+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Will the nc (miata) ever be loved?

Liked
    16 times

Default Will the nc (miata) ever be loved?

I took my daily nc on the big track yesterday for the second time. After 2 sessions I headed to Visalia for a family gathering. On my way back home (had lots of time to think) I really started to question why the nc isn't more popular in the track world. I just can't figure it out. So much potential!

Any opinions on why it's still considered the red headed stepchild?
    0.o slow 1.6 likes this.
    99 miata-tein flex, RB sway bars
    streets cw 1:27.1
    Streets ccw 1:27.8
    Htm cw 1:01.8
    big willow 1:34.6
    Bw13 cw 2:00.8

2006 miata daily
    Big willow 1:35.08

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2159 times

Because it is the red headed step child in the Miata family.

Mazda didn't have the money to develop a ground up replacement for the NB. The NB was old in the tooth when it was replaced. They already had the well developed RX-8 chassis so they shortened it and made a Miata out of it. The lack of a clean sheet of paper
    design showed in the cars diluted and relatively numb driving experience compared to the NA/NB. First year sales were good but not great. Sales were flat after that with virtually all the cars being sold to non sportscar fans with automatics. The NC hung around much too long
    as again, Mazda was scraping pennies to build a replacement. Badasses that Mazda folks are, they stuck to their guns and gave us the ND which is every bit the ground up, bold, clean sheet of paper design Miata fans were begging for. The ND drives like the NA6 which is arguably the most "fun" Miata, albeit the slowest.

The NC is a good car. With the right mods, it is very good car. In no variant is it a great car however. Never touched my soul the way the NA, NB, C5, C6 and AP1 do.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    16 times

I somewhat agree with you, and that might be why I love it. It's just the right amount of miata and better "car" comparing it to the na/nb platform. Interior is much nicer, the 2.5 swap makes making power a breeze, but the lack of suspension options is heartbreaking.

2006 miata daily

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1780 times

It is because a good portion of the NC was conceived in Ford's accounting department.
    It becomes more evident as you start wrenching on it and stripping it down.

Liked
    1366 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    It is because a good portion of the NC was conceived in Ford's accounting department.
    It becomes more evident as you start wrenching on it and stripping it down.
    Example?

Liked
    1780 times

FoMoCo parts, like brakes for example.
    It's more of a parts bin car than any other Miata.
    Last edited by Blackbird; 04-17-2017 at 09:27 AM.

Liked
    662 times

FoMoCo parts, like brakes for example.
    Are the stock brakes on an NC that bad? Do people swap in RX-8 brakes?

Isn't the NC chassis stiffer than an NB2 and not weigh much more? Isn't much of the NA6's playfulness gone by the NB2 at least on the street?

I've only ever sat in an NC so I can't comment on how they drive. I've talked to people though who are pretty knowledgeable and have experience with all gen Miatas and they prefer the NC for a track car / race car. Obviously Moti and Emilio have tons of Miata knowledge / experience too, it's interesting to hear their thoughts as well.

I definitely agree with Emilio's assessment of the people who bought NCs, from my experience they're crotchety bunch.
    Last edited by Red_5; 04-17-2017 at 09:34 AM.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    1780 times

I didn't say it was bad, I said it was a parts bin car.
    This is one of the reasons the car is heavier.

Liked
    16 times

the nc is best of both worlds in my opinion. My nb felt like I was on the ragged edge. The nc felt solid

2006 miata daily

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2159 times

Quote Originally Posted by kornerz View Post
    the nc is best of both worlds in my opinion. My nb felt like I was on the ragged edge. The nc felt solid
    One was more responsive to input than the other.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    662 times

I didn't say it was bad, I said it was a parts bin car.
    This is one of the reasons the car is heavier.
    Is a comparably equipped NC that much heavier than an NB2? I know NC people like to point that out but I've never had an NB2 or NC to put on the scales and see for for sure.

As Kornerz mentioned, I like the 2.5 engine swap option on the NC along with the ability to tune the stock ECU. I have heard/read about the rear suspension on NCs doing funny toe out under braking making the car less stable. I'm not sure if anyone has figured out a fix.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    1780 times

FWIW, my biggest problem with the NC all along was the issue of fitting a proper roll bar with the Z folding top.
    I haven't really tried building something for the NC during the entire production run, but while I was working on the design of the ND RZ roll bar I realized that the design principals can be applied to the NC chassis as well and that lead to the development of the NC RZ roll bar.
    Let me just clarify for those who are not in the know that both the ND and NC chassis are extremely tricky to develop a roll bar that is soft top compatible, the stock hoops in both are junk and until we came up with the RZ bars there was no good roll bar option for the car for those who wish to keep their soft top (most people), so it wasn't very attractive as an option for track guys.
    Since we introduced the NC RZ and the availablility of the 2.5L swaps make the car a lot more appealing as an option.

Liked
    1366 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    Is a comparably equipped NC that much heavier than an NB2?
    About the same I thought. NB2 is a fatty it seems.

Liked
    52 times

I sure love mine! Between the wheel bearings, brakes, trans, and motor it can be a very sold reliable car. It does take some investment if you want to make it really fast. That said I am still happy with my choice every time I work on or drive the car.
    Red_5 likes this.

Liked
    492 times

The answer to the original question I think is yes, it already is - just not necessarily by the same people who love the NA/NB. It has different strengths and weaknesses than the earlier cars.
    Parts bin car? So was the BMW 1M.
    Shortened RX8? Lots of cross-compatibility in suspension and brakes for easy upgrades on the NC.
    Heavier? Most of the extra weight comes from street car stuff, so trimmed down to race spec the chassis is actually on-par with the NB.
    Bigger? Wider track width and more room for tires.
    Perhaps the one thing everyone can agree on... most people feel it makes for a much nicer street car than the earlier ones; it's roomier with a nicer interior quality, a bit more tech, drives more solid, etc. It's not just the street guys though, those cars are tearing it up in Conti Challenge, Pirelli World Challenge, etc.
    Now that NC prices are getting lower, more people are jumping ship from the NA/NB and moving on to NC, so a whole new generation of people are discovering the NC all over again. Obviously, at GWR we have a strong affinity for all of the Miata/MX5 generations, but I really think there's a bright future for the NC.
    Red_5 likes this.
    Ryan Passey
    Singulär Motorsports | Goodwin Racing

#13 1990 Miata
    "The sport dedicating to the spirits of time attacking motoring" -Emilio

Liked
    2141 times

Mazda hosted a media day when the ND racecar debuted and it had the NA 1.6, the NB2, NC and the ND, all in fully-caged race trim.

I was surprised how much I liked the NC. It was heavier, but with more power, you don't notice that. It felt great, and I really liked a racecar with power steering. I agree with the opinions above that it is the least-Miata Miata of all of them, but I'd consider owning one for the street or to race.

It's still got the requisite amount of zoom-zoom.

Liked
    7 times

Having driven every variant of the Miata in racecar form... I love my NC race car.
    Just feels a bit more serious car and it has loads of grip. The stock brakes are great, the power is descent, its very roomy and comfortable in the cockpit, and it is very quick given the relatively little power it has.
    Down the road I am thinking a possible 2.5 swap and some aero to jump up to STU.

Liked
    2 times

With half a tank of gas and 190 pound driver. Works out to a hair under 2400 pounds dry. Ignore off cross weights, as this was pre corner balance. Street car with floor mats, a/c, and race seats.
    Oem top is deleted, but the hard top is oem mazda with a heavy defroster rear glass. I initially bought this thing after selling a vette, because I was starting grad school and needed something cheap to run that would be reliable.
    I looked at the older chassis, but knew I wouldn't have a lot of free time and old cars always end up having little issues here and there. After a coupe of events I fell in love with this little thing. Easy to set up and is very forgiving.
    ucfbrett likes this.

Liked
    23 times

I am pretty sure it'll start getting more popular once the prices go down. As of right now, a NC with the bilstein and lsd package is priced similiar to an ap1. Only reason why i got a nc over a s2000 is the maintenance cost seems cheaper in the long run.
    Milkshake!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liked
    7 times

My car with me weighs 2530.
    That is with half a tank of fuel and me in the car.
    All sound deadening and interior out, 6 point cage.
    Unfortunately, I have to put over 200lbs of ballast in the car for my class.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast