+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree150Likes

Thread: Why shouldn't I buy an RX-7 race car?

Liked
    977 times

Keeping a 2rotor side port motor quiet is the easy part

Liked
    2243 times

^^ Keeping it together is another thing altogether.

Liked
    73 times

ok, here it is. Not that any of you really care but, ya know, whatever.. after running at WSIR yesterday I'm still convinced that one of you guys could get into the low 1:40's with my car as it sits, if not better, and if I forked out the cash for some wider rims and some stickier rubber it could do some pretty respectable times.. That said, whatever, fuggit! My best recorded lap of the day was 1:49.03 but it was really hot and.. (I got a long list of excuses) I was being a wuss through turns 8 and 9..

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by slodrew View Post
    ok, here it is. Not that any of you really care but, ya know, whatever.. after running at WSIR yesterday I'm still convinced that one of you guys could get into the low 1:40's with my car as it sits, if not better, and if I forked out the cash for some wider rims and some stickier rubber it could do some pretty respectable times.. That said, whatever, fuggit! My best recorded lap of the day was 1:49.03 but it was really hot and.. (I got a long list of excuses) I was being a wuss through turns 8 and 9..
    Maybe a couple of us need to take it out for some laps....
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    73 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    That would be great! It would be nice to get some feed back on how I've got the car set up from somebody that knows what they're talking about. I'll be there again this Sunday!

Liked
    855 times

Bring the chalk board for a WSIR version of lap times in the "reasonably priced sedan"!
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 06-19-2014 at 05:14 PM.

Liked
    1429 times

Your data is way out of sync. Maybe the beep is supposed to be at zero on the countdowns?

There's a chance I might be there Sunday, but depends on weather and whether I can find my lost RX8 key...

Liked
    464 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    It seats 5 or 6. We should go as a group and all give our input together. Kind of a Instruction Party wagon.

But really really. Turn one, two and 3 were ok. But the rest... ummm need a little help. But that a hell of a beginning. Power to the VIC....
    Last edited by Gian; 06-19-2014 at 06:26 PM.
    ucfbrett and Loose Caboose like this.
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Liked
    226 times

I was being a wuss through turns 8 and 9..
    You were really pinching off the exit of 6. Maybe because you were about to be passed on the outside? Your line in 9 is ugly. You need to hang out on the edge of the entrance to 9, then work your way in late. You'll get more speed into the front straight.
    Terry Watson
    AROSC Competition Director

Liked
    1477 times

Pretty much the worst lines I have ever seen on my home track. DUDE, please look up Jack Olsen's tutorial on WSIR big track, which is available for free here . . .
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    73 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Pretty much the worst lines I have ever seen on my home track. DUDE, please look up Jack Olsen's tutorial on WSIR big track, which is available for free here . . .
    lol thanks! I realize I have a lot of room for improvement and I've watched it many times I just need to keep reminding myself to apply it.. I didn't post this video because I thought I was driving good, I posted it because I think the car has more potential then some people may realize and because I want to learn how to drive it at closer to it's potential.. would you be willing to take me around the track a few times in it? it is your home track after all..

Liked
    7 times

Good point. I raced remote control touring cars and spent $5,000 in one year to be competitive. I raced TAG Go Karts and spent $22,000 in one season and I didn't even do much testing. No form of racing is inexpensive except maybe paper airplane racing.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    The price of an "inexpensive" race car is barely incidental to the total costs of a full season of club racing. If you are sweating the price of the race car, DON'T DO IT.

Liked
    73 times

Quote Originally Posted by Slaysman View Post
    You were really pinching off the exit of 6. Maybe because you were about to be passed on the outside? Your line in 9 is ugly. You need to hang out on the edge of the entrance to 9, then work your way in late. You'll get more speed into the front straight.
    yeah I botched 5 and pretty much the rest of the lap from there.. I knew the guy was behind me and planned to let him by and then I saw the corner worker pointing that blue flag and I got a little tense lol.. I had a bad start on the day.. showed up without enough gas to run in the first session and the pump at the track wasn't working so I had to drive back into town to fuel up. Then the second lap of the second session I went off on the exit of turn 1 and had to have 2 tires dismounted to clean all the rocks out, so the second session was lost as well.. I pushed it in turn 1 again and got it right more than I have any of my previous track days and I eventually calmed down enough to think about Jack Olsen's instructions for turn 9 a little bit and got that right a few times as well.. I think Harry's lap timer has a function that takes your best time from each section to calculate a theoretical best lap but I haven't figured out how to do it yet.. Here's another lap. I tend to do a little better in traffic..
    Last edited by slodrew; 06-20-2014 at 12:40 AM.

Liked
    73 times

Quote Originally Posted by Ryneen View Post
    Good point. I raced remote control touring cars and spent $5,000 in one year to be competitive. I raced TAG Go Karts and spent $22,000 in one season and I didn't even do much testing. No form of racing is inexpensive except maybe paper airplane racing.
    oh ok.. I didn't realize there was a threshold of how much you have to spend to be a cool guy at the track. I guess that's why I get the cold shoulder at the track by a lot of the guys even or especially when I'm passing guys in cars that they paid 50 times more for than I paid for mine lol! I feel like I win sometimes even when I'm getting passed by guys if I make it a lot harder for them than they think it should be.. here is the video from the first time I was ever on a track.. you don't see the guy in the Nissan GTR or any of the other guys that were in the yellow group that started behind me because none of them caught up to me..

Liked
    73 times

Quote Originally Posted by Gian View Post
    It seats 5 or 6. We should go as a group and all give our input together. Kind of a Instruction Party wagon.

But really really. Turn one, two and 3 were ok. But the rest... ummm need a little help. But that a hell of a beginning. Powr to the VIC....
    the Bondurant instructor cars only seated 4 but I'd be surprised to find 4 real racer guys that aren't too f'n cool to ride in my car anyway lol

Liked
    73 times

This guy was actually very cool.. he was one of the few people that actually talked to me at the track that day. He said it was his 3rd track day too.. Did he spend enough money to be in the cool guy crowd? He didn't have any problems finding someone to get in his car and give him some instruction..

Liked
    464 times

We used to do "wagon" sessions when I first started instructing. In fact when a friend of mine was doing the Jim Russell school at Sonoma. They had a 15 passenger van they would take all the students in. There was two of us that they let hitch a ride so we could get some pictures at on of the corner stations. But we were told not to let the instructor know we were racers, or he wouldn't take us on track.
    So there we were sitting behind the rear axle in this long van, and the guy starts hauling ass. We are in the back cracking up, laughing our asses off. He turns to us and sez.. "so what kind of racing do you do". I ask how he knew? He said "Cause most people **** their pants when I do that.. lol. He was cool and took us for a full lap, showing us the line before he dropped us off.
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Liked
    73 times

the car was loose they're engineered to have a few hundred pounds of gear in the trunk.. it seems like it turned better with less caster too. I think I'm going to put the caster back to stock and lighter springs or smaller sway bar in the back.. a TKO 600 would be nice too but that will have to wait lol

Liked
    855 times

. . .the second lap of the second session I went off on the exit of turn 1 and had to have 2 tires dismounted to clean all the rocks out . . .
    First time out, turn 1 off . . . very impressive attachments!

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1885 times

...especially when I'm passing guys in cars that they paid 50 times more for than I paid for mine lol! I feel like I win sometimes even when I'm getting passed by guys if I make it a lot harder for them than they think it should be..
    Passing anything in beginner group is as meaningless as it gets.
    And winning in HPDE?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast