+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 or vista..?

Banned
    Liked
    0 times

Default Windows 7 or vista..?

Hi to all
    I am planning to buy new laptop.But confused little which system to buy.So please share your experience so i can get some ideas.which one is better..?

Liked
    2282 times

Windows 7. no question
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    977 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    Windows 7. no question
    +1. If for some unfortunate reason you must use Windows, 7 or XP are the only optoins!

Motorsports Photographer imager993's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    +1. If for some unfortunate reason you must use Windows, 7 or XP are the only optoins!
    +7 for 7. Don't touch Vista
    Aaron Kupferman | 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe | Visual Effects Electric Reality | Motorsports Photography Motorsport Lens | Other Photography AaronKupferman.com

Liked
    2 times

XP

Liked
    142 times

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lngEwyrRYbM[/YOUTUBE]

Why not try a Mac J/K. If you are going to download your track sessions from a data logger you will need a PC. Just make sure the software is compatible with windows 7 if you go that route.

Just my $0.02

Liked
    1477 times

Macs suck. They cost 3 times as much to start (5 times with bells and whistles), and are incredibly counter-intuitive. I'm sure Windows 7 is fine. I still use XP. No problems. Don't believe apple's TV ads. You don't believe other TV ads, do you?

BTW, Mike Devidson, why would your very first post on a website devoted to driving on racetracks be about what computer software to buy?

I CALL SHENANIGANS!!!
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 01-02-2010 at 11:22 AM.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Chris@Xtremespeed's Avatar
    Liked
    48 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Macs suck. They cost 3 times as much to start (5 times with bells and whistles), and are incredibly counter-intuitive. I'm sure Windows 7 is fine. I still use XP. No problems. Don't believe apple's TV ads. You don't believe other TV ads, do you?

BTW, Mike Devidson, why would your very first post on a website devoted to driving on racetracks be about what computer software to buy?

I CALL SHENANIGANS!!!
    That's not completely true there Sheriff. A comparably equiped mac is not that much more then a PC. Also, my Macs last 3 to 4 times longer then a PC's I've used. I use both and the PC's always start giving me problems after about a year of use. So, I use a Mac to run Windows and my mac OS. I have no worries about virius, I run both systems with no problems. My hardware is better and it only takes me 19 seconds form tuning the power on to being able to work.
    So yes, the mac is a little more up front but saves you down the line.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@Redline View Post
    That's not completely true there Sheriff.
    Everything I say here is "true." Respec mah authoritay!!

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    48 times

Everything I say here is "true." Respec mah authoritay!!
    I've stepped out of bonds it seems...
    Maybe you'll let me off with a warning then.

Post-College Racing Sloth hikickracing's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times

I can get a student edition of 7 for 30 bucks, but my testing software for school doesn't work with it. Great huh?
    Aztec Racing
    fsae.sdsu.edu

www.hikickracing.com

Liked
    1477 times

I've stepped out of bonds it seems...
    Maybe you'll let me off with a warning then.
    If I give you a Citation, buddy, you will know about it.

Liked
    2282 times

That's not completely true there Sheriff. A comparably equiped mac is not that much more then a PC. Also, my Macs last 3 to 4 times longer then a PC's I've used.
    since Mac now uses 99% of the same hardware as a PC. only difference between a Mac and PC is just the OS. many run Mac OS on their PC.

I myself run both XP and Linux. OS really matter less and less everyday. as many do their work online, browser, e-mail, PDF, Java programs, even office programs are now OS independent (Google Doc, OpenOffice). my kids doesn't even know if they are on Linux or XP (different box in my house has different OS), Firefox looks the same on either OS.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    142 times

If I give you a Citation, buddy, you will know about it.
    So when does the Knee-capping begin?

Liked
    48 times

since Mac now uses 99% of the same hardware as a PC. only difference between a Mac and PC is just the OS. many run Mac OS on their PC.

I myself run both XP and Linux. OS really matter less and less everyday. as many do their work online, browser, e-mail, PDF, Java programs, even office programs are now OS independent (Google Doc, OpenOffice). my kids doesn't even know if they are on Linux or XP (different box in my house has different OS), Firefox looks the same on either OS.
    It's more like about 50% of the components are universal for both machines. IBM supplies most of the hard drives these days and there are other things such as CD/DVD drives, screens, graphic cards and other components that you'll find in both Macs and PC, including processors. However, if you compare the Mac to comparably equipped PC's then the the PC's you're looking at costs about as much as the Mac. Mac's use better third party supplied equipment. If you're looking at the lower priced PC's then you won't find much in common with the mac as Apple doesn't produce products that compete in that segment of the market. The "cheap" PC's are not anything like the more expensive PC's. The more expensive PC's have better equipment from the processors to the hard drives, the screens are higher res. and so on. Everything is better. If you looking for a better computer, then you'll need to look at higher priced computers.

I also think your OS is just your preference these days too.
    Both Apple and PC brands all mostly run the same software, so it really depends on what you like. The "best" rated computers out there, and the most expensive and powerful ones happen to be non apple brands.

Liked
    2282 times

It's more like about 50% of the components are universal for both machines. IBM supplies most of the hard drives these days and there are other things such as CD/DVD drives, screens, graphic cards and other components that you'll find in both Macs and PC, including processors. However, if you compare the Mac to comparably equipped PC's then the the PC's you're looking at costs about as much as the Mac. Mac's use better third party supplied equipment. If you're looking at the lower priced PC's then you won't find much in common with the mac as Apple doesn't produce products that compete in that segment of the market. The "cheap" PC's are not anything like the more expensive PC's. The more expensive PC's have better equipment from the processors to the hard drives, the screens are higher res. and so on. Everything is better. If you looking for a better computer, then you'll need to look at higher priced computers.
    Chris, you are the TA king. but trust me, I am the Redline of high end PC

true, Mac is more like a high end PC. but they really are same hardware. many of my customers run Mac OS on their PC.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    48 times

Chris, you are the TA king. but trust me, I am the Redline of high end PC

true, Mac is more like a high end PC. but they really are same hardware. many of my customers run Mac OS on their PC.
    OK, I believe you. I know you can run OS's on anything you want. That's not what I was debating. I just wanted to let people know that if you're looking at computers, you should compare apples to apples if you know what I mean

Liked
    0 times

for the record, no one in my family has owned a mac that has run longer than my current pc of 5+ years

Liked
    142 times

I currently have a Mac and a PC, guess which one is working right now? I use my Mac for casual web browsing and the PC for anything serious. But I cant do anything serious right now because my PC has a case of the Syph [I didn't practice safe computing] and Norton is not working because of it. All the good data logger software is written for the PC so unless you are a photographer or a musician [use a Mac] a PC is probably the cheapest.

But enough of my thread hijacking, Win 7 vs XP get XP it is well sorted out by now. I would wait a few month before adopting Windows 7.

Liked
    2282 times

not related, but I bring Iphone to bathroom that says something about the future of OS.
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 01-03-2010 at 01:22 AM.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast