+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: When was your First time on a race track?

Liked
    1477 times

The whole thing was led by Topper Chasse, now deceased, who knew both tracks at Willow better than just about anyone. He was 72 at the time, and had been instructing for the Porsche Owners Club since 1965 -- when he was only 17. He died in 2005, and was still instructing for HSR that year.
    Jack -

Good story, but I don't think your math works. If Topper was age 17 in 1965, he would be 66 today, alive or dead. If he died at age 72 in 2005, he was 32 in 1965.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    378 times

You're right about that; I didn't check the math. I got it from this obituary, but in re-reading it, it's possible that the author was 17 at the time, and Chasse was older. Chasse was born in 1928 and died at 77 in 2005. He was 72 when he instructed me. I'll fix it in the original post.

Liked
    26 times

1992 with Poc in 944T at Wsir.
    1'3xx
    http://touringcarclub.net/

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    We've never met, you might be a good guy and you seem to come across that way in your posts, but you have no idea how nervous your post makes me.
    Certainly makes me appreciate clubs that take a more conservative approach towards beginners like POC which you have to be signed off by an instructor to drive outside the beginner group, regardless of how many video games you played.

Either you lied to yourself or trying to sell it to us..
    Ever met the guy that decided he was not qualified to get in bed with a playboy bunny and therefore should only aim at getting to second base with the neighborhood girls?
    I'm more or less in agreement with you. Allowing drivers to choose which run group they are in is a potential problem-- though I think there is definitely a difference in gravity between risking your life and others and bedding a woman. Where I think we might parts ways is on the following topics: 1. Did I make the right choice choosing intermediate for my first track day?; and, 2. is self-chosen run groups currently a problem. My answers would be Yes, and No. As for the latter, we currently are not undergoing a crisis with on-track property damage and lost lives, so there isn't a problem. But, that's not the same as suggesting there isn't room for improvement in policies and procedures.

I tell you what though. when I eventually bring a motorcycle to a race track, I will definitely be in the beginner group.

xgzit0o.gif
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    977 times

Quote Originally Posted by Schmoe Money View Post
    Hey Redtopz,

Did you happen to participate in the Open Track Challenge back in 2002?

You sound exactly like the other Viper drivers who were there... lol
    Except for Pmum, who would smoke anyone anywhere

Liked
    188 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    Except for Pmum, who would smoke anyone anywhere
    Yeah... Pmum wasn't a Viper driver... he was a god among mortals.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1915 times

Quote Originally Posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
    Where I think we might parts ways is on the following topics: 1. Did I make the right choice choosing intermediate for my first track day?; and, 2. is self-chosen run groups currently a problem. My answers would be Yes, and No. As for the latter, we currently are not undergoing a crisis with on-track property damage and lost lives, so there isn't a problem.
    Re: 1 - Maybe you did, maybe you didn't.
    There's no way to answer the question.
    The only people that would know the answer to that are the other guys in your run group.

Re: 2 - Your approach is much too narrow in my opinion.
    On the same token you can put a guy on a bicycle on the track with all the cars and as long as he does not die and everyone manages to avoid hitting him there is no problem.
    Drivers that misplace themselves are a huge issue and you see it in every track day.
    Maybe less so in intermediate group where there's a serious variation in skill and awareness that people are generally expecting the other guys to do dumb stuff and therefore are not very aggressive.
    But in the faster groups every guy that has a fast car that classes himself to far up - and it's ALWAYS in a fast car (slow car can't mask the lack of skill), is a gigantic pain in the ass, especially for guys that are more skilled but drive slower car.
    That guy is a constant hazard to everyone around him and can really ruin a session (or more).
    I cannot tell you how many times I drove mid session into the hot pit and had to tell the flaggers to black flag someone who was not capable of using their mirrors...

Liked
    977 times

especially for guys that are more skilled but drive slower car
    There's your problem!

Liked
    2265 times

^^ Oh, sure focus on that.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1915 times

When all else fails... <insert rotary reliability joke here>

Liked
    742 times

Re: 1 - Maybe you did, maybe you didn't.
    There's no way to answer the question.
    The only people that would know the answer to that are the other guys in your run group.

Re: 2 - Your approach is much too narrow in my opinion.
    On the same token you can put a guy on a bicycle on the track with all the cars and as long as he does not die and everyone manages to avoid hitting him there is no problem.
    Drivers that misplace themselves are a huge issue and you see it in every track day.
    Maybe less so in intermediate group where there's a serious variation in skill and awareness that people are generally expecting the other guys to do dumb stuff and therefore are not very aggressive.
    But in the faster groups every guy that has a fast car that classes himself to far up - and it's ALWAYS in a fast car (slow car can't mask the lack of skill), is a gigantic pain in the ass, especially for guys that are more skilled but drive slower car.
    That guy is a constant hazard to everyone around him and can really ruin a session (or more).
    I cannot tell you how many times I drove mid session into the hot pit and had to tell the flaggers to black flag someone who was not capable of using their mirrors...
    Yes, I do notice that in the advanced group it is common for me to have a difficult time passing slower cars either because I'm not getting a point by, or it's an open passing group, so driver's think point by's are no longer allowed [sarcasm]. In fact, I notice generally better awareness in the intermediate groups when taking students out. Tons of point bys, but rarely done properly (i.e moving off line then giving point by or giving point by right before a #$%^ turn.) Nevertheless, I still would call it a problem, but maybe it depends on the day, time, and organization. I only do 6 days a year on average, so my experience is admittedly limited.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    1541 times

Quote Originally Posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
    Yes, I do notice that in the advanced group it is common for me to have a difficult time passing slower cars. In fact, I notice generally better awareness in the intermediate groups when taking students out.
    I have a different perspective. I find the most dangerous place to be is the inter group where guys are trying harder than they have talent for to get to the advanced group. I never have problems passing in an advanced group maybe because I don't expect any favors. Advanced drivers on the whole are more predictable and that makes them safer. I was never a fan of defining the advanced group as the faster group. I think the advanced group should have experienced drivers not necessarily fast cars. Advanced groups that I drive in are open passing. That means it is my responsibility to learn how to manage the track around me and find a clean way around someone. The harder they make it for me the more I learn. In open passing drivers don't make it hard enough. Sometimes they hit the brakes trying to help me by. I have made that mistake mistiming my own generosity trying to help an out of class racer but in the end I could cause more problems than I hope to solve. I have to remind myself not to be overly helpful but to be predictable. Maybe I have those attitudes about passing at open trackdays because mostly I race vs. rarely time trial/hpde. It just seems that the majority of drivers once they fill a person's mirrors expects that person to immediately jump out of the way. All too often I'm on someone's bumper and I can see their eyes looking back at me in a panic trying to figure out where to go. I'm thinking..."chill brother its all good!"
    Richard EVO likes this.

Liked
    299 times

When i first started tracking. 2nd full year into it (4-5 track days in)

And btw, this was in the pointy-by group. So i can't just willy nilly pass him without one whenever or wherever i want or else i get the black flag.
    Last edited by Pure EvoIX; 04-19-2014 at 09:00 PM.
    Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
    1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
    2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
    2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
    1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
    1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
    1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
    1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
    1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
    1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
    2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

Liked
    299 times

I wish there was an organization or run group where people can just practice passing/racing passes, but not be in a race group. As in, people who want this kind of practice don't have to turn their daily into full on track/race cars just so they can practice racing passes. For example, 2 wide into a turn, hang around the outside, now im inside for the next turn. Passing under braking. Over under criss cross pass. Slip stream down the straight and take the inside. Getting a run on someone from apex to exit and then passing someone down the straight without the guy ahead lifting, braking to assist the pass.

Is there anything like that besides converting your car into full on race car with $7k in safety (cage, hans, side protection, harness, seat, fire system, quick release, window net, etc etc etc...?

After thinking some more, I am sure some would suggest just do a race school, but you would still need a decked out race car with full safety anyway...

I guess people might say, if you want to practice that sort of thing, there is no going around getting a fully caged safety'd out racecar and go race. But what if you don't care for 1st place and winning, but just want to practice passing in various situations....

I mean yes, in open group there is some of that in effect, but not at the level I want. I have done passes under braking side by side and going around the outside of someone for a pass. Or going for the inside when there is a gap left for me...
    Last edited by Pure EvoIX; 04-19-2014 at 09:09 PM.

Liked
    1541 times

Quote Originally Posted by Pure EvoIX View Post
    I wish there was an organization or run group where people can just practice passing/racing passes, but not be in a race group.
    Well you would be in a race group and need a racecar but if that is your kind of thing AROSC.org driving school at WSIR SOW is for you. The school is super fun and I still do maybe one of the two day school every year or every other year despite years of racing SCCA etc. The school is held around February and even more fun if it rains! You can rent a miata or rent a car from fastlane driving school right there at WSIR.

I know that speedventures red green group are open passing not racing. But I don't see any reason you and a friend couldn't take it down a notch (7/10ths) and pass in turns, run side by side, etc. being well in control. I know they don't want you stealing apexes from people and surprising people with aggressive driving. SV/Emillio has a race series going with SV right? I can't think of a better way to graduate from SV red to that race group than working on skills with a friend in red/green open passing. Just remember I warned you...racing is like living with a supermodel. Once you have had the taste of champagne it is hard to go back to soda.
    Pure EvoIX and bawareca like this.

Liked
    1477 times

Just remember I warned you...racing is like living with a supermodel. Once you have had the taste of champagne it is hard to go back to soda.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty . . ." Peter Egan
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    72 times

2009 or 2010 at SoW Toyota/MR2 day that silversprint put together. I taped my head and tail lights because I saw that in Best Motoring. I remember Silversprint and Sherman gave me ride alongs in their MR2s and it was glorious.

My roommate blew his motor at the very end of the day but I kept the dream alive.

Liked
    72 times

Also, LOL at Seth getting flamed. You can't cite video games and highway driving as experience, fool. I would die to see your resume.

Liked
    299 times

Driving Experience
    GT Academy Qualifying 2011-2013...lol

Liked
    742 times

Quote Originally Posted by Pure EvoIX View Post
    Driving Experience
    GT Academy Qualifying 2011-2013...lol
    You qualified 3 years in a row? I was pretty pleased when i placed 126th nationally :/
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Youtube Channel.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast