+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree150Likes

Thread: Why shouldn't I buy an RX-7 race car?

Liked
    115 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    ^^Very accurate description of club racing.
    Which is why I'm not so worried about class. I probably won't do any SCCA/NASA racing at first.

So is club racing dying? Where are the racers going?

Liked
    704 times

Quote Originally Posted by agershon View Post
    Which is why I'm not so worried about class. I probably won't do any SCCA/NASA racing at first.

So is club racing dying? Where are the racers going?
    It's been said here many times, there are too many club racing classes. The numbers are spread too thin.

I don't think club racing is dying, people come and people go. I'm on my way out for now but intend to continue hpde/TT/MC. Personal interests and family responsibilities change so that's why some start racing while others stop.

I really think SPM is a great way to at least get started racing. The fast guys will help you get faster both in setup and as a driver. Tires are cheap and last. No special engines are necessary to be competitive. The downside, if you want to call it that, is that the fast guys are really fast but at least there are slow guys too along with racers in the middle.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    115 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    It's been said here many times, there are too many club racing classes. The numbers are spread too thin.

I don't think club racing is dying, people come and people go. I'm on my way out for now but intend to continue hpde/TT/MC. Personal interests and family responsibilities change so that's why some start racing while others stop.

I really think SPM is a great way to at least get started racing. The fast guys will help you get faster both in setup and as a driver. Tires are cheap and last. No special engines are necessary to be competitive. The downside, if you want to call it that, is that the fast guys are really fast but at least there are slow guys too along with racers in the middle.
    There are a boatload of classes, so that makes sense.

The RX-7 is literally a fraction the cost of a SM or SPM. I just can't swing it right now. Perhaps I can dip in on a couple ITS/PTE races, but I'll def start getting some w2w experience with Alfa Club races and even Speed Ventures is planning an open w2w class at a couple upcoming events.

Then once I have a license and win the lottery I can pick a car/class and go dominate club racing.

Liked
    2283 times

you can buy a mid pack SM for ~$9k or a competitive SPM for $9k-$16k (one has fancier seat, harness, fire system, fancier gauges than the other, but both are equally competitive).
    if you think the extra $3k upfront cost is too much, then w2w is not for you that's like 1-2 weekend worth of racing in Miata, or 1 day of racing a Vette or just showing up with a GT3........
    bawareca, JJ1 and Force McCocken like this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    115 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    you can buy a mid pack SM for ~$9k or a competitive SPM for $9k-$16k (one has fancier seat, harness, fire system, fancier gauges than the other, but both are equally competitive).
    if you think the extra $3k upfront cost is too much, then w2w is not for you that's like 1-2 weekend worth of racing in Miata, or 1 day of racing a Vette or just showing up with a GT3........
    Not that it matters but the price difference is more than that, in this particular case. But your point is well-taken. Truth is the more I learn about NASA/SCCA the less interested I am in the near-term.

Liked
    1429 times

Not that it matters but the price difference is more than that, in this particular case. But your point is well-taken. Truth is the more I learn about NASA/SCCA the less interested I am in the near-term.
    Avoid Cal Club

Our local SCCA region isn't doing Spec Miata any favors in socal.

Liked
    73 times

You could go to one of the auctions and buy a decommissioned P71 Crown Vic Police Interceptor and come out and race me lol. I paid $1800 for my 2007 that has 140k miles on it and still runs pretty good. I haven't done much to it and I consistently ran under 1:50 at big willow on May 7th of this year. I know that's not terribly fast but I think it's respectable considering it was only the third time I've been on a track, I've never had any instruction, and I'm still working on getting the car dialed in. The record at big willow for Spec RX-7 is 1:42.293 and I think that under the right conditions my car could beat that.

Liked
    464 times

Quote Originally Posted by slodrew View Post
    You could go to one of the auctions and buy a decommissioned P71 Crown Vic Police Interceptor and come out and race me lol. I paid $1800 for my 2007 that has 140k miles on it and still runs pretty good. I haven't done much to it and I consistently ran under 1:50 at big willow on May 7th of this year. I know that's not terribly fast but I think it's respectable considering it was only the third time I've been on a track, I've never had any instruction, and I'm still working on getting the car dialed in. The record at big willow for Spec RX-7 is 1:42.293 and I think that under the right conditions my car could beat that.
    Perhaps you should read the OP. Vic's can be fun. But the cost of consumables, race legal cage and that it isn't a competitive car. Kind of blows it out. Though thaey are fun, Not something to get your feet into racing.
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Liked
    1477 times

The price of an "inexpensive" race car is barely incidental to the total costs of a full season of club racing. If you are sweating the price of the race car, DON'T DO IT.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    115 times

You could go to one of the auctions and buy a decommissioned P71 Crown Vic Police Interceptor
    How cool would it be to create a series for decommission cop cars ... We could call it Spec CHiPs.

Outside of that, I have no interest in racing a bloated cruiser. No offense, Slodrew. I have since purchased the RX-7 in question and had it out for a day at Streets, which was glorious. Can't wait to get out there again. Hopefully BRP in late June.

And @Sheriff no matter how many times I read that advice, whether it's directed at me or others, I never tire of it No offense, of course.

How about Spec Fuzz?

Liked
    977 times

A fine decision. Welcome to the club!

Liked
    1477 times

How cool would it be to create a series for decommission cop cars ... We could call it Spec CHiPs.

Outside of that, I have no interest in racing a bloated cruiser. No offense, Slodrew. I have since purchased the RX-7 in question and had it out for a day at Streets, which was glorious. Can't wait to get out there again. Hopefully BRP in late June.

And @Sheriff no matter how many times I read that advice, whether it's directed at me or others, I never tire of it No offense, of course.

How about Spec Fuzz?
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    115 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    A fine decision. Welcome to the club!
    Thanks! Some great info from yourself as well as Gian and Prof. Chaos. Much appreciate the hand-holding. Here's a shot from my first day with the new ride:

rx-7-track-pic-1.jpg
    hakeem and Gian like this.

Liked
    73 times

Quote Originally Posted by Gian View Post
    Perhaps you should read the OP. Vic's can be fun. But the cost of consumables, race legal cage and that it isn't a competitive car. Kind of blows it out. Though thaey are fun, Not something to get your feet into racing.
    lol ok.. Maybe you're underestimating the crown vic? Maybe I'm delusional? I don't know but it's comments like yours that make me all the more determined to get back on the track. Just out of curiosity, what kind of lap times do you turn at WSIR big track in your first gen RX-7 track car? Is your car faster than a spec RX-7? I'll bet mine is. I'll be driving it 185 miles to WSIR on June 18th, for Open Track Racing's track day event and I'll have four 255/35/20 NT05's in the trunk lol.. And as far as consumables goes? I'll probably be upgrading the front brake pads and whatever rubber I leave on the track that day plus whatever gas I burn will make up my consumables..

Liked
    115 times

lol ok.. Maybe you're underestimating the crown vic? Maybe I'm delusional? I don't know but it's comments like yours that make me all the more determined to get back on the track. Just out of curiosity, what kind of lap times do you turn at WSIR big track in your first gen RX-7 track car? Is your car faster than a spec RX-7? I'll bet mine is. I'll be driving it 185 miles to WSIR on June 18th, for Open Track Racing's track day event and I'll have four 255/35/20 NT05's in the trunk lol.. And as far as consumables goes? I'll probably be upgrading the front brake pads and whatever rubber I leave on the track that day plus whatever gas I burn will make up my consumables..
    More power to you, Drew. This is America, where you're free to have a chip on your shoulder, drive a V8, and try to prove everyone wrong. Whatever motivates you to go faster, use it.

But there's a fine line between being determined and being headstrong and foolish. Be respectful to the guys on here who have been racing for years and know more than you do. They will help you, and you will get faster ... faster.

Have fun at WSIR, and post up a thread after your day to let us know how the ol' Vic performs.
    bellwilliam and Gian like this.

Liked
    2243 times

Add an automatic transmission to the list of consumables.

Liked
    2283 times

Answer to everything is Miata
    Red_5 and Blackbird like this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    366 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    Answer to everything is S2gay
    Fixed that for you.
    JJ1 likes this.
    Do you understand?

Liked
    2243 times

#becauseMiata

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1885 times

lol ok.. Maybe you're underestimating the crown vic? Maybe I'm delusional?
    I'll go with delusional, lol... in last year's Miata Challenge, even street class Miatas on street tires run 1:38s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast