+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Who do you have to blame for this addiction?

Liked
    807 times

I was doomed from birth.

Dad was an engineer and rally driver from Detroit. Mom was from San Diego, only girl of eight kids, she often drove her brothers' street rods at the drag races because of her size and tenacity. Growing up in Detroit, EVERYTHING is about cars. Your extended family all have jobs in the industry, your friends' families all have jobs in the industry. Fixing your own car isn't about being thrift or handy, it's a right of passage. My dad worked for Ford a few years during my formative years, including with the in-house SVO group. No car in our family was unmodified.

Dad drove rally in the 70s and 80s, I remember bouncing around in the family station wagon or van he used to haul his gear on the way to POR or 1k Lakes. I was really the only offspring to really take it up, though my older sister had the skill. We always attended the Detroit Grand Prix (and hydroplane races).

I tried my hand at rally after a few serious injuries kept me from playing hockey. I had a really bad shunt early on that spooked me and gave me an aversion to sliding around on mud and ice surfaces lined with trees. Dad, always even and steady, connected me with a close friend of his that gave me a chance to continue on with road racing, which I preferred in the long run.

I took some time off during college, but started back up when I had time and a little more money. This sport introduced me to my wife and most of my closest friends.
    Loose Caboose likes this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    6 times

My dad.

He took me to the Trenton 250 (yes there was once an oval in Trenton New Jersey!) in 1964. I was just twelve years old as we sat in the stands and watched Offie roadsters circle the track at 180mph. After the race we went down to the pit lane and all the drivers (good old boys in those days) were just hanging out and BSing. John Mcelreath picked me up and put me in the drivers seat of his Offie!. AJ was there along with Parnelli, Mario, Fireball Roberts and almost all the names from the 60's. I still have the program from the race.

So in 1974 I went to Jim Russel school at St Jovite, graduated and went back for two days of lapping. In 75 I bought a G Prod Spitfire and got my novice license with EMRA. Ran GP for five years then built a 1974 Honda Civic for sedan racing (also with EMRA). Won two class championships back to back in 80 and 81. Ran the Civic through 1986. Took a sabbatical thinking I was done. But the bug didn't go away and in 95 I was just passing by Pocono and stopped in to see if anything was happening and there was an SCCA regional event going on. Went home and bought a Formula 500 (a KBS/Quadrini car was powered by a 440 at the time). Up graded to a Rotax 500 and won a regional championship in 1998. Sold the 500 in 99 and bought a DSR, a Diasio D962. Won the NARRC championship in DSR in 2001 and 2002 and went to the SCCA runoff's at Mid Ohio. Qualified 27th out of 32 starters and finished 15th. Would run it in SCCA Nationals for the next two years and go to the runoff's each year. Ran the Diasio until 2004 and sold it. I bought an OMS DSR from England in kit form in November of 2004 and built it over the winter. Ran the OMS for the first time in July of 2005 at the Watkins Glen National. Made it to the 2005 runoffs and finished 17th. Sold the OMS in 2010 after winning the NARRC DSR championship in 2008 and finishing 2nd in the championship in 2010. In November of 2010 I bought a Shannon S2000. Subsequently ran it in the SCCA until 2013, winning the Northeast Major in S2000 (the last S2000 champion, as they eliminated S2000 as a class for 2014). I still compete in the S2000 in vintage racing and recently bought a Honda Fit to build into a B Spec for racing with the SCCA.

I should mention that I have also been involved as both a Trustee to the Board of the NNJR and was the past Regional Executive of the NNJR from 2009 to 2015. I was also the Chairman of the National racing committee for the Northeast Division of the SCCA and have been for the past two years the Chairman of the SCCA Northeast Divisional Racing Series (see our facebook page here:https://www.facebook.com/eftcombustne/).
    Red_5 likes this.

Liked
    1720 times

Quote Originally Posted by chrisracer View Post

……I should mention….
    Nice Creds! Keep posting. You can bring lots of knowledge in many subjects around racing.

Liked
    42 times

Who? Internet videos and Japanese magazines.
    How? Needed something better than an autocross, so I went to a drift event in the parking lot of Vegas Speedway. Got hooked, so I went to a drift event at Buttonwillow... which turned out to be my introduction to fast track driving and I like that even more than drifting.
    Vehicle? My 240SX.

Then life happened. With rent and expenses being what they are, I find it difficult to make room in the budget to finish the safety revamp of the car. Hopefully I make up my mind about selling some of my "collection" and use that money to get back out on track by the end of this year, if not earlier.
    Steve C.
    1992 Nissan 240SX
    Sub-2200lbs, stock with bolt-ons, Blackbird cage
    1998 BMW M3/4/5 Bostongrun/Modena 62k miles

Liked
    16 times

Don't know where to blame. None of my family races, but it all started for me with my first bicycle.

Liked
    115 times

The motorsports gene was passed down from my uncle who drove rally in the 70s and 80s. He got me into dirt bikes as a kid and taught me everything I know about cars (which, admittedly, isn't a ton).

I had never considered going to the track until a friend (who will remain nameless for reasons to be explained shortly) invited me to a Speed Ventures event at ACS. "It'll be fun," he said. "I have a group discount," he said. That was Nov of 2008. I was driving a leased Mazdaspeed 3 and had a blast.

That unnamed friend? He totalled his car at SMMR shortly after. And I didn't do another event until 2013 for fear of balling up my daily driver.

At some point, ETK and I decided it was time to get back on the track, so I bought an NA Miata and started going monthly.

"HPDE is fun," we said. "Someday we should do W2W," we said. Someday turned into, like, now, and I began SPM in March of 2015. ETK is busy hanging out with the VARA crowd, but we'll get him straightened out soon.

I love people's reaction when I tell them I race cars. "You do WHAT? Like with other cars on the track at the SAME TIME?" Damn right, people. And it's awesome.

Liked
    121 times

Quote Originally Posted by agershon View Post
    The motorsports gene was passed down from my uncle who drove rally in the 70s and 80s. He got me into dirt bikes as a kid and taught me everything I know about cars (which, admittedly, isn't a ton).

I had never considered going to the track until a friend (who will remain nameless for reasons to be explained shortly) invited me to a Speed Ventures event at ACS. "It'll be fun," he said. "I have a group discount," he said. That was Nov of 2008. I was driving a leased Mazdaspeed 3 and had a blast.

That unnamed friend? He totalled his car at SMMR shortly after. And I didn't do another event until 2013 for fear of balling up my daily driver.

At some point, ETK and I decided it was time to get back on the track, so I bought an NA Miata and started going monthly.

"HPDE is fun," we said. "Someday we should do W2W," we said. Someday turned into, like, now, and I began SPM in March of 2015. ETK is busy hanging out with the VARA crowd, but we'll get him straightened out soon.

I love people's reaction when I tell them I race cars. "You do WHAT? Like with other cars on the track at the SAME TIME?" Damn right, people. And it's awesome.
    I feel safer on the track for the most part then I do in my daily commute. When the moon is full Darwin is working his hardest!
    ucfbrett likes this.

Liked
    66 times

My Great Grandpa- 1916 Iowa State Champion (Ford).

KJSCV likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2