+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Why Trackhq only buys Dodge for new HD Diesel trucks ?

Liked
    2282 times

Default Why Trackhq only buys Dodge for new HD Diesel trucks ?

What title said. Just wondering why ? Dont GM and Ford have bigger HD diesel market ? Or are Trackhq'ers smarter than general public ? Is Brenda getting a commission from dodge ?

I don't recall a single Trackhq'ers bought a non-Dodge Diesel truck.
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 01-09-2015 at 09:47 PM.
    passmenow likes this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2391 times

Smarter than general public.

I bought my 07 2500 Cummins after driving BID's very similar 04 2500 Hemi. I had driven many GM and Fords 2500/3500's over the years. Good but the Dodge just seem to do everything better. That still seems to be the case.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    977 times

I looked and drove them all. The Ram has the best interior (IMO, kind of amazing compared to prior versions) and the Cummins seems like a pretty solid engine. The GMC was my next favorite, also really nice. It seemed to shift more smoothly than the Ram too.

Liked
    1486 times

Ram has real truck motor. 6.7L cummins diesel used everywhere. huge fleet presence. Huge work truck presence. Can get parts anywhere. First rebuild cycle 300,000 miles! The rest of the chassis as good as the motor. Only Megacab with reclining rear seats. What an amazing tool.

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    What an amazing tool.
    Are we certain they are talking about the truck?
    Force McCocken likes this.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    345 times

2011 Ford F450 here with the 6.7L motor. I wouldn't trade this truck for anything. The only trailer it even felt like there was some effort with it was my 13' high stacker when fully loaded and even then it was not really working. My 48' gooseneck with 2 cars and tons of gear was hardly noticeable even going up the Grapevine. Call me stupid but I would buy another in a heart beat. I think all of the current generation diesels are just damn good at this point.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Liked
    977 times

Carl I also have the megacab. Wish it still had some kind of storage in the back, but the room is incredible. Apparently can put a twin mattress in there!

And I agree Mark, this round of diesels are all incredible. I have almost 18k towing capacity in a 2500 that is like a BMW inside. Its awesome.

Liked
    258 times

When I was first looking I pulled up the rebuild tolerances on the 3 motors... It's hilarious. Buy a Dodge.

funny story...About the time I got my first 2500 Dodge, my brother got a 250 Ford... He's LA fire, and was a huge Ford fan, . It was my first full sized truck, and my brother has been driving them at work for years. We actually got into a pretty heated debate that year at Thanksgiving..."agreed to disagree"

This year, LA fire is ditching brand new Fords and replacing them with Dodge, (the new powerstroke is that bad). My brother is amazed at how much better the Dodges are... so hard to hold back the "told you so"

BID
    bellwilliam likes this.

Liked
    641 times

Yeah,Cummins is one hell of an engine.

Liked
    26 times

Love my 2500Hd
    http://touringcarclub.net/

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    345 times

The 2008-2010 Ford 6.4L was a TOTAL POS. Run and hide from anything with this motor IMO. Ford basically bought mine back and funded my current 6.7L. No way could I afford this truck without that discount as these things are stupid expensive. The 6.7L motor is a night and day difference over the 6.4L in every way. That being said I think the current crop of diesels are caught up in a hp/tq race. Looking back at the 'legendary' Ford 7.3L that everyone loves keep in mind it was rated at only 225 hp. We are near over twice that number these days across the board with less displacement. I doubt any of the current generation high output diesels are going to go the same distance as the older ones. Higher output, low sulphur diesel fuel, emissions controls, and finicky fuel systems all eat into the longevity of these motors. At the end of the day it is the supporting systems of the motor that will cost you - high pressure fuel pump, dpf, cats, turbos, etc. I am not a fan of extended warranties but this is one item where I think it is worthwhile. An engine replacement on my 6.4 (never needed it TG) was estimated at 17.5k!
    bawareca likes this.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2391 times

+1 on extended warranties. Buy the longest, most comprensive warranty you can find if you get any diesel. They are damned expensive on the rare occasions they do break or wear something out.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    641 times

Quote Originally Posted by markn View Post
    The 2008-2010 Ford 6.4L was a TOTAL POS. Run and hide from anything with this motor IMO. Ford basically bought mine back and funded my current 6.7L. No way could I afford this truck without that discount as these things are stupid expensive. The 6.7L motor is a night and day difference over the 6.4L in every way. That being said I think the current crop of diesels are caught up in a hp/tq race. Looking back at the 'legendary' Ford 7.3L that everyone loves keep in mind it was rated at only 225 hp. We are near over twice that number these days across the board with less displacement. I doubt any of the current generation high output diesels are going to go the same distance as the older ones. Higher output, low sulphur diesel fuel, emissions controls, and finicky fuel systems all eat into the longevity of these motors. At the end of the day it is the supporting systems of the motor that will cost you - high pressure fuel pump, dpf, cats, turbos, etc. I am not a fan of extended warranties but this is one item where I think it is worthwhile. An engine replacement on my 6.4 (never needed it TG) was estimated at 17.5k!
    The long blocks of the diesels are pretty stout and usually last forever.Something really stupid has to happen to destroy one.There are crazy tuners in Europe and street diesels with 100hp/l and more is not uncommon.There is a guy in Germany with 450hp/600+tq daily driver twin turbo 6 cyl 3 l diesel.The problem comes from the complicated electronics,fuel injectors and emission systems.With $800-1000 a pop for injectors+labor no one wants to foot this repair bill.Just as any other modern car it is not recommend to own it out of warranty,except some special circumstances.

likes to left foot brake. passmenow's Avatar
    Liked
    80 times

Seems like a good place for info.
    Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

I don't race in the rain or tow in the snow.
    http://youtu.be/gDb_MENTSE0
    74 911 RSR+.
    88 Imsa Camaro.
    93 Imsa Camaro.

Liked
    977 times

The Ford F650 and F750 use the 6.7 Cummins rather than their own Powerstroke. I think that says it all for serious towing use!

The Ram 3500 has the Aisin transmission as an option now which is supposed to be a little more durable.

Liked
    1486 times

I think this video says it all...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7Ftcg1pqwc
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    545 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    The Ford F650 and F750 use the 6.7 Cummins rather than their own Powerstroke. I think that says it all for serious towing use!
    I think that's actually because those types of trucks tend to go to buyers that also have larger trucks and they prefer the commonality.

But me, I want the Cummins with the Allison transmission fitted into a Ford.

Steve

Liked
    641 times

About who.......

Liked
    981 times

Quote Originally Posted by markn View Post
    I think all of the current generation diesels are just damn good at this point.
    This. The Fords had engine issues when they went to the 6.0 powerstroke, but lately seem to be back in the game. We've had less issues with our duramax trucks than our cummins trucks over the past 10 years. But overall, both have been very reliable. We've owned them all and used them like they're meant to be used (farming/construction/towing). I liked my megacab cummins, but now have a 2013 chevy 1 ton which I wanted mainly for it's smaller size and daily driving comfort. These new heavy duty pickups are literally commercial duty trucks with a gcvwr of 11,500 lbs and tow rating of 23,000 lbs. And the new transmissions make a huge difference.

Last edited by redtopz; 01-10-2015 at 12:34 PM.
    hakeem, ELO168 and bawareca like this.

Liked
    1477 times

Talk about poor white trash . . .
    bawareca likes this.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast