+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: What's a good street-legal track tire (summer 2014 edition)?

Liked
    237 times

Default What's a good street-legal track tire (summer 2014 edition)?

I just discovered that my favorite street-legal autocross/track tire, the Dunlop Direzza Star Spec II, recently went out of production. What do you guys recommend for this application?

Basically, I'm looking for something that's:
    1. Good grip for a street tire
    2. Won't get greasy after 20 minutes of track driving (like the Falken Azenis used to do). Prefer good grip up to 30 minutes of hard driving.
    3. Affordable, let's say under $300/tire in the 255/45R18 - 275/40R18 range
    4. Wear rating above 100.
    5. Channels water effectively

Thanks!

Liked
    33 times

BFg Rival is a really excellent choice for this type of tire, it has grip levels near NT01s.

Liked
    137 times

The hankook RS3 was always the gold standard here, especially in the heat management category. They are now on the RS3 V2 and I'm still quite fond of them.

Liked
    543 times

Both the Rival and RS3 are awesome for street tires in dry conditions, but I'm not sure about their water channeling abilities. The Star Spec was amazing at this.
    Ryan Passey
    Singulär Motorsports | Goodwin Racing

#13 1990 Miata
    "The sport dedicating to the spirits of time attacking motoring" -Emilio

Liked
    143 times

Toyo RA1. I have been using it as the street tire/track tire on my Toyota for years. Full tread they handle water fine. I dont put a lot of miles on the car but one set did last about 7k miles with little track use.
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by Silversprint View Post
    Toyo RA1. I have been using it as the street tire/track tire on my Toyota for years. Full tread they handle water fine. I dont put a lot of miles on the car but one set did last about 7k miles with little track use.
    This. I have used full tread RA1 as street tires on my Evo IX for years. If you never go to the track, you can get well over 30,000 miles on a set on the street. Taking them to the track obviously shortens their life a lot. They have always been good track rain tires.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    1477 times

Dreaded double post.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    237 times

Thanks for the replies. I forgot about the old RA1. Hmmmm.....

Also, I just discovered that there are still some a Direzza Zii tires available in closeout sales, so I may go back to those.

Any word on the Falken 615K?

Liked
    33 times

615k is junk, they still overheat quickly. BFg Rivals are where it's at in the summer tire category, they are probably just as fast as RA-1s and last longer.

Liked
    115 times

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln Logs View Post
    BFg Rival is a really excellent choice for this type of tire, it has grip levels near NT01s.
    I would love to believe this since the Rivals should last quite a bit longer.

Liked
    114 times

Quote Originally Posted by agershon View Post
    I would love to believe this since the Rivals should last quite a bit longer.
    What's not to believe? Michelin/BFG spend more on R&D than all the other tire manufacturers put together. Yes, I'm bias (worked in Motorsports group) but when one gets the chance to test competitors back-to-back and feel the difference, you're changed for life. You may pay more, but you get a heck of a lot more.

Liked
    115 times

Quote Originally Posted by 2GRX7 View Post
    What's not to believe? Michelin/BFG spend more on R&D than all the other tire manufacturers put together. Yes, I'm bias (worked in Motorsports group) but when one gets the chance to test competitors back-to-back and feel the difference, you're changed for life. You may pay more, but you get a heck of a lot more.
    Like I said, I would love to believe this because the Rival is not only cheaper than NT01 but should last a heckuva lot longer. And by the way, I just put BFG g-sports on my DD.

But the wear rating on the Rival is twice that of the NT01, so I'm just wondering how a 200 tire would be as sticky as a 100 tire.

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by 2GRX7 View Post
    you sound like those Porsche people on Porsche forums. that Porsche are too good for RS3, RSR, Falken, R1R....only Michelin and Bridgestone will do. Even then, ONLY -N (Porsche approved) model will do for Porsche.

yet you go to autocross, most fast Porsche don't run on the Michelin / Bridgestone -n
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    188 times

But the wear rating on the Rival is twice that of the NT01, so I'm just wondering how a 200 tire would be as sticky as a 100 tire.
    IIRC, treadware ratings don't have any real sort of rhyme or reason behind them... and it's up to each manufacturer to rate them on their own.
    On the other hand, since a lot of series/etc. say "over 200 treadware" or "over 140 treadware", it's sometimes advantageous for a company to up-rate their treadware numbers to "fit" into a class.

In other words... you say 200, I say 140.

Liked
    2282 times

so I'm just wondering how a 200 tire would be as sticky as a 100 tire.
    easy: by BS'ing the treadwear rating, almost all of track tire manufacturers does now a day. when SCCA announce tire rule change. overnight, a 140 treadwear tire becomes a 200 treawear tire by not changing a thing.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    115 times

$70 Visa gift card with the purchase of 4 Rivals right now ....

Liked
    2282 times

Miata crowds love Rivals, but S2K / FRS crowds hate Rivals.
    so different size might have different performance.

it is well known that 195/50-15 R1R is a faster tire than 205/50-15 R1R.
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 06-23-2014 at 11:24 AM.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    143 times

You also have to look at how the tire handles heat cycles if you plan to put street miles on a track tire. NT01 or RA1 seems to have grip even when the tread block are gone. Some tires (r888) seem to be trash way before the tread wears down. If street tires last longer but the grip falls off considerably then it's not really a good value.
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

Liked
    114 times

Like I said, I would love to believe this because the Rival is not only cheaper than NT01 but should last a heckuva lot longer. And by the way, I just put BFG g-sports on my DD.

LOL, and like I said, you CAN believe this-no need to love, or hold back on believing.

Just so you guys know, all tire-wear ratings are based on a control tire from WITHIN the company's line of tires, so for example, Michelin will take one of their more common tires, like a Primacy, and test the Rivals' wear rate relative to the Primacys' to get that wear rating you see on the side of the tires. Mind you, some manufacturers will switch out their control tires to get the desired rating, hence, the easy change in wear ratings!!!

So, when purchasing a tire, consider the quality of the typical "commuter", or "OEM" tires that may be used as a "control" tire before you compare wear ratings tire to tire. It's really apples to oranges.

Liked
    114 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    you sound like those Porsche people on Porsche forums. that Porsche are too good for RS3, RSR, Falken, R1R....only Michelin and Bridgestone will do. Even then, ONLY -N (Porsche approved) model will do for Porsche.

yet you go to autocross, most fast Porsche don't run on the Michelin / Bridgestone -n
    LOL, I sound like one of "those" people, huh? Welp, I'm not sure why you're taking what you're taking from my post, but whatever-that's not what I was alluding to. You can have whatever tire you'd like on your Porsche, or Pinto for that matter. Don't know where you got that from.

In any case, no two brands of tires have the same "break-a-way" characteristics, so trying as many tires as possible is key to finding something that suits your driving style. Some like tires that "talk" out loud. Others find that communication should best be left through the seat of the pants/steering wheel. Hey, whatever floats your boat.

Now, to respond to your statement about finding Michelin products on an autocross track-you shouldn't! There aren't any compounds in the various lines that would really hold a candle to a Hoosier, for example. On a racecourse is a different story.

I helped introduce the Pilot Sport Cups back in the day and spent many a weekend selling that tire to the POC, and PCA. But no matter how hard I pushed it, people stuck to the, "Oh, .6 of a second slower in the first couple of laps?" I'd answer back letting them know that once they heated up, they were on pace, plus, the tires lasted 3x as long as Hoosiers, they'd complain about those six-tenths. People are people and usually have a hard time accepting change.

I could go on and on about it but it'll just bore ya'll

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast