+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 166
Like Tree150Likes

Thread: Why shouldn't I buy an RX-7 race car?

  1. #141
    Senior Member slodrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, Ca.
    Posts
    230
    Liked
    73 times

    Default

    it was all a dream.. in the real world rich, old, corvette driving, posers always give a big warm welcome to sarcastic, $1800 crown vic driving, first-timers that get around the track faster than them.. thought they wouldn't?

    PS: my real name is Ernie and I'm really from Sesame Street

  2. #142
    Senior Member Gian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ventura
    Posts
    1,200
    Liked
    464 times

    Default

    Well that figures. Ernie's got a BIG imagination. Just didn't know he had such a quick temper and dick attitude. I guess that's what happens when you hang out in Sesame streets to long. Just look at Elmo.
    Last edited by Gian; 06-25-2014 at 11:12 AM.
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

  3. #143
    Administrator ucfbrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ventura, Calif.
    Posts
    5,449
    Liked
    2243 times

    Default

    And the thread takes another weird, and oddly homoerotic, turn.

    Signed,

    Brent (the original misnomer)

  4. #144
    Senior Member slodrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, Ca.
    Posts
    230
    Liked
    73 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gian View Post
    Well that figures. Ernie's got a BIG imagination. Just didn't know he had such a quick temper and dick attitude. I guess that's what happens when you hang out in Sesame streets to long. Just look at Elmo.
    I'm actually quite humble when I'm not dealing with people that are judgmental, pretentious, and exceedingly arrogant. My quick temper and dick attitude are defensive mechanisms.. I'm not known for throwing the first stone.

  5. #145
    dirty smack talker hakeem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,076
    Liked
    977 times

    Default

    Although I agree with most of your assessment of Corvette drivers, I can't imagine even the worst of drivers having much trouble dispatching a Crown Vic. No offense of course.
    Olitho and Red_5 like this.

  6. #146
    Chest hair required Olitho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,088
    Liked
    2165 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slodrew View Post
    ...old, corvette driving, posers....

    Did someone page me...?
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

  7. #147
    Administrator ucfbrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ventura, Calif.
    Posts
    5,449
    Liked
    2243 times

    Default

    You know this whole problem could be solved with a Miata with a roll bar and a big radiator.

  8. #148
    Senior Member Gian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ventura
    Posts
    1,200
    Liked
    464 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slodrew View Post
    I'm actually quite humble when I'm not dealing with people that are judgmental, pretentious, and exceedingly arrogant. My quick temper and dick attitude are defensive mechanisms.. I'm not known for throwing the first stone.
    This is a true statement.
    All I did was make an observation about using a Vic as a track car after you tried to force you love of the Vic on us. Then you got offensive and started tell me how fast you "could" be.
    Even now your still doing the same thing.
    But this is a nice introduction. Now everyone knows your screen name and your love of the Vic.
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

  9. #149
    Senior Member slodrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, Ca.
    Posts
    230
    Liked
    73 times

    Default

    I drive the crown vic because I don't have a lot of money, I'm not making **** in this economy, and it's the fastest, most durable car I could get for $1800 lol.. at least you didn't deny that the crown vic interceptors have better suspensions than the mustangs and are only slightly heavier.. that being the case I'm curious why they are so quickly dismissed as being worthy track cars? Having a good time is what it's really about anyway, right? Is there any other car that can be bought for under $5k and driven straight to the track, driven hard, and it wont overheat or become dangerous from brake fade or any other number of things?

  10. #150
    Chest hair required Olitho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,088
    Liked
    2165 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slodrew View Post
    I drive the crown vic because I don't have a lot of money, I'm not making **** in this economy, and it's the fastest, most durable car I could get for $1800 lol.. at least you didn't deny that the crown vic interceptors have better suspensions than the mustangs and are only slightly heavier.. that being the case I'm curious why they are so quickly dismissed as being worthy track cars? Having a good time is what it's really about anyway, right? Is there any other car that can be bought for under $5k and driven straight to the track, driven hard, and it wont overheat or become dangerous from brake fade or any other number of things?

    You are right. We should tell Bartholomew to rename this site CrownVicHQ.com.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

  11. #151
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    535
    Liked
    188 times

    Default

    The answer is always Miata.
    ucfbrett likes this.

  12. #152
    Speed Ventures agershon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    439
    Liked
    115 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Schmoe Money View Post
    The answer is always Crown Vic.
    FTFY

    The other acceptable answer is Crown Royal.
    Schmoe Money likes this.

  13. #153
    Senior Member slodrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, Ca.
    Posts
    230
    Liked
    73 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    Although I agree with most of your assessment of Corvette drivers, I can't imagine even the worst of drivers having much trouble dispatching a Crown Vic. No offense of course.
    none taken.. I know that if I were in pretty much any of the cars I see on the track I would be able to at least keep up with even the very best driver if that best driver was driving my car.. if it had 50 hp more it would be a different story.. but yes, my second track day I passed a couple late model corvettes.. a red convertible with a tan top that was ignoring the blue flags and had a train of cars behind him and a silver car that I'm pretty sure is the car Kailo used for the lead/follow instructor/beginner laps and was then riding in as an instructor during the 2nd session, and that I believe, is when I got around them but they may have actually just pitted and switched seats.. my first day on the track really made me feel like superman.. there was an Audi Cabriolet, a Cayman, a Camaro LT1 (I believe), and a guy in a GTR in my group, as well as a few others, and for the last 2 laps of the first session I couldn't see any of them in my mirrors. The second session the track was hot and I didn't even think about warming up the tires before pushing it. I went off in turn 3 of the first lap and 2 laps later went off coming out of 9. After doing a stop and go in the pits so they could check my tires I got back going and was passed by a late model mustang (if I remember right) and the guy in the Audi for sure passed me but he didn't get out of my sight.. and for the last 5 or 6 laps the guy in the GTR was pretty much on my ass in the straights but I was faster in the corners and I don't think he had the confidence to run in front with no one to follow.

  14. #154
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,979
    Liked
    1477 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    You know this whole problem could be solved with a Miata with a roll bar and a big radiator.
    Brendon -

    You know this whole problem could be solved if you would just BAN slodrew . . .
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

    2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

  15. #155
    Senior Member bellwilliam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    La Verne, California, United States
    Posts
    7,645
    Liked
    2283 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slodrew View Post
    and for the last 5 or 6 laps the guy in the GTR was pretty much on my ass in the straights but I was faster in the corners and I don't think he had the confidence to run in front with no one to follow.
    Did he come up behind you. Though he was faster on the straight. You pulled away in the corner. He then catches you again on the straight, back and forth ? Those expensive GTR sure can put power down
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

  16. #156
    AROSC Comp. Director Slaysman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Posts
    301
    Liked
    226 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slodrew View Post
    at least you didn't deny that the crown vic interceptors have better suspensions than the mustangs and are only slightly heavier
    Slightly heavier is like 600 to 800 lbs, at least. That could be 20% to 25% heavier. That's a lot more weight to stop and start, and to pull around corners. There are also a lot of aftermarket suspension systems for the Mustangs. The most Crown Vics I have seen racing have been art Lemons races. Enjoy it for what it is, then if you get pretty good at the track, work on finding a cheap, light track car.

    Quote Originally Posted by slodrew View Post
    Is there any other car that can be bought for under $5k and driven straight to the track, driven hard, and it wont overheat or become dangerous from brake fade or any other number of things?
    Yes. I have seen Miatas and RX7s go pretty cheap, and in good track form. They can get you down around 1:40 at Big Willow with some work and good tires.
    Terry Watson
    AROSC Competition Director

  17. #157
    Chest hair required Olitho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,088
    Liked
    2165 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slaysman View Post
    Yes. I have seen Miatas and RX7s go pretty cheap, and in good track form. They can get you down around 1:40 at Big Willow with some work and good tires.

    I bought an $800 Miata with race seats and harnesses. It runs fine, but it needs some work to be track worthy like a better cage and new tires and probably more I have not discovered. Any gander you guys as to what it will turn at WSIR?
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

  18. #158
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Rolling Hills Estates
    Posts
    2,950
    Liked
    855 times

    Default

    Wild guess: 1:44, more or less.

  19. #159
    Senior Member robburgoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,853
    Liked
    1429 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    I bought an $800 Miata with race seats and harnesses. It runs fine, but it needs some work to be track worthy like a better cage and new tires and probably more I have not discovered. Any gander you guys as to what it will turn at WSIR?
    The answer to that question is pretty much entirely determined by tires.

  20. #160
    AROSC Comp. Director Slaysman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Posts
    301
    Liked
    226 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    I bought an $800 Miata with race seats and harnesses. It runs fine, but it needs some work to be track worthy like a better cage and new tires and probably more I have not discovered. Any gander you guys as to what it will turn at WSIR?
    Faster than a Crown Vic for sure.
    Terry Watson
    AROSC Competition Director

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts