+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: What's a good street-legal track tire (summer 2014 edition)?

Liked
    744 times

Quote Originally Posted by thepass View Post
    Both the Rival and RS3 are awesome for street tires in dry conditions, but I'm not sure about their water channeling abilities. The Star Spec was amazing at this.

This is moot considering the OP and yourself live in SOCAL where a) it barely rains and b) most SOCAL drivers suck in the rain regardless the tire selection.
    Olitho and MikeColangelo like this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    60 times

Quote Originally Posted by MikeColangelo View Post
    2. Won't get greasy after 20 minutes of track driving (like the Falken Azenis used to do). Prefer good grip up to 30 minutes of hard driving.
    Zero street tires won't get greasy after 20-30 minutes of hard track driving. That certainly includes the Rival and RS3.

As William pointed out, s2k guys (including myself) found the Rival to be overrated in terms of grip, and CERTAINLY nowhere near NT-01 levels of grip.

Another tire to consider that may be at the top of your price range is the Advan AD08R. I have a new set I'd sell but they are 285/30/18 so not helpful to you. If they fall into the sub-$300/tire range, then they might be the best "all around" option given your criteria.

Not sure why anyone in SoCal cares about channeling water though... best to pickup a second set of wheels and drive to/from the track on NT01s imho.
    Follow my racing: https://www.youtube.com/ryandhouck
    2009 Yamaha R6 (race bike)
    2014 Triumph Street Triple R (street bike)
    2009 Honda S2000
    2008 BMW M3 (sold)

fe4
    Liked
    29 times

My take away from the set of Rivals I used on the Z06 was poor life, hard to drive, and dubious heat capacity when worn. Interestingly the total opposite of what all the early reviews said. Would recommend the RS3 though.

Liked
    744 times

I cannot speak of Michelin's track or summer tires, but the set of Pilot Sport A/S3 on my e30 are amazing. I like them more than the Star Specs that were on it previously for predictabilty, wear, rain and ride. I was not expecting this in an all season. I replaced the Michelins on my wife's IS300 with Hankook Nobles and am sort of regretting that decision.

I know, not apples to apples, but I am either seeing the light on Michelin or drinking the koolaide hard. I have seen their facility south of me in South Carolina, it is dfficult to explain in words how amazing it is.
    Yer pal,
    Force

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2