+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Why today's car business sucks . . .

4 doors 2 seats
    Liked
    149 times

while there is truth in the op the average consumers buying habits are what got us here.

Liked
    41 times

Unfortunately, most of the car buying public is interested in a reliable appliance that gets them from point A to B with high mpg and minimal effort. I recently watched a Cadillac commercial that summarized this. A guy is backing his car out of a parking space in traffic, and couldn't be bothered with looking for on coming cars. The car brakes for him, narrowly avoiding an accident. People are so distracted now that they feel the need for these nannies to do everything for them. It is a sad statement in itself.

Furthermore, when Honda shows an F1 race car and then likens this race car to a Accord and Civic, we have a case of trumped up marketing, passing off economy cars as sports cars. Point being, sports cars by and large do not sell, relative to econoboxes. While there will always (I hope) be a place for sports cars, the philosophy of win on Sunday, sell on Monday is all but dead.

Liked
    744 times

you're all going to love this. surveys have shown a rising trend where the younger part of the millennial generation and the generation after that (sometimes called "digital from birth") don't aspire to owning an automobile.

Liked
    114 times

^ that is because the majority of them are bums, and aren't willing to commit to a job. So they don't want to commit to a automobile purchase because it would mean they can no longer be hipsters...

Liked
    2243 times

Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    you're all going to love this. surveys have shown a rising trend where the younger part of the millennial generation and the generation after that (sometimes called "digital from birth") don't aspire to owning an automobile.
    Fine. More for us.

Liked
    744 times

unfortunately, the size of the millennials and DFB generations are larger than gen x and the fading boomers.

manufacturers are clamoring for their dollars, which means most vehicles aren't intended for us.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
    while there is truth in the op the average consumers buying habits are what got us here.
    The American car industry, in particular, just shoves whatever it thinks consumers want down their throats, and that appears to be hybrid pick-up trucks, which is an oxymoron.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by LagunaBlueS2k View Post
    Unfortunately, most of the car buying public is interested in a reliable appliance that gets them from point A to B with high mpg and minimal effort.
    I guess men are getting gheyer. It used to be that it was only women that considered a car an appliance.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by LagunaBlueS2k View Post
    While there will always (I hope) be a place for sports cars
    But will it just be $185,000 Porsches and $300,000 Ferraris?

Liked
    1486 times

Our beloved government has a lot to do with the cr@p that passes for cars today. I actually think we are very lucky to be able to buy a ZR-1 in 2012. I'm surprised the fun police haven't taken away those freedoms. CAFE rules and other such malarky give us hybrid suv's and trucks and those lovely pre-i. Thank God we can still buy diesel trucks and bullets to hunt and 100octane gas for our racecars.
    Olitho likes this.

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    ^^^ Video games don't promote the car business. They promote the video game business.
    As a gamer, I disagree. The new trend is going to be product placement in video games. It's not different than any other medium. If it is any different than other mediums, i.e. cinema and television, it is that video games are a more effective marketing tool because potential customers will be interacting with the product.

At any rate, I would have absolutely zero interest in cars if it was not for Gran Turismo. The product, performance driving, was indoctrinated into me when I first played it as a kid in ~1996.
    Last edited by SDSUsnowboards; 06-04-2012 at 11:16 PM.
    pucsicsal likes this.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    103 times

i like my 2010 car, sorry you dont richard. i think you half right, their's still some cars out there worth the drive IMHO

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    I think also adding to the demise of the automobile is the student debt load of the millennials puts pressure in purchasing their first car and first house. This in turn will also cause cars to become more of an appliance.
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE 2.7L 6AT (w/Convience Package + Preferred Package)
    2000 Ford Fucus ZX3 5MT (I want my MPG! American Style.)
    1994 Toyota Supra 5MT (SZ-R Project Status: Retired, 2012 Speed Ventures Time Trial CC9 Champion)

Liked
    1477 times

Those of you that don't believe me just wait 5-10 years. You will be paying a special tax to drive your gas powered sports car, and $20 per gal for gas.

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Those of you that don't believe me just wait 5-10 years. You will be paying a special tax to drive your gas powered sports car, and $20 per gal for gas.
    We better vote for the liberals if we want to stop the special sports car taxes and $20/gallon gasoline.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    1477 times

^^^I'm a bleeding heart liberal and I love sports cars. I leave it to you to figure out which one matters more to me. I don't see a conflict.

Liked
    70 times

My love for cars in general actually started from playing one of the older gran turismos.
    -Kevin M.

2010 Subaru WRX

Liked
    464 times

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
    +1.
    I’ve had a chance to talk to some of the higher up's at Nissan. I was telling them. "You need to bring out some more cars that got you where you are today". The 510 (A bare sedan with good performance and handling) and the 240Z (Sleek low cost Sports car). What I was told is. That doesn't sell. What is selling in their cars are the fully loaded 4 door, power everything with techno doohickey’s.

But then it's kind of like when GM hired Pete Brock. A young designer fresh out of collage in the 60's. Then asked to come up with what he thought the younger generation would like. He brought them a small sedan. They laughed, and told him. That would never sell in the US.

Sure it was the Gas crunch and the smog laws that helped to kill the over loaded, over powered, under braked, heavy metal cars we so loved in the late 60s and early 70s. But if GM would have put a little more thought, and developed a small car. They would have had a foot in the door. Instead of trying to play catch up.

Liked
    165 times

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider than that." - George Carlin

/thread

Liked
    464 times

Oh, and 85% of the people that buy cars don't know how to drive them anyways. You can see this just by standing on any street, street corner or freeway.
    In fact, from what I've seen, what they teach student drivers is not how to drive. But more how not to get into a collision or tickets.

Just look at what happens now that cars come with good brakes. Most new cars have much better brakes now then in the 70s and 80s. So what happens? People stop waaaaaay too early. Having to get off the bakes and let the car move a little more again and again and sometimes again, and still have 2 and 3 car langths between them and the car in front of them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast