+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Where the Z guys at? Buying advice needed.

Liked
    2 times

I haven't heard much about the newer VHR's burning oil, but they do run hot so a cooler is a good idea. I still would love to see the GTR engine dropped into the Z34 (370z) chassis not a d@mn Juke .

sks
    Liked
    1 times

IF you gonna swap the motor get a cheaper 370z: Nissan 370Z / 2009 Slick Silver
    Supra APU (67dbb)

Road Racing Videos: See Youtube handle - smellygymshorts
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SmellyGy...s?feature=mhum

Liked
    103 times

Quote Originally Posted by Zazz View Post
    I haven't heard much about the newer VHR's burning oil, but they do run hot so a cooler is a good idea. I still would love to see the GTR engine dropped into the Z34 (370z) chassis not a d@mn Juke .
    yeah the VQ37VHR doesnt burn oil, once i got a solid oil cooler my 370 was great on track. The VQ38DETT would be a cool swap, but i think i would just go the LS route for the sake of NA simplicity and response

Quote Originally Posted by sks View Post
    IF you gonna swap the motor get a cheaper 370z: Nissan 370Z / 2009 Slick Silver
    yeah from a performance stand point the coupe is a much better choice, but i must say the 370 convertible looks damn good, and i HATE convertibles LOL

Liked
    981 times

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    2010 Touring Roadster w/Sport pkg and Nav... 18k mile car, 2k mile motor that will eventually be replace by some blown LSx... $32k..

Good deal?

Good car?

They burn oil?

I need a new daily. The E55 just ticked 90k. I figure I sell the race car and both will be paid off.

Seems like it would be a fun little car if you double the power.

But, I drove the Z and researched the LSx swap and now i'm like 50/50 on saying f it.. dumping the MB and the race car and head for the 60k range with a CTS-V, grand sport vert or 2010 GT-R.
    My dad has a 370Z nismo. Good looking car. I think you should keep racing T1, sell the "sled" and find a fun car to drive for less money . But if you are set on selling the T1 car and you can get a 2 seater then you have tons of good options. I'm sure Ryne could do a nice LS3 swap for you in a Z. Can the Z drivetrain handle the torque and power of a LS3?

CTS-V coupe with a manual tranny would be a good choice. I owned a new CTS-V with an auto for a while but traded it in to buy my wife something more practical for us. It was nice, but I would have preferred a stick. I'm most likely going to sell my ST2 car in a few months and just keep my T1 car. I'm also thinking about picking up a fun street car, something like this: 2004 BMW M3 CSL
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

Liked
    981 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    Ryan just put a new LS6 in his T1 car. He should just come out and race that. We all miss him at the local races. WSIR double national is in two weeks!

Is he going to let Brinkop and Kelley take his track record there. Only Ryan knows....

Oli
    Ain't gonna be me! I'd say you or Kyle at WSIR or Ryan's record is safe for a while. Jim T. hasn't driven a vette there yet and I've never been there before until today. I went down there this morning and did two 15-20 minute sessions and then headed back home. That track is pretty difficult (I think harder than ACS or Buttonwillow). Seems like it will be a hard track to pass on also with very few braking zones. I think this sealed the deal in my mind that the NorCal tracks are all better than the SoCal tracks.
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by redtopz View Post
    I think this sealed the deal in my mind that the NorCal tracks are all better than the SoCal tracks.
    Oh boy... I can see the wrath of The Sheriff coming now. I can't believe you are belittling his beloved tracks like SoWS, ACS, HTM and most especially the ACS Infield.

I was talking to an old-timer racer about WSIR. I was telling him how I was having trouble getting the lap times I felt I should get on WSIR. He said, "WSIR is an easy track to learn, but a difficult track to master." That is the most brilliant summation of that track.

Oli

PS. I am still slow there!

PSS. Tway is the real wild card for the double national race in two weeks.
    jimt likes this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    103 times

My dad has a 370Z nismo. Good looking car. I think you should keep racing T1, sell the "sled" and find a fun car to drive for less money . But if you are set on selling the T1 car and you can get a 2 seater then you have tons of good options. I'm sure Ryne could do a nice LS3 swap for you in a Z. Can the Z drivetrain handle the torque and power of a LS3?

