+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 53
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Why today's car business sucks . . .

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,979
    Liked
    1477 times

    Default Why today's car business sucks . . .

    IMHO, the entire automobile industry is in the toilet today with heavy, soft, ugly, useless luxury doo-dad, phony paddle-shifting slushbox, fwd, drives itself by hitting the brakes/traction control and going into limp mode if you so much as take a hard turn, 187 airbag, green hybrid electric $h!t that passes for automotive technology over the past 6 years or so since cars hit their absolute best in the middle of the last decade. In retropsect, 1991 - 2006 will be considered the golden years of the car business.

    Discuss amongst yourselves . . .
    Neocataboi likes this.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

    2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

  2. #2
    Administrator ucfbrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ventura, Calif.
    Posts
    5,449
    Liked
    2243 times

    Default

    I'm blaming millennials.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Neocataboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Pomona
    Posts
    360
    Liked
    114 times

    Default

    ^ i honestly agree. I hate the majority of kids my age, i've grown up around kids who would care less about what motor, or what platform the car is based from.

    I've always been the guys who cares about what is underneath, all they want is a car that "looks" fast, that can fit huge wheels, and have connectivity to their phone for music. They want all of this crappy stuff that i have always though Nope to. Which is why Scion has been so amazingly successful. Personally i hate Scion as a brand and everything it stands for, because it just empowers and caters to this generation.

    I want cars to go back to the simple clean and non bloated roots. Like Richard mentioned 91- 2006 were the hay day, as those were the cars that i still find appealing, because though they were starting to get all of these nannies, they were still relatively simple and had the best compromise of styling and safety. The belt lines were still low, and it didn't yet take 19in wheels for the car to look proportionate.

    I've always been the "car" guy and have been criticized by my peers as caring too much about the things that dont matter, they want to be "driving down the highway leaning back with their foot out the window while hollerin' at the ladies, because that is what driving should be about..." ( i've been told this numerous times and i cant understand this at all.

    But i agree, Brent (LOL, seems to be a tradition ). the millennial ruined cars as we know them.

  4. #4
    Administrator ucfbrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ventura, Calif.
    Posts
    5,449
    Liked
    2243 times

    Default

    I think this is where I'm supposed to say, "Who's Brent?"

  5. #5
    Senior Member robburgoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,853
    Liked
    1429 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    I think this is where I'm supposed to say, "Who's Brent?"
    Smashed car, site down, still no respect.

    I wonder where godzilla Brent is...

    Richard, I disagree. So long as the cars let you yank fuses and such and some sports cars have stick, everything will be fine.

  6. #6
    Senior Member pucsicsal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    597
    Liked
    97 times

    Default

    At least we still have video games.. (um, hear me out before you ban me lol..) -->

    As much as I am not a gamer, and never was, I think it's good that Gran Turismo and Forza and other car games are so popular today, (car games are as popular as ever). It means that the new generation still care about fast cars, exotics and racing. Good handling and DIY car projects might not be as accessible in as it was in the past, but I think there will always be a market for good-handling simple cars like the FR-S, Miata, 370z, and the smart companies will make continue to find ways to make them.

    I don't think car guys will go away anytime soon, but I think there will have to be a renaissance of "back to the basics" sooner or later when car companies realize how much the used car market makes up of performance car sales and the potential that is there for them in new cars. E.g., FR-S...

    I once put the argument forth to a very smart car person, and mentioned that "today's drivers don't have as much passion for their cars as drivers of the past did." Or something like that. He replied with "people are less passionate because today's cars will almost ALWAYS start, you don't need to fiddle with them in the cold, and they hardly ever break down. There's less NEED to be passionate. Interesting..
    robburgoon likes this.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,979
    Liked
    1477 times

    Default

    ^^^ Video games don't promote the car business. They promote the video game business.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

    2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

  8. #8
    Senior Member Neocataboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Pomona
    Posts
    360
    Liked
    114 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pucsicsal View Post
    At least we still have video games.. (um, hear me out before you ban me lol..) -->

    As much as I am not a gamer, and never was, I think it's good that Gran Turismo and Forza and other car games are so popular today, (car games are as popular as ever). It means that the new generation still care about fast cars, exotics and racing. Good handling and DIY car projects might not be as accessible in as it was in the past, but I think there will always be a market for good-handling simple cars like the FR-S, Miata, 370z, and the smart companies will make continue to find ways to make them.

    I don't think car guys will go away anytime soon, but I think there will have to be a renaissance of "back to the basics" sooner or later when car companies realize how much the used car market makes up of performance car sales and the potential that is there for them in new cars. E.g., FR-S...

    I once put the argument forth to a very smart car person, and mentioned that "today's drivers don't have as much passion for their cars as drivers of the past did." Or something like that. He replied with "people are less passionate because today's cars will almost ALWAYS start, you don't need to fiddle with them in the cold, and they hardly ever break down. There's less NEED to be passionate. Interesting..
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    ^^^ Video games don't promote the car business. They promote the video game business.
    And, to add to Richards statement, Most of the Gran turismo kids, add power and expect to make the car go faster. On top of that, these video games do nothing for real life sports cars, because they only know," Ferraris and Porches go fast. Miatas are still slow, even when i give it 400 HP".

    or i hear this all time time, " Manny why do you always say miatas handle great? they suck in both forza and Gran Turismo, they are soooo slow..." -_-, i dont think this helps the real life cars in anyway.

  9. #9
    Senior Member pucsicsal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    597
    Liked
    97 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neocataboi View Post
    And, to add to Richards statement, Most of the Gran turismo kids, add power and expect to make the car go faster. On top of that, these video games do nothing for real life sports cars, because they only know," Ferraris and Porches go fast. Miatas are still slow, even when i give it 400 HP".

    or i hear this all time time, " Manny why do you always say miatas handle great? they suck in both forza and Gran Turismo, they are soooo slow..." -_-, i dont think this helps the real life cars in anyway.
    Good point, but not true. I'm sticking to what I said... I think the first time these kids drive a real car besides their hand-me-down Corolla or SUV, they'll fall in love and won't be able to go back again. Even my mom, who doesn't like stick, drove my NB and said "it's like an extension of my body" and "I wish I had a Miata when I lived in LA"... (this was when i first bought it and it was bone stock and user-friendly, no harness etc. lol)
    Last edited by pucsicsal; 06-04-2012 at 02:23 PM.

  10. #10
    The Real Captain Slow Red_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    4,188
    Liked
    704 times

    Default

    Richard, one of the best all new affordable cars in recent history was released last week and you just keep harping on how it's underpowered. The only car that will make you happy at this point is a street legal FM.
    hakeem likes this.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

  11. #11
    Captain Planet tq3z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    OC CA
    Posts
    1,668
    Liked
    366 times

    Default

    The age of fun is over gentlemen. Prepare for quick, convenient, and easy bull$hittery around every corner.
    Do you understand?

  12. #12
    dirty smack talker hakeem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,076
    Liked
    977 times

    Default

    1993 was the best year for sports cars. It's been downhill since then.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,979
    Liked
    1477 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    Richard, one of the best all new affordable cars in recent history was released last week and you just keep harping on how it's underpowered. The only car that will make you happy at this point is a street legal FM.
    BRZ/FRS is the exception that proves the rule, the same way that the Corvette Z06 is the exception that proves the rule that all American cars are crap.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

    2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,979
    Liked
    1477 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    1993 was the best year for sports cars. It's been downhill since then.
    Can't agree with that. The C6 Z06 came out in 2005, I believe. Evo VIII finally came to USA in 2003. Honda stopped building NSX in 2005. You are just stuck on one car, the FD. I like it a lot but have never owned or driven one. But it's not the only car in the world.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

    2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,979
    Liked
    1477 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tq3z View Post
    The age of fun is over gentlemen. Prepare for quick, convenient, and easy bull$hittery around every corner.
    Repeating from a prior thread, I fell in love with the early to mid-60s Jaguar XKE when I was about 7 years old. What car is there for young kids to lust after now? I guess there will always be supercars like Ferrari 458 Italia, but what 2013 maintream car is a dream car? (Not that an XKE was a "minstream" car in its time.)
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

    2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

  16. #16
    The Real Captain Slow Red_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    4,188
    Liked
    704 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    BRZ/FRS is the exception that proves the rule,
    what rule is that? No matter how hard you try to make something good people will complain?
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,979
    Liked
    1477 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    what rule is that? No matter how hard you try to make something good people will complain?
    This rule: "the entire automobile industry is in the toilet today with heavy, soft, ugly, useless luxury doo-dad, phony paddle-shifting slushbox, fwd, drives itself by hitting the brakes/traction control and going into limp mode if you so much as take a hard turn, 187 airbag, green hybrid electric $h!t that passes for automotive technology over the past 6 years or so since cars hit their absolute best in the middle of the last decade."
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

    2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

  18. #18
    Senior Member Neocataboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Pomona
    Posts
    360
    Liked
    114 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Repeating from a prior thread, I fell in love with the early to mid-60s Jaguar XKE when I was about 7 years old. What car is there for young kids to lust after now? I guess there will always be supercars like Ferrari 458 Italia, but what 2013 maintream car is a dream car? (Not that an XKE was a "minstream" car in its time.)
    Chevrolet Code 130R Concept - 2012 Detroit Auto Show - Motor Trend

    This is what My generation lusts for....

    "The concept drives its matte gold 20-inch wheels through a six-speed automatic or manual and Chevrolet thinks it could get 40 mpg on the highway"

    Nowadays, i honestly think kids would swoon over the Camaros, Mustangs, and 370zs.

  19. #19
    Senior Member pucsicsal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    597
    Liked
    97 times

    Default

    ^^^ Ewww.. But at least they got the RWD part right.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Gian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ventura
    Posts
    1,200
    Liked
    464 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    I think this is where I'm supposed to say, "Who's Brent?"
    He's the guy that drives the fwd Mustang! Don't you guys follow anything?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts