+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Who do you have to blame for this addiction?

Liked
    450 times

Default Who do you have to blame for this addiction?

Let's hear your stories of who you have to blame for bring you into this hobby/sport that tends to take over your life.

Who? (Coworker? Parents? Yourself? Neighbor?, car club?)
    How? (ride along?, lunch conversation?, force?, grow up around it?)
    Vehicle? (miata?, corvette?, karting?)
    Pictures?
    -Anthony
    1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
    2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 650LT - commuter

Liked
    381 times

Mustafa, who is Silversprint on these forums.

F*ck that guy, but I love him. And thank you for getting me into it. <3
    SDSUsnowboards likes this.
    Do you understand?

Liked
    450 times

Hi, my name is Anthony and I have a track problem. "Hi Anthony"

I blame it all on a coworker of mine that tracked his Z06 Vette. I had a V6 mustang at the time and had done a hand full of autocross events, but basically knew nothing about working on cars or performance driving. We started talking about tracking cars pretty much everyday at lunch and he finally convinced me I needed to buy a track car and go to the events with him. The only car I could afford was a miata so I bought it and was at my first event within 2 weeks (Speed Ventures @ ACS). The rest was history.
    Now most of my life decisions are based on something to do with the track whether it's 2nd/3rd car (towing, spare parts), housing (garage, trailer access, parking, proximity to tracks), or even my job.

162910_818975504425_1983051_n.jpg
    Red_5 and granth like this.
    -Anthony
    1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
    2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 650LT - commuter

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    817 times

My issue began around winter, 1996, when my parents bought me Gran Turismo for the PlayStation. It was then that I became addicted to using walls and other vehicles as a turning aid...

But, seriously, I became addicted to the process of taking an ordinary car and upgrading it to improved performance levels. I live for each modification. In a way, the driving itself was just a vehicle to measure the effectiveness of each upgrade, and the race track became merely a venue where I could drive safely and lawfully. I am also competitive by nature, and validating my talent is always fulfilling, and finding people faster than me is exciting, because it gives me a concrete goal to reach.

I fell in love with the driving part of the equation a good deal of time later, after I became reasonably competent at it, but that wasn't until my late 20's. I'm 32 now.

I find that many of my life decisions are based around my ability to drive and modify.

2001 Toyota MR-S Spyder "Missus Spyder"
    I've had the car since 2007, when I was ~23. Each and every girl friend has sat in its passenger seat, and it's been present for most of my most important achievements. I will one day murder this car, which saddens me..
    Last edited by SDSUsnowboards; 03-17-2016 at 10:37 PM.
    robburgoon likes this.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    764 times

I'm not sure who I blame that got me headed in the track day / race direction. My dad is a car guy but never did anything like this, just really appreciates cars.

In spring of '07 I bought a '99 Miata as a fun third car, I didn't even know track days existed. I joined a Miata forum and found the track driving section which is where I found out about Speed Ventures and Alfa Club. My first track day was almost with Alfa Club but they cancelled their event. I has having a seat and harness installed by a Porsche shop so they mentioned POC. September of '08 in 110 degrees of heat I did my first track day ever and it was with POC. I met UCFBrett that day too, parked next to the only other Miata at the event. He was all about racing which I never thought I'd do but a few months later I had plans for developing my car for NASA PTE. By June of '09 my too nice to be a race car Miata was under the knife getting its first cage. I recently sold that car which became a SPM. Not sure when I'll buy/build another car or what it will be but that doesn't stop me from thinking about it.

99miata1sttrackday.jpg
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    26 times

It all started for me when I was messing around on a racing simulator they had just set up at my work (I work in animation.) The guy doing the set-up on it saw me driving and talked me into buying a PC sim racing rig and running in an rFactor racing league he was in.

Turns out the guy was a 5-time Rotax Max regional champion. He started coaching me, and eventually put me in his Rotax kart on the track and I was hooked for life.

Liked
    2356 times

I blame my mom, since she gave birth to me.

My affliction was always there, ever since I can remember. It started with Hot Wheels, doing burnouts with the riding lawnmower in the driveway, and me begging my dad to let me buy a 1966 Ford Galaxie 500 with a 390 and a four speed when I was 14. I didn't get that one, but cars have been the one constant in my life, and I have never tired of them.

Once I had a license, I started drag racing muscle cars as a teenager and into my early 20s. When I went back to college at age 25, I sold my muscle car and bought something that got good mileage for commuting to school, but I went through two motorcycles at the time: a 1990 Kawasaki Zephyr 550, and then a 1986 GSX-R750. That was my cheap speed fix at the time. My wife also made the mistake of buying me a day at Jim Hall's kart racing school. That set the hook really deep.

After our second child was born, I sold the bike, moved to Florida to go to grad school and bought a Miata. I started auto crossing it, joined Mazdaspeed and began inching toward racing. When we moved back to California, I joined NASA and started in HPDE and did some Porsche Owner's Club events, where I met Red_5, who told me about a website called TrackHQ.com.

I got my competition license in 2012, wrecked a car in my rookie season, sat out 2013 and returned with an identical 1995 in 2014. It's still together and serving me well. Through this hobby I have met some of the most interesting people I can think of. Racing has made me a better person, and it has me looking after my health much more rigorously so I can continue to do it.

Then, my first Miatas at Mazda Raceway event:
    _dsc5113.jpg

Now, from last weekend at Willow Springs:
    now.jpg

Liked
    23 times

It's all my wife's fault. I did lots and lots of autocrossing from 1998 (maybe 99?) and slowed down big time once my first kid was born in 2010. Sold the race car since it was barely being used. I then needed a cheap 3rd car for when one of the daily drivers was down, and when I brought up a miata as an option my wife was all over it. I actually wanted one of those cool awd civic wagons. She never liked autocross, but somehow we entered a track day day with the miata and we were both hooked. I still miss autocross though, mainly for the competition. Hopefully I can get into time trial one of these days.
    '09 rx8 sport

Liked
    80 times

Who?

William (bellwilliam)

How?

William was a customer of mine back in 09. I told him I had a Lotus Esprit...he told me he would instruct me if I go to the track...so my very 1st track day was in the Lotus. I was so scared, and I thought I would wreck the car in the 1st session...I drove very slow, but I got a ride in William's Miata...oh wow...I didn't know cars could be handled like that...

I then bought a 08 STI. Once again, William instructed me for my very 1st track day in the STI (2012), he told me those cars break all the time & are expensive to repair...I didn't listen to him...then I blew the STI motor 4 months later...

While the STI was getting an engine rebuild...I bought a Miata from William & never look back...

Vehicle?

Miata

Pictures?

405832_10150598361073241_1754376764_n.jpg
    Last edited by e5pr1t; 03-17-2016 at 02:22 PM.
    bawareca likes this.
    2017 Dodge Charger Daytona 392 - Daily
    2017 Ram 2500 4X4 Cummins - Tow Truck
    2017 Shelby GT350 - Track Car / Weekend Cruiser
    1999 SuperMiata Super - W2W Race Car

Liked
    1720 times

I blame oli!

imag1105.jpg
    bellwilliam likes this.

Liked
    887 times

My son made me do it . . . and I have been grateful ever after.
    ucfbrett likes this.

Liked
    89 times

My Stepfather...

My stepfather is Roger Bursch of Bursch Exhaust for Porsches...

First time I want to the track I was 5 and was hooked from that day on... When I was sixish I got to ride around the track in Bob Kirby's Carrera Speedster holding the checkered flag at Riverside, It was so cool, you'd think I'd won the race myself...lol Still have a picture somewhere

Spent years as a track rat as he raced his Porsche then later built the 911 Alan Johnson would win the USRRC with in 67. When I was nine I got to go to the 12 hours of Sebring where Alan and Bob Kirby finished 6th in overall and first in class beating the factory Porsches.

He never sanctioned my racing in fact even tried to temper me during my teen years but I still blame him, Ha... Despite being forbidden from racing the car on a track I still found ways to feed my growing addiction.

Quick story, In Socal there used to be a racetrack called 605 speedway in Irwindale, small oval track maybe a 1/3 mile at best (basically right across the freeway from where Irwindale Speedway stands today)... when I was 18 I had a Datsun 510 with Datsun Comp suspension, triple S head and twin SU carbs, headers and roll bar... they ran a race there one Saturday night along with the usual stock car stuff that made a Roval out of the big track and the smaller oval inside the big one... It was a mixed bag of sporstcars like MGs and Fiats, a couple RX3s, a BMW and other assorted econo boxes like mine, mostly from a local slalom club I belonged to at the time...

It was my first real race, I finished second in the trophy dash then in the main event was leading until I learned what "tires going off" meant.. my poor little 185 70 13 Yokohama's gave up the ghost, they were shredded (what did I know about shaving tires?) I spun coming off the big oval and backed the car over a 6 inch tall curb that separated the big track and the smaller inner track... Ripped off my exhaust system, BRE front spoiler and bent a wheel... So I limped the car home back to Pasadena via surface streets got home well after midnight, car making all sorts of noise and snuck into the house. Nobody woke up so I thought I was in the clear...

Next morning Roger asks me to go get donuts with him. "let's take your car" he says... after stammering out a lame excuse for why we can't take my car he looks at me and says, "you never race on brand new tires they'll just come a part, I could see the chunks flying off and you were doing so good, oh and you're grounded for the next 3 weekends" He had actually gone and watched the race, not sure how he got wind of it, he'd never tell but he also backed off on the forbidding me to race, gave me keys to the shop so I could wrench on the car at nights... Been doing car stuff ever since
    Last edited by KJSCV; 03-17-2016 at 08:24 PM.

Liked
    2356 times

^^ OK, now THAT's a great story.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    401 times

Everybody else. It is not my fault. Seriously though I find track enthusiasts some of the best people to hang with. I don't think there is a better group of people to be found anywhere. So you all are to blame.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Liked
    150 times

I blame the internet.

I bought an S2000 back in 2003. Logged on to s2ki.com to look for things to do to the car. I discovered you can take your car to the track for $100. That was way cheaper than the speeding tickets I was getting.
    Last edited by Silversprint; 03-18-2016 at 11:13 AM.
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

Liked
    158 times

I honestly don't know, but I'm sure my mother out of defiance is listed among the blame-worthy, mostly though I need to blame Jay Lamm.

I had a love for cars since I was little. When I came of driving age, my mother outright forbid me to because she was over protective, as a result I did not get my first car until I was 18 and I had to buy it for myself. It was a FWD POS GM Sh*tbox but it was mine, as were all the speeding tickets I racked up in it.

A few years later, having saved some money from working I bought a 1992 Turbo Supra because I wanted boost, RWD and 3 pedals (I still own this car today). After a few years of tinkering, I blew the motor up (2003?), but had been reading about one guy swapping the japanese 1JZ into it. I decided "Dumber people than me have done this" so I attempted my first ever engine swap with a home depot tool kit, the loan of a friends driveway. After 2 months of a very undertanding girlfriend driving me to work and spending every evening testing her patience while I poured over japanese wiring diagrams the car started and drove (and holy crap it was fast).

Over the next several years I helped other friends build cars, did a lot of canyon driving etc, but kept itching to do more that wouldnt end in tickets, and this is when I read an article about the first ever 24 hours of lemons, and thought "I might be dumb enough for this an I am certain I have friends that are dumb enough". Guess what? I DO have friends that are dumb enough!. In 2007 our LeMons team was born, had any of us ever built a racecar before? Nope! Were still figuring a lot of this out 9 years later, but it introduced me to competitive driving and racing in the most intoxicating way. From there I actually bought a track car (S2000) that didnt require the production of a trailer etc to get to the track so I could hit the crack pipe more often.

Then it was now, and I don't know what happens from here but I'm sure it has dollar signs and commas.

Liked
    454 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    I blame oli!
    Same here. Oli is a sum of a *****es.
    ~ Jim Tway
    Tway Motorsports
    (714) 528-2150
    #57 Pacific Automotive Recycling Center Corvette

Brought to you by:
    Pacific Automotive Recycling Center
    PA Construction
    American Heritage Performance

Liked
    481 times

My Mom, My Dad and my Grandfather all had their hands into racing. But mostly my Dad, who was a Riverside Raceway local. He had me around racing from an early age. He had me working F1, F5000 and TransAm races with him in the 70s. Funny thing, he always told me to stay away from the auto industry. It was like handing me the bottle and saying. Drink up! But you know that's bad for you , right!
    419079_335923469773641_1016789976_n.jpgroush.jpgcorkscrew.jpg13245_240900262762518_634965309_n.jpg
    ucfbrett and KJSCV like this.
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Liked
    89 times

Quote Originally Posted by Gian View Post
    My Mom, My Dad and my Grandfather all had their hands into racing. But mostly my Dad, who was a Riverside Raceway local. He had me around racing from an early age. He had me working F1, F5000 and TransAm races with him in the 70s. Funny thing, he always told me to stay away from the auto industry. It was like handing me the bottle and saying. Drink up! But you know that's bad for you , right!
    We probably were at the tracks at the same time...What is your dad's name
    BTW your 510, Still one of the best looking little racers ever...

Liked
    481 times

Quote Originally Posted by KJSCV View Post
    We probably were at the tracks at the same time...What is your dad's name
    BTW your 510, Still one of the best looking little racers ever...
    Just read your story. That is a cool story and funny too. Racers back then were a different breed. Fun loving pranksters!..lol.
    My Dad was W. Paul Bowles. Drove a DM19 Citroën for years. But had a few strange cars. Like his Saab 2 stroke factory rally car. He did some of the filming for the movie Grand Prix. The foot work they show are his feet also Filmed at RIR.

Oh & thanks, I miss that 510. True fun and good looking cars!
    Last edited by Gian; 03-20-2016 at 03:30 PM.
    bawareca and Loose Caboose like this.
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast