/4 mile long straights coming off of slow corners. If there was a single long fast turn, like T2 at WSIR or Riverside at BRP I also would have walked away. As it was, I was crawling along behind them in the turns so I suspect I was maybe 1-2 sec faster. The lowest lap time doesn't always win though.

ACS infield is a very HP oriented track, but not as much as the Roval or Laguna Seca.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    22 times

Quote Originally Posted by JC3D View Post
    Just like chuck norris, I am scared of nothing. But 8 makes me feel equally the same way as 9 with my history on that turn.
    My win in stock class at the redline this past weekend was primarily because of turn 9. One lap I mustered the guts to stay wide enough and fast enough to late apex and get on the gas and my speed as I reached track out was over 100 mph.

That lap was 2 seconds faster and the only time I have been above 100 on exit of that corner.

I made it fine but it is scary to do.
    Corvette Specialty C6
    Life is like a race, the best times win!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3