+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By hakeem

Thread: Where to buy Hoosier SM6 or SM7 in socal?

  1. #1
    Senior Member albertg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    148
    Liked
    35 times

    Default Where to buy Hoosier SM6 or SM7 in socal?

    Where are you guys buying your Hoosiers, and more specifically, the SM6 (or SM7)? I understand that the BW Tire shop is one option. Anywhere in LA/OC counties?
    Last edited by albertg; 01-21-2014 at 01:00 PM.

  2. #2
    Chest hair required Olitho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,088
    Liked
    2165 times

    Default

    Tirerack.com or America's tire, the local shops. Call James Bratton at nine-five-one 536-0599.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

  3. #3
    http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,628
    Liked
    2398 times
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

    Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

  4. #4
    Senior Member albertg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    148
    Liked
    35 times

    Default

    Oli - Thanks for the info. James can definitely get them. Cheap.

    For anybody that wants to know, Tirerack cannot get the SM specific Hoosiers.

  5. #5
    Chest hair required Olitho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,088
    Liked
    2165 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by albertg View Post
    Oli - Thanks for the info. James can definitely get them. Cheap.

    For anybody that wants to know, Tirerack cannot get the SM specific Hoosiers.
    When you spend as much as I do on tires you learn the best places to get them.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    769
    Liked
    237 times

    Default

    Is the SCCA still mandating a fixed price for the Spec Miata-sized SM6 and SM7 tires?

  7. #7
    Chest hair required Olitho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,088
    Liked
    2165 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeColangelo View Post
    Is the SCCA still mandating a fixed price for the Spec Miata-sized SM6 and SM7 tires?
    How can anyone mandate a fixed price?

    That is anti-competitive and against the law.


    Oli
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

  8. #8
    dirty smack talker hakeem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,076
    Liked
    977 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    How can anyone mandate a fixed price?

    That is anti-competitive and against the law.


    Oli
    The SCCA is above the law.
    bellwilliam and Red_5 like this.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    769
    Liked
    237 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    How can anyone mandate a fixed price?

    That is anti-competitive and against the law.


    Oli
    I recall reading where the SCCA's contract with Hoosier specified a price. I believe that's why the Hoosier R6 and Hoosier SM6 (a rebranded R6) had different prices, with the SM6 being around $160-ish and the R6 being somewhere around $200 or so.

  10. #10
    http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,628
    Liked
    2398 times

    Default

    205/50/15 R6 is around $230 retail.
    205/50/15 SM6 (same tire) is about $170 retail.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

    Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

  11. #11
    Chest hair required Olitho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,088
    Liked
    2165 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeColangelo View Post
    I recall reading where the SCCA's contract with Hoosier specified a price. I believe that's why the Hoosier R6 and Hoosier SM6 (a rebranded R6) had different prices, with the SM6 being around $160-ish and the R6 being somewhere around $200 or so.
    That is completely different. SCCA can and does negotiate with Hoosier, Nitto, Toyo, BF Goodrich, et al for a tire deal for a spec series. They put out a bid for the tire size for the series and then ask manufacturers to respond with a target price on the tire and how much they will pay SCCA for the designation as the spec tire. So SCCA is not telling anyone how much than can charge for the tire. They are negotiating what the tire will cost. That is a big difference.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    769
    Liked
    237 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    That is completely different. SCCA can and does negotiate with Hoosier, Nitto, Toyo, BF Goodrich, et al for a tire deal for a spec series. They put out a bid for the tire size for the series and then ask manufacturers to respond with a target price on the tire and how much they will pay SCCA for the designation as the spec tire. So SCCA is not telling anyone how much than can charge for the tire. They are negotiating what the tire will cost. That is a big difference.
    OK, I stand corrected. "Mandated" wasn't the correct term but "negotiated" is.

    Here's a link from Hoosier's webs site:
    Hoosier Racing Tire - Tires Designed For Champions

  13. #13
    Senior Member bellwilliam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    La Verne, California, United States
    Posts
    7,644
    Liked
    2282 times

    Default

    Isn't that how MAP pricing works ?
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts