+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: What's the first car you fell in love with as a kid?

Liked
    366 times

I was an F40 kid, personally.
    Do you understand?

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by tq3z View Post
    I was an F40 kid, personally.
    I recently met a guy at a restaruant near my office when I went out for lunch that had an F40 parked in front. I talked to him awhile about the car. It was really beautiful.

7,000 POSTS!!!
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    981 times

I guess this, because I lost my virginity to a girl driving one. She was better looking than the car though.

purple-gremlin.jpg
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

Quote Originally Posted by J. Tyler View Post
    Mclaren F1, to this day. Doubt anything will ever top that car for me.

This might have been my first love if it had ever hit my radar. Unfortunately, it didn't. My first exposure to cars was Gran Turismo, so my like and dislike of various cars was based on that game, I think. The McLaren F1 is currently my favorite production car. The world has not yet seen such uncompromising attention to detail and performance.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by redtopz View Post
    I guess this, because I lost my virginity to a girl driving one. She was better looking than the car though.
    Attachment 4486
    Hahahahah!!! Did you do it in the car?

I lost mine to an older woman (I was 14 and she was 16) who drove one of these. She was pretty good-looking but I think the car was better. She did all the driving (no pun intended) because I didn't have a drivers license yet.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    981 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Hahahahah!!! Did you do it in the car?

I lost mine to an older woman (I was 14 and she was 16) who drove one of these. She was pretty good-looking but I think the car was better. She did all the driving (no pun intended) because I didn't have a drivers license yet.

No, actually I never even got in her car I don't think. I just liked seeing it pull up to my parents house .

I owned a mustang exactly like the one in your picture. Same color too. V8 4bbl, 4 speed, convertible, but not GT.
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

Liked
    19 times

I would like to say F40, because my mom would bring me a whole bunch of kits from Italy. We built an F40, I had many diecast touring cars: Citroen, Porsche 944...etc

I think what really got me into the swing was Gran Turismo 1 or 2. I can't quite recall. My friend introduced me to the game, and he had some kind of mitsubishi that he spent a lot of time playing with and boosted to about 600hp. (I think it was a 3000gt or an FTO). I had no idea what I was doing, so I was looking through the used cars, saw a Skyline GTR 34 in "Forest Green". I liked the look of the car, but could not even distinguish between marques yet. A day later she was running in excess of 1000hp, making me money and most importantly, trouncing my friends pride and joy.

I thought turbos were the greatest gift to man, till about ten years later I had the pleasure to work my ass off in two jobs to try to upkeep a constantly broken/breaking turbo miata that tried really hard to kill me.

Now I just like my NA screamers, roadsters and porsches.

Liked
    19 times

Also, in the spirit of trackHQ A.D.D. I will further distract from this discussion by adding an analogy I presented to some friends who were singing the praises of the turbo to me yesterday. Not one of them have a trackday under their belt. This is coming from the biased and unfair comparison that expects a car to actually last a 20 minute lapping session rather than a "30 mph highway pull to smoke that Cobra, bro". And so the ballad of the Prada and Nutritionist was born.

You have two options for a wife, girlfriend etc etc.

One is a 10/10 tight Prada dress, tech savvy...we will say lawyer (thats for you Sheriff).
    The other is a homely 7/10 nutritionist, naturally pretty but almost borderline boring.

The initial buy in:
    Prada seems easy, throw a decent wad of cash down and seems you can entertain her...for one night. You quickly realize the upkeep costs are pretty steep too if you want to keep her around. However she couldnt care if its all leased or payed for, as long as it sparkles and makes her look good.
    The nutritionist wants a commitment, and for you to demonstrate care and love over time. Less upkeep, but you need to invest and buy everything.

The morning after/honeymoon:
    Turns out Prada had some secrets. Without makeup she is actually a 4/10 with skin like sandpaper from the tanning. So you have a 10/10 for the weekend, and 4/10 for the rest of the week and in the mornings. She also has a drinking problem it seem, requiring only the finest bottle of in the house, proffering ninety-fora-octina winery or better. Ironically, rather then drinking the liquid gold with class, she turns into a backalley barcat and chugs it like water.
    Nutritionist is still a 7/10. Doesn't get better or worse. Healthy skin but so pale it blinds you. She will gladly take house red. She will have a glass or two and is fine.

Bow-chika-wow-wow:
    Prada is an absolute freaky beast...for the first 5 minutes. Quickly runs out of steam, pretty quite too and is very particular about how you ride her. Has a weird fetish about having fans on all the time because "it gets too hot". Freezes you on the other hand. Usually runs out of steam before anyone is pleased. Maybe its because she broke into your liquor and drank your finest scotch with her pills that she likes so much.
    Nutritionist turns out to be a screamer, and she doesnt run out of steam! On top of that, she is flexible and will work with you to get the best performance out of both of you. Just keeps going and going. Still has energy to bring you coffee in the morning. No cooling fan fetish.

And that is why, my friends, you want a GT3RS instead of the seemingly faster and more expensive GT2. Or the N/A over the Turbo.
    cosmin likes this.

Liked
    71 times

I had a poster of a Diablo hanging in my room when I was a kid
    lamborghini_diablo_and_car_babe.jpg

Saucy!!

Liked
    71 times

Quote Originally Posted by heelntoe View Post
    And that is why, my friends, you want a GT3RS instead of the seemingly faster and more expensive GT2. Or the N/A over the Turbo.
    I actually read that block of text. Haha!

Liked
    1477 times

heelntoe: You talk too much.

Liked
    977 times

Quote Originally Posted by flyingscot View Post
    ive always been into crumpet catchers but the best car that was around when i was a kid was the xr4,otherwise known as the ford sierra cosworth,took the BTCC series by storm and was basically the audi quattro of the tuner crowd in the UK,infinitely tunable and very cool,a bit like the evo
    This was one one of my favorites too as a kid. Must be a British thing.

Liked
    15 times

My fathers 1967 Mustang 4-Speed. I still remember to this day pretending I was a racing driver when it was parked in the garage. I cried the day he sold it haha.

Liked
    28 times

I always loved Corvettes. 1973 454ci big block, red, chrome. I wanted one... until the day I sat in one. :-) I bought a 2006 C6, though...

Liked
    2282 times

any of Group B cars !!!
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2391 times

The first time I saw this image in my childhood, I barely knew what a sports car or road racing was. It was almost solely responsible for me giving up my childhood fascination with drag racing and discovering sports cars. I saw this, maybe in a magazine somewhere and what can I say. Mind. Blown.

Hans Stuck and the Nurburgring in 1974. Works BMW 3.0 CSL

lat2005101308824_pv.jpg
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    1486 times

My first love was the "magnam PI" red ferrari 308gts. Then I bought that 308gts and learned what a POS it really was. Four Ferraris later they are still POS but cool POS. The best description is "Ferrari is like having a smoking hot mistress that does inappropriote things in social situations."

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    My first love was the "magnam PI" red ferrari 308gts. Then I bought that 308gts and learned what a POS it really was. Four Ferraris later they are still POS but cool POS. The best description is "Ferrari is like having a smoking hot mistress that does inappropriote things in social situations."
    I remember exactly where I was when I first saw a Dino 246 GT. It was yellow. Beautiful car. A number of years later I bought a Fiat Dino Spyder, which had the same drive train, but engine mounted in the front. What a great-looking piece of crap.

Liked
    1486 times

That's funny Richard. I liked the 308GTS because of Magnum PI...I was a kid. At the same time I could have bought the 246 dino for the same money. Who wanted to buy a really old car with only 6 cylinders and it wasn't even a real ferrari? It was a Dino. Well...I was too stupid to buy the right car. I have been stuck ever since with common Ferraris because the others got stupid out of reach for what they are. Once they are in your blood though it is hard to get them out.

Liked
    742 times

'73 super beetle.

My dad drove one when I very young. He bought it the year I was born, actually. I grew up in Detroit, dad was an electrical engineer working for the automotive industry. Cars were ingrained into my life by environment. I was obsessed with it because everything else on the road around us was big, heavy American iron. I would sit on the driveway and watch my father do routine maintenance on it. I liked it because everything on it was different than every other car on the block. When you're that young, your block is your universe.

As dad became more successful, he restarted his rally hobby and I grew obsessed with GTIs then e30s. It sort of mirrored whatever car he built to rally. I have never been impressed with supercars. Their function doesn't jive with my affection for versatility. Later, when I studied industrial design, I grew to love the German cars even more; Porsches, BMWs and Mercedes. Their evolutionary design language and engineering subtleties resonate with my personal philosophy.

I do have to admit, I still have a boner for the '72 Alfa GTV. I remember seeing one at a track as a kid while we were there to watch dad race. I would love to own one someday. Probably as much as a mid 60's 911 or 912.
    Last edited by Force McCocken; 04-09-2012 at 12:07 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast