+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 113
Like Tree134Likes

Thread: What's your track-related new year's resolution?

  1. #61
    Chest hair required Olitho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,088
    Liked
    2165 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    I have started exercising, which is mainly biking and some yoga because my knee is pretty crunchy. Running is not going to be part of this program, though walking/hiking is. Starting to feel very good, though I am still struggling with the smoking. I am recouping lung capacity slowly. I believe to be on a target to hit my weight goal by the end of summer. I am going to work in some weight training around that time.
    Keep at it. This is one the best resolutions posted this year.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

  2. #62
    Spec Backhoe Champion redtopz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,229
    Liked
    981 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    I have started exercising, which is mainly biking and some yoga because my knee is pretty crunchy. Running is not going to be part of this program, though walking/hiking is. Starting to feel very good, though I am still struggling with the smoking. I am recouping lung capacity slowly. I believe to be on a target to hit my weight goal by the end of summer. I am going to work in some weight training around that time.
    Force, good to hear about your progress. Hockey looks like a tough sport. I just saw a couple days ago a European player was paralyzed from a hit from behind breaking his neck.

    I also used to be an athlete and I grudgingly gave up about 5-6 years ago due to chronic injuries and pain. This is when I discovered hpde/racing and substituted these activities for other sports. However, after 5 years of not playing sports I discovered this year that my body has had time to heal. I've been walking/running, karting, and playing on a basketball team and I feel in better shape than I have in probably 8 years. Except for my back which will never be "young" again. I gave up lifting weights years ago and use a total gym at home instead. I've always been a big fan of cross-training using a variety of sports/activities to help you improve at others.
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

  3. #63
    I wanna go fast! thepass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    700
    Liked
    543 times

    Default

    Fitness is so important to driving in my eyes. The healthier you are the easier it is to drive, focus is easier to maintain, you tire slower, etc.

    Here's mine:

    - Win Miata Challenge Super Modified
    - Drive to/from every track event and not have any mechanical failures that prevent me from getting home.
    - Return to Laguna Seca (childhood favorite since I grew up there, and have always had something keep me from going each year since I moved to SoCal)
    - Learn. Absorb everything I can from those better than me.
    redtopz likes this.
    Ryan Passey
    Singulär Motorsports | Goodwin Racing

    #13 1990 Miata
    "The sport dedicating to the spirits of time attacking motoring" -Emilio

  4. #64
    The Real Captain Slow Red_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    4,188
    Liked
    704 times

    Default

    Revisiting this thread and my resolution unfortunately still rings true. I'm rethinking this year's schedule and might spend more racing time preparing the car. Budget is tight and not sure if my Racepak dash is toast from last weekend. If it's toast and not something simple, my mind will be made up for me and I'll be done for awhile.

    Edit: another fuse blown and replaced. Racepak works.

    The upside is that I started working out almost year ago with a trainer in a group setting. I have lost 20 pounds and definitely am stronger all around with better stamina. I've changed the way I eat as well a couple of months ago and that's where most of my weight loss has come from. There's good and bad in 2013, I just need to see how things shake down.
    Last edited by Red_5; 03-10-2013 at 05:23 PM.
    redtopz likes this.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

  5. #65
    Administrator ucfbrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ventura, Calif.
    Posts
    5,448
    Liked
    2241 times

    Default

    And then you race karts with some friends one afternoon and discover how much better shape we should be in.

  6. #66
    Senior Member gkmccready's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Redwood City, CA
    Posts
    316
    Liked
    28 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    I have channeled a lot of my focus to getting back down to competition weight. I am a former athlete and I have suffered some fairly catastrophic injuries in my late teens. I had two consecutive injuries to my left knee about 18 mos apart, which cost me an athletic scholarship (NCAA Div 1 - ice hockey with a Big 10 school). It was probably for the best because I had also racked up a few concussions, too, that weren't diagnosed like they are today. I weighed about 190 at 6' post-therapy after the first injury. I ballooned up to 250-255 by 2002. I was back down to 240 by the time I moved to CA in '06.
    Nice! I'm two reconstructed shoulders, repaired forearm tendon, and general wear'n'tear from ice hockey. Not Div1, but played Midget A and a couple Junior B games back in Ontario. i've done the 180->215->180->200->... thing for a long time and I'm only 5'7". In January '11 I saw a picture of myself attending a Sharks game.... I dropped from 200 to 140# (March '12) with careful gym time & diet change (less beer & junk food!)... back up to 160# now, missing gym time & more beer. But still not too bad. Much healthier ... off the blood pressure and cholesterol meds. And let's not talk about undiagnosed (or diagnosed) concussions...

    Keep working on it and you'll get there! I'm off the ice right now with two more torn tendons. Sore shoulder again. But I'll work through it. Focused on racing this summer again...
    redtopz likes this.

  7. #67
    Spec Backhoe Champion redtopz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,229
    Liked
    981 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    And then you race karts with some friends one afternoon and discover how much better shape we should be in.
    +1. It's more physically demanding than racing my vette by a long shot. Everything is more raw, the lateral g's, the rear-only brake, and the steering effort. I would kart every day if I could. I see why kids that grow up karting are so fast as adults. Even at my age, I can go about twice as long per session now vs. when I first started a few months ago. Racing cars is fun in a different way, but I think I prefer the athleticism involved in karting compared to cars. One thing's for sure: if I raced an open wheel car like a FM, I would spend a ton of time on the kart track (Richard) . It seems like it would knock down your learning curve exponentially.

  8. #68
    RaceTape Ninja Force McCocken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Roswell, GA
    Posts
    1,438
    Liked
    742 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gkmccready View Post
    Nice! I'm two reconstructed shoulders, repaired forearm tendon, and general wear'n'tear from ice hockey. Not Div1, but played Midget A and a couple Junior B games back in Ontario. i've done the 180->215->180->200->... thing for a long time and I'm only 5'7". In January '11 I saw a picture of myself attending a Sharks game.... I dropped from 200 to 140# (March '12) with careful gym time & diet change (less beer & junk food!)... back up to 160# now, missing gym time & more beer. But still not too bad. Much healthier ... off the blood pressure and cholesterol meds. And let's not talk about undiagnosed (or diagnosed) concussions...

    Keep working on it and you'll get there! I'm off the ice right now with two more torn tendons. Sore shoulder again. But I'll work through it. Focused on racing this summer again...
    Thanks all. It's encouraging.

    Off the top of my head, I have had my left knee reconstructed twice, I am missing some cartiladge there. I split my ulna at the elbow that went undiagnosed until 3 weeks later when the bone started to separate. Lessee...broken ribs, cracked ribs, broken arm, broken wrist, bruised heart, dislocated fingers, whiplash, at least 3 concussions, one severe. Sport hernia, too. Fortunately, fighting was minmal and we wore cages, so damage to my money maker is practically non-existant. I also have a scar on the the inside of my upper bicept from a skate. I played defense, sort along the same style of a smaller Chris Pronger or Shea Weber. LOVED the open ice hits, and I made a lot of them. Played a lot of grinding style until I got my offensive skills up and played a lot of kills and PP. As a Lefty, I had a good advantage, but in some sports, I'm ambidextrous, so I could shoot L or R, depending on the face. I missed the game so much, I couldn't stand watching it. That took about 6 years to shake. I am enjoying being a spectator now because I have a deep appreciation for the skills and abilities to play at a pro level. I turned to autoracing because of my injuries.
    Yer pal,
    Force

  9. #69
    Administrator ucfbrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ventura, Calif.
    Posts
    5,448
    Liked
    2241 times

    Default

    ^^Geez, you guys are seriously banged up.

  10. #70
    Senior Member suki101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Altadena, CA
    Posts
    160
    Liked
    35 times

    Default

    @ Force; keep at it with giving up smoking. I know it's hard; been watching my father trying to quit for the past 25 years. I’ll be routing for you.

  11. #71
    dirty smack talker hakeem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,076
    Liked
    977 times

    Default

    Giving up smoking is a glorious thing. I am on year 9 having gone from at least 1 pack a day to cold turkey. Took a few tries but eventually stuck. Best life decision ever.
    bawareca and suki101 like this.

  12. #72
    4 doors 2 seats
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    610
    Liked
    149 times

    Default

    If you guys are serious about quitting smoking, you might want to consider chantix. I think Its like $180 bucks for the pack by prescription only from your normal physician but it works. I have seen 3 people in the last 2 years quit after years of heavy smoking. One of them, my uncle has been a chimney the majority of my entire 25 years of existence up until thanksgiving 2011 smoking up to 2 packs a day at one point and he quit completely after 5 days on chantix and hasn't smoked since. To be Fair I am not a smoker and have not personally used it but having seen it work all 3 times I have seen people try that was pretty impressive to me. Especially having seen friends attempt and fail to quit more times than I can count over the years. So maybe its worth looking in to?

  13. #73
    RaceTape Ninja Force McCocken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Roswell, GA
    Posts
    1,438
    Liked
    742 times

    Default

    I started around age 19 and have quit twice for 3-5 year stretches. I picked it up again in '06; just married, owned a home, and I was laid off. I can quit cold, I just need to be extremely active/busy. It is harder this time because I work from home, so I get cabin fever. I recently switched from consulting to exclusively employed with one client. I deal with a lot of idiots, which is normal, but it is also stressful.

    Chantrix has some really scary side effects that make me leery. The patches work well, but if I forget to take them off at night I have crazy Tim Burton/David Lynch-esque dreams and I wake up feeling like I never slept.
    Yer pal,
    Force

  14. #74
    RaceTape Ninja Force McCocken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Roswell, GA
    Posts
    1,438
    Liked
    742 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    ^^Geez, you guys are seriously banged up.
    That ulna split did a number on me when it healed. The spur that formed rubs the bundle of nerves if I do repetitive motions like throwing or sawing. My forarm and hand will go numb, but it still functions fine. I just can't feel it.
    Yer pal,
    Force

  15. #75
    BMW Master bawareca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    1,711
    Liked
    641 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    Giving up smoking is a glorious thing. I am on year 9 having gone from at least 1 pack a day to cold turkey. Took a few tries but eventually stuck. Best life decision ever.
    I started around 13 yr old,and after 20 yrs of smoking I was up to 3-4 packs a day.No one ever saw me without a cigarette in my hand or mouth,no one ever believed I could quit.I knew I have to,or just kill myself to avoid the slow and painfull death.At this day 9 years ago,I just decided that would be the day to quit,and I did.No patches,no pills,just determination.I was dreaming that i smoke until 2-3 years ago.Even now,when I am writing that I have that feeling in my throat and am starving for one cigarette.
    I did my best to remember 1)Exactly how I feel any given morning after so much smoking and 2)If i ever get a burning cigarette in my hand,I would start immediately and compensate for all those years not smoking.Worked well so far.
    hakeem and Loose Caboose like this.

  16. #76
    RaceTape Ninja Force McCocken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Roswell, GA
    Posts
    1,438
    Liked
    742 times

    Default

    Good on ya, man! That is how I quit twice before, just need to make the final push to do it.

    On another resolution, I secured a new home!

    I will be renting it from a close personal friend, but we are discussing a possible land contract. It is a midcentury modern, a classic ranch-style home in the Eichler style. As a designer, I'm stoked all to hell about it! It's small, but it's 4-5 blocks from downtown Raleigh and the homes in the area are exploding in value. It has a large, private yard and a two-car covered carport. It is the only original midcentury modern residence in downtown that still has the correct aesthetic. There are tons of them much further out, which surprised me (pleasantly) when we moved here. My friend is moving to Atlanta because his wife is finishing her residency at Duke and has taken a position as a neural surgeon with a firm there. NC is kicking ass coming off the recession and Raleigh is expected to be larger than Charlotte in 5-7 years, with some economic studies predicting it to be on a verge of an Atlanta-type growth. Downtown is very busy and active, people actually go there to do things, unlike SOCAL.
    Yer pal,
    Force

  17. #77
    Senior Member gkmccready's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Redwood City, CA
    Posts
    316
    Liked
    28 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    ^^Geez, you guys are seriously banged up.
    I am not going to enumerate my injuries. Not sure I could even remember them all. :-)

  18. #78
    Administrator ucfbrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ventura, Calif.
    Posts
    5,448
    Liked
    2241 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    Good on ya, man! That is how I quit twice before, just need to make the final push to do it.

    On another resolution, I secured a new home!

    I will be renting it from a close personal friend, but we are discussing a possible land contract. It is a midcentury modern, a classic ranch-style home in the Eichler style. As a designer, I'm stoked all to hell about it! It's small, but it's 4-5 blocks from downtown Raleigh and the homes in the area are exploding in value. It has a large, private yard and a two-car covered carport. It is the only original midcentury modern residence in downtown that still has the correct aesthetic. There are tons of them much further out, which surprised me (pleasantly) when we moved here. My friend is moving to Atlanta because his wife is finishing her residency at Duke and has taken a position as a neural surgeon with a firm there. NC is kicking ass coming off the recession and Raleigh is expected to be larger than Charlotte in 5-7 years, with some economic studies predicting it to be on a verge of an Atlanta-type growth. Downtown is very busy and active, people actually go there to do things, unlike SOCAL.

    I love midcentury modern. I hope to build/buy one some day. So distinct.

  19. #79
    RaceTape Ninja Force McCocken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Roswell, GA
    Posts
    1,438
    Liked
    742 times

    Default

    Oh yeah! Shocked to find out Raleigh (!!) is has the third largest inventory of MCM homes in the US, behind LA and Chicago. When I read that I started noticing them more.

    I'm just excited to have a bigger driveway for the vehicles. And a place where my Eames and Nelson furniture will actually be in modern environment.
    Last edited by Force McCocken; 03-12-2013 at 01:02 PM.
    Yer pal,
    Force

  20. #80
    RaceTape Ninja Force McCocken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Roswell, GA
    Posts
    1,438
    Liked
    742 times

    Default

    I'm at 200#. Lost 22# since Jan 27. Feeling better, still haven't stopped smoking, but I'm working on it. Knees feel awesome. I stopped cycling for a little while until the pollen knocks down. No allergies, but it is so thick, it makes me choke. Everything is covered in tree spooge at the moment. It's like when the Santa Ana winds bring in the dust and soot, but worse. I have to buy cheap clothing to keep up with the shrinking body, but I rarely spend a lot on that anyways. Working from home leaves me with a pants-optional dress code.

    The re-education in diet/food has been enlightening for sure. I find myself leveling out better throughout the day, don't even miss stuff like sodas or ice cream. Goal weight is about 165-170#. I am predicting to be there about early autumn, depending on how active I am in the summer. Huge kudos to my wife. She's an inspiration and can easily kick my ass without any of her high-falutin' Judo moves. I can still hip-check her across the room though. She rarely sees it coming.
    ucfbrett, Jon H, bawareca and 1 others like this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts