+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where do I begin if I want join SCCA and NASA?

What's Traction Control? 600RR_Rocket's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times

Question Where do I begin if I want join SCCA and NASA?

Hello,

After tracking my car at various HPDE's in Southern California...I feel I am ready to get more competitive.

What are the in's and out's of joining SCCA and NASA?

Liked
    549 times

I'll let someone more knowledgeable of NASA speak to that...I do know that NASA has more of a "come up through HPDE to get a Time Trial license, then a competition license" process, but details are not within my ken.

For SCCA, it's somewhat simpler (although perhaps more expensive...it depends).

First, you have to get a medical (15 minutes of wasted time ) and send it in to get your novice license.

The you have to do two driver's school for a total of 6 hours of on-track time. Both CalClub (the SoCal SCCA region) and SFR (SF Region) offer a "superschool" which is one weekend as a double school. At the completion of driver's school, the Chief Steward signs your novice logbook clearing you to race in SCCA Regional events.

You then get to race! At the end of each of the first two races, you go to the Chief Steward for the event with the official results, and, assuming you've been a good boy, get signed off for satisfactory performance. Then, with two good races in your logbook (and this can be from a "double" race weekend where they hold two races in one weekend), you send in your logbook and get a Regional competition license.

After racing in 4 more Regional events in one year, you can get your National license (the difference is that, in theory, people running National events are trying to race their way into the Runoffs to become the National Champion. In practice, depending upon where you are, it may or may not be fiercer competition, or the same people).

For the SCCA driver's school you will need a true racecar, although it doesn't have to conform to any specific class within SCCA. For example, you have a Miata and fitted it with a LS7 V8, that's okay, as long as it passes the technical check for safety. (perhaps a less dramatic example would be running on non-Spec tires in Spec Miata).

SCCA driver's school will be much less about absolute speed and much more about situational awareness and car control. In my group of 20 cars, there was one fast guy who lived on the verge of getting bounced because he didn't pay attention, and only one guy who was so slow it was a concern. But there was a guy in an SRF that was about 7 seconds a lap slower than me (and this is on the 1.25 mile course, and I was driving at 9/10th, not 10/10ths) who was never in danger of being bounced because he had good situational awareness and didn't miss flags, etc.

I don't believe that there are any more SCCA schools being offered this year; everyone seems to do one double school around March. But there are private schools like Skip Barber that have the 3 day classes that get you an SCCA license, and if you were going to rent a car anyway, the price differential isn't all that great. I think CalClub might have just inked an agreement with a driver's school at Willow Springs that uses race prepped Celicas?

If you'd like to see an event and meet folks, feel free to come up to Buttonwillow this weekend. I'll be there for the open test on Friday and the Saturday Regional. You can learn all about Spec Racer Fords if you like...or bug Oli about his T1 Corvette.

I will say that I'd rather have 1 qualifying run and 1 race in a day than 5 sessions of HPDE. It's less time on track, but it's WAY more intense. And fun.

Steve

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post

I will say that I'd rather have 1 qualifying run and 1 race in a day than 5 sessions of HPDE. It's less time on track, but it's WAY more intense. And fun.

Steve
    Agreed.
    John
    #522 996 Spec / GTS3
    JC3D // Racecars and Keyframes // 996 Spec

Liked
    0 times

Great info...thanks SteveLevin!

I just got this off the S2KI.com...anyone know the process in obtaining a NASA license??

SCCA now accepts NASA Racing license, hopefully not a repost

it was posted on the private Honda Challenge board and a few other places.

that is good news, although I am not sure what SCCA Class is a good fit for the S2000. I never felt like taking the test for SCCA due to the requirement to race 2 times a year to keep the license.

Around here I think SPU is where Pete F. was racing his yellow S2000.....but there was really no competition.....?

http://www.scca.org/newsarticle.aspx?hub=1&news=3331

Liked
    2165 times

Default SCCA Racing School in SoCal

FAST LANE Racing School now SCCA Accredited
    Racing with the "Best in the West"
    http://www.calclub.com/html/html2/Fast_Lane_Rev_1.htm

Liked
    2 times

Usually you need to work thru the hpde's. Always make good judgement calls. Good track awareness etc. There is only one person that i know that did not have to take the nasa racing school to get there license (i didn't say that). I ran with this guy many times and at no times did he ever get black flagged, get put on the violation sheet nor did anyone ever complain about him. Always good passes (open passing in hpde 3), never did he get too close to cause anyone to get nervious. And he was a really nice guy on and off the track.

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    FAST LANE Racing School now SCCA Accredited
    Racing with the "Best in the West"
    http://www.calclub.com/html/html2/Fast_Lane_Rev_1.htm
    within how long is that good for? i took danny's class 2 years ago as my very first track experience.
    Follow me to the track!
    Team 5 Racing

Liked
    1 times

I would suggest taking the Skip Barber 3-day racing school (formula car or mx5 cup car) to obtain your SCCA racing license. This will also give you a solid foundation on the fundamentals of racing and you can work with some great instructors (like me =P)... Then you can apply for your regional SCCA license and probably a NASA one as well.

Robbie
    Montinola Racing | www.montinola.com
    Silicon Valley Racing | www.DriveSVR.com
    Driver Coaching :: Private Track Events

Liked
    0 times

Another dumb question,

If get an SCCA license, can I use that to get a NASA license??

Thanks!

Liked
    165 times

Quote Originally Posted by MontinolaRacing View Post
    I would suggest taking the Skip Barber 3-day racing school (formula car or mx5 cup car) to obtain your SCCA racing license. This will also give you a solid foundation on the fundamentals of racing and you can work with some great instructors (like me =P)... Then you can apply for your regional SCCA license and probably a NASA one as well.

Robbie
    +1... formula cars.

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by 600RR_Rocket View Post
    Another dumb question,

If get an SCCA license, can I use that to get a NASA license??

Thanks!
    Yes, you can get a NASA license with an SCCA license.

+ Reply to Thread