]
    yes the Z trans and rear end can handle LS power no prob. strong units. BUT the car is plenty fun with power bolt ons. i ran 2.04.1 in my 370 at buttonwillow #13 with intake, exhaust, street tires, and brake pads, so its no slouch and it was tons of fun. not slow by any means

Liked
    58 times

Quote Originally Posted by sks View Post
    IF you gonna swap the motor get a cheaper 370z
    I want a vert

I think you should keep racing T1, sell the "sled" and find a fun car to drive for less money .
    Can the Z drivetrain handle the torque and power of a LS3?
    Well first off, my current sled is worth less than my 11yr old race car..

Secondly, What does it cost us per race weekend? $3k, give or take? 6-10 weekends?

$24k x 5 yr loan = a pretty nice daily driver.

The T56 goes in with the motor swap.
    Last edited by ryan; 02-10-2012 at 08:54 PM.

Liked
    58 times

Quote Originally Posted by GreyFocus View Post
    yeah the VQ37VHR doesnt burn oil
    weird... i've heard from one guy that the 350s burned oil.. then nissan swapped ring manufactures and cured it... then made the exact same mistake on the 370.

PS. I heard the going rate for the 370 motor and trans is around $5k? True?

Liked
    103 times

weird... i've heard from one guy that the 350s burned oil.. then nissan swapped ring manufactures and cured it... then made the exact same mistake on the 370.

PS. I heard the going rate for the 370 motor and trans is around $5k? True?
    well their are 3 different kinds of 3.5 liter V6s that came in the 350z's over the model years, so it depends on what motor he was talking about, and then on top of that the VQ37 in the 370 is different too. on track i had nearly zero oil consumption even without a catch can, and i checked before every session

sorry not sure about the going rate on VQ37s and trans

Liked
    58 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Considering all that and your propensity for a car like the MBZ, and I'd go for the GT-R. Serious technology and you like that.
    I'm not some rich lawyer.. i think i would feel almost guilty flogging a GT-R around the track... and you KNOW whatever i wind up with, it will see some laps at big willow.. banging on a Z just somehow feels more OK. its like my evo was... cars like that need battle scars and track wear... PS. what color do the Z calipers turn when you over cook them?.. heh.

I keep avoiding driving the GT-R on all of my friends advice... they said once you actually feel a 4100lb rig do what it can do, you end up owning one.

Liked
    58 times

well their are 3 different kinds of 3.5 liter V6s that came in the 350z's over the model years, so it depends on what motor he was talking about, and then on top of that the VQ37 in the 370 is different too. on track i had nearly zero oil consumption even without a catch can, and i checked before every session

sorry not sure about the going rate on VQ37s and trans

hrmm.. if i get the one I'm looking at i'll add its history to this post..

reading all of this, i sound like a whiner.. so what if it eats oil.. vette has had a black speckled rear bumper since day one.. ate so much at miller that it exploded.. benzo is going thru about a qt every 2 months.

I guess bottom line is...

The Z handles the track well?

Would you buy another one for the street?

Liked
    103 times

hrmm.. if i get the one I'm looking at i'll add its history to this post..

reading all of this, i sound like a whiner.. so what if it eats oil.. vette has had a black speckled rear bumper since day one.. ate so much at miller that it exploded.. benzo is going thru about a qt every 2 months.

I guess bottom line is...

The Z handles the track well?

Would you buy another one for the street?

with a decent oil cooler, the Z is more then fine on track. the suspension geo is really good so it handles well. its not earth crushing heavy at 3200-3300lbs. with power bolt ons, the car moves well and has a great note, i could only imagine the sound of a convertible 370 with intake and exhaust, it already sounds great with a roof. My 370's goal is a daily driver that can go to track days without issue and be fun. On the stock suspension it did great, and im about to put on KW V3s, alignment arms, and whiteline sways next week which should really make it fun while still being comfortable on track.

Liked
    1429 times

I dont think my C6 rattles... yet

I think you guys are on crack for wanting an LS engine in a 370. Just tune the 370's engine or put a super on it or something.

Liked
    58 times

with a decent oil cooler, the Z is more then fine on track. the suspension geo is really good so it handles well. its not earth crushing heavy at 3200-3300lbs. with power bolt ons, the car moves well and has a great note, i could only imagine the sound of a convertible 370 with intake and exhaust, it already sounds great with a roof. My 370's goal is a daily driver that can go to track days without issue and be fun. On the stock suspension it did great, and im about to put on KW V3s, alignment arms, and whiteline sways next week which should really make it fun while still being comfortable on track.
    good enough for me.

Liked
    58 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post

I think you guys are on crack for wanting an LS engine in a 370. Just tune the 370's engine or put a super on it or something.

#1. cause we can.
    #2. 6 is good... 8 is better.
    #3. torque.
    #4. i can look like a ricer, yet still be cool.
    #5. i haven't had good luck with turbos

Liked
    641 times

Next step is to see 370Z engine in a vette

Liked
    103 times

im not saying im going to put a LS in the car like tomorrow LOL, im just saying as the V6 gets long in the tooth over time, a LS is going to make its way under the hood. I said it in previous posts the V6 does pretty damn good with the right breathing mods and sounds good. Also the variable valve/cam timing really helps to widen the power band. Also their are not alot of good Forced induction setups for the car, their turbo setups but im not dealing with turbos again, no roots chargers, or even centrifugal. Some Rotrex setups, which im a fan of a rotrex charger, but im not stoked on the kits, also im not into covering the only opening in the bumper for a intercooler when i already gotta keep the oil cool with a massive oil cooler LOL. So for 400-500whp, LS seems t best route

good enough for me.
    coo, hit me up if you need help or have any other questions. Like i said you NEED a oil cooler before you can hit the track with the car, cause it has NO oil cooling what so ever from the factory. for the track i put DTC 60 hawk pads up front and they were more then enough for the car on street tires. good brake fluid of course too.

#1. cause we can.
    #2. 6 is good... 8 is better.
    #3. torque.
    #4. i can look like a ricer, yet still be cool.
    #5. i haven't had good luck with turbos
    i agree with all of the above.

after having a turbo car for years and all the headaches, NA V8s are very attractive LOL.
    Last edited by GreyFocus; 02-10-2012 at 10:04 PM.

Liked
    981 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    Oh boy... I can see the wrath of The Sheriff coming now. I can't believe you are belittling his beloved tracks like SoWS, ACS, HTM and most especially the ACS Infield.

I was talking to an old-timer racer about WSIR. I was telling him how I was having trouble getting the lap times I felt I should get on WSIR. He said, "WSIR is an easy track to learn, but a difficult track to master." That is the most brilliant summation of that track.

Oli

PS. I am still slow there!

PSS. Tway is the real wild card for the double national race in two weeks.
    Yeah, Jim or Chuck could take it too . I'm hoping to follow you guys for half the race and figure out how fast you can take those turns. Then let adrenaline do it's thing.

I agree WSIR was easier than Buttonwillow to "learn" the layout. Took me about 5 laps to get down to a 1:32. Problem is I never went faster than a 1:32 which is a lifetime off where the T1 cars are... I was way too slow through T1 and probably T2. And obviously I was lifting around the back sweeper and too slow through T9. The bumpiness surprised me and my ST2 car is way over sprung for the shocks it has (non-adjustable). It works fine on smooth tracks (ie. NorCal) but loses grip badly in slower bumpy sections. I need to soften the springs back up and add stiffer sway bars.
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

Liked
    981 times

Well first off, my current sled is worth less than my 11yr old race car..

Secondly, What does it cost us per race weekend? $3k, give or take? 6-10 weekends?

$24k x 5 yr loan = a pretty nice daily driver.

The T56 goes in with the motor swap.
    Yeah, you have to really enjoy it to spend that much cash. I'm sure I'll burn out sooner or later. Another option is a LSx porsche roadster. V8 sound and torque from a porsche must be fun.
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast