+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Why Trackhq only buys Dodge for new HD Diesel trucks ?

Liked
    981 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Talk about poor white trash . . .
    Those contests are so lame, it's just about who has more grip/weight. Come and hook up your 2000 hp diesel pickup to my 120 hp tractor and lets see who wins...
    bellwilliam likes this.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1883 times

Ram mega cab here too.
    Biggest selling point for me was interior volume, no crew cab comes even close, some have close-ish length, but the ram is some inches wider. Not fractions, whole inches.
    Makes a big difference if you have two child seats in the back like I do, unlike any other truck you can still seat an adult in the back seat comfortably.

Liked
    2243 times

Truck buyers are still the most brand loyal consumers. That said, I don't think I could buy anything but a GM truck. If I were to buy a Ford or a Dodge and they broke, it would tick me off like someone else's children misbehaving. If my GM truck broke, it would be like my kids misbehaving. Meh, they're just kids.

Liked
    1486 times

I like to stir the pot. Actually, the big 3 diesels really are good. In the 70's we had the beginning of serious smog laws and cr@p cars to go with them. Diesels learning curve of max hp torque smog legal was way faster. Its like miatas, s2000s, and vettes. There is no perfect track car we are lucky to have choices.

Liked
    12 times

Love my 5.9 cummins, towed my 24' enclosed trailer from Edmonton to MRLS down the coast highway and still averaged 12mpg with a heavy foot and a 150hp+ tune
    FE3 NA - NB2 SM - 6262 AP1

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1883 times

My only problem with 5.9L Cummins is the noise. Hated that with my Ford 6.0L diesel too.
    The 6.7L is whisper quiet in comparison, so you can have a conversation without shouting and listen to music in normal volume.

Liked
    258 times

Just as a point of data... the LA fire is trading out is with the brand new 6.7 Fords.... and it's mostly about ideling them to much.

BID

Liked
    1486 times

Quote Originally Posted by bikeindirt View Post
    Just as a point of data... the LA fire is trading out is with the brand new 6.7 Fords.... and it's mostly about ideling them to much.

BID
    I'm not sure they will be that happy with the cummins. Smog laws mean DPF's, EGR recirculation, Cats, DEF except Rams. Its the EGR recirc that fouls motors that idle for long periods. This was never a diesel problem until the law required diesels to eat their own waste. The answer after long idles is to beat them a little hard on the freeway which helps to clean them up a bit or have a decoking routine as part of routine maintenance.

Sir flink
    Liked
    552 times

Well yeah, wtf is up with diesel pickup owners who leave the engine idling interminably? Is it because they see the big-rig guys doing that at truck stops? Turn the damn thing off already - it's smelly and noisy!
    ucfbrett likes this.

Liked
    2243 times

I used to live next door to a guy who would start his Ford diesel at 5:30 a.m. and let idle for 20 minutes before he'd leave for work — every day, winter or summer. I didn't have the heart to tell him that idling it when he comes home will benefit the truck more than idling it before he leaves.

Liked
    977 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    My only problem with 5.9L Cummins is the noise. Hated that with my Ford 6.0L diesel too.
    The 6.7L is whisper quiet in comparison, so you can have a conversation without shouting and listen to music in normal volume.
    The 6.7 is ridiculously quiet. Very impressed, although haven't towed with it yet. Get around 20mpg on the freeway and 16 bumming around the neighborhood.

Liked
    258 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    I'm not sure they will be that happy with the cummins. Smog laws mean DPF's, EGR recirculation, Cats, DEF except Rams. Its the EGR recirc that fouls motors that idle for long periods. This was never a diesel problem until the law required diesels to eat their own waste. The answer after long idles is to beat them a little hard on the freeway which helps to clean them up a bit or have a decoking routine as part of routine maintenance.
    Not 100% sure what the issue was... But they were replacing engines, at an silly rate... and it happened right away, if I remember correctly some were in the first month... It's been a while since they started with the Dodges, no complaints yet.

and this is a strange data point, FD trucks see a strange mix of environments,(anything from cold start hammer down, to cold start idle for 12 hours) and drivers that have no vested interest in the longevity of the trucks,,, again just a data point.

BID

Liked
    237 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    What title said. Just wondering why ? Dont GM and Ford have bigger HD diesel market ? Or are Trackhq'ers smarter than general public ? Is Brenda getting a commission from dodge ?

I don't recall a single Trackhq'ers bought a non-Dodge Diesel truck.
    Dodge Trucks....turning ordinary Americans into auto mechanics since 1968.

bawareca and dc2696 like this.

Liked
    977 times

Liked
    704 times

A Nissan could be this Trackhq-er's next truck. The 2016 Titan XD with 5.0 Cummins V8 Diesel. It's supposed to be a half step between 1500s and 2500 trucks. It might be just right.

2016 Nissan Titan XD Photos and Info – News – Car and Driver

2016 Nissan Titan XD arrives with diesel V8 power
    Last edited by Red_5; 01-12-2015 at 08:13 PM.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2