+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Why today's car business sucks . . .

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Chris@Xtremespeed's Avatar
    Liked
    48 times

I do have to say I like the tech that goes into new cars these days. As a father of one kid driving, and another soon to get on California roads I'm all for the safety and most of the government regulation that help make cars safer. I know that adds weight and most newer cars lack true driving pleasure. With that said, I also see the younger generation not even knowing what a 6-speed is. We are probably 5% or less of the market so I can understand why all these manufactures give the American public what they want, no matter what they want. Never underestimate the bad taste of the American public.

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by J. Tyler View Post
    "Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider than that." - George Carlin

Did I hear someone mention my name...?
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    97 times

What do kids even like these days?

Liked
    366 times

Quote Originally Posted by pucsicsal View Post
    What do kids even like these days?
    Las Vegas, Techno, and Diablo 3 apparently.
    DutchOven likes this.
    Do you understand?

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@Xtremespeed View Post
    Never underestimate the bad taste of the American public.
    It was P.T. Barnum who said: "No man ever lost money underestimating the intelligence of the American people."
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    744 times

The manufacturers DO know what the people want, they just don't pander to us often because we are the exception to the majority, there isn't enough money in it.

The added "technology" that makes them 'safer' also make them heavier, isolated, and more like transportation capsules. I agree with that.

Personally, I HATE buying a new car. It is probably my least favorite thing to do. I hate the dealer BS, the games, the dishonest financing. I hate the financial loss in the first year, I hate the pre-packaged, branded "experience". I buy used. I haven't bought a new car since '03 and that was only because there was a car I liked that the dealers couldn't unload (EP3- 02-05 Civic Si hatch).

Everytime I am interested in buying new, my wife kindly reminds me of how that process makes me irritable and I happily go back to looking at used cars and their specs.
    robburgoon likes this.

Liked
    97 times

^^^ I agree, but my last car I bought as a 3 year old CPO, with some factor warranty remaining as well. If you buy a Bimmer, buy it like that for sure. Don't buy new. Also side benefit, Bimmer dealers are great for chatting with Milfs while you wait!

Liked
    70 times

It's funny when I talk to some friends of mine who are part of that other "95%"; they ask me why I do the things I do and why I would want a crummy little 4-banger Honda convertible. I'll try to get my point across to them and they'll respond with something along the lines of: "that's cool", or "oh I like that sporty toyota camry V6 better" without the slightest hint of discerning.

There are some things that I strongly resent:

-Lexus' auto parallel park
    -Self braking cruise control
    -Lane wandering warnings where your car will alarm you if you're drifing into another lane
    -Traction control that doesn't turn off completely when you want it to (i.e. Mercedes)
    -Blind spot detectors? seriously?
    -Volvo's self stopping for pedestrian bull****

All these new electronic nannies are a testament to how people are becoming increasingly unskilled as drivers and dependence on the aforementioned requires much less driving engagement.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider than that." - George Carlin

/thread
    Like that cop in the Lexus ES350 that killed his family in a fiery crash when the gas pedal got stuck without knowing that shifting to neutral would have prevented such an incident?

Although Toyota responded by implementing an electronic bandaid that automatically disengages the throttle input whenever the brake is applied, you can't fix stupid.
    Last edited by DutchOven; 06-05-2012 at 03:03 PM.
    -Kevin M.

2010 Subaru WRX

Liked
    744 times

The pedestrian crash saftey regulations make me want to punch babies and slap their mothers. I blame that on most cars looking like they do.

Coolest feature on my Miata? Pop up headlights. ****. Yeah.
    robburgoon and pucsicsal like this.

Liked
    1477 times

The last new car I bought was my 2006 Evo IX MR. I kinda got screwed on that deal because I was upside down on the lease for the 2004 B6 S4 that I traded in on the Evo, so they added that to the loan balance. I took a really long term loan on the Evo that I just finished paying off a couple of months ago. Since buying the new Evo, I have bought used the following cars: 1994 Miata, 1996 Corvette, 2003 S2000, 1992 NSX, and I inherited a 2002 Jaguar Vanden Plas. All the used cars were great except the C4, which was a piece of crap.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    855 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    IMHO, the entire automobile industry is in the toilet today with heavy, soft, ugly, useless luxury doo-dad, phony paddle-shifting slushbox, fwd, drives itself by hitting the brakes/traction control and going into limp mode if you so much as take a hard turn, 187 airbag, green hybrid electric $h!t that passes for automotive technology over the past 6 years or so since cars hit their absolute best in the middle of the last decade. In retropsect, 1991 - 2006 will be considered the golden years of the car business.

Discuss amongst yourselves . . .
    Richard almost sounds like a young (motorhead) Bob Dylan, "for the times they are a-changin".

As the present now
    Will later be past
    The order is rapidly fadiní

Liked
    165 times

Quote Originally Posted by DutchOven View Post
    Like that cop in the Lexus ES350 that killed his family in a fiery crash when the gas pedal got stuck without knowing that shifting to neutral would have prevented such an incident?

Although Toyota responded by implementing an electronic bandaid that automatically disengages the throttle input whenever the brake is applied, you can't fix stupid.
    Yep.

Having grown up riding motorcycles, racing karts, and generally goofing off with motorized toys, it boggles my mind when people are oblivious to the basics of how a car works. Next time you are out to dinner, I bet you could stand up in the middle of the restaurant and take a poll - "How many people know how an internal combustion engine works?"

I bet *maybe* 25% would be able to describe an engine correctly.

Liked
    114 times

Yep.

Having grown up riding motorcycles, racing karts, and generally goofing off with motorized toys, it boggles my mind when people are oblivious to the basics of how a car works. Next time you are out to dinner, I bet you could stand up in the middle of the restaurant and take a poll - "How many people know how an internal combustion engine works?"

I bet *maybe* 25% would be able to describe an engine correctly.

Off topic... Animated Engines - Wankel Something about wankle makes me LOL.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3