+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BOWERSdaAZIAN

Thread: What is your favorite "away" track?

Liked
    237 times

Default What is your favorite "away" track?

As a sister thread to Richard Evo's home track thread, I thought it'd be interesting to hear what everyone's favorite "away" track is? I'm defining "away" as anything other than your home track but preferably a track that is more than a few hours away by car.

In my case, my favorite away track is Lime Rock Park in Connecticut. It's small (1.6 miles long) but is in a beautiful part of New England, flows well, and has a ton of history. Its also very clean and well-maintained. It's been in operation since, I believe, the 1950s. It's also a true sports car or momentum track in that it seems to favor small, light, nimble cars over 600 whp monsters that do well at Willow Springs. Plus, it was Paul Newman's home track for decades and the last race track he ever turned a wheel at.

How about you guys?

Liked
    237 times

Here's a cool video of Lime Rock featuring the BMW M3 "Lime Rock Edition"

Liked
    2243 times

I never knew there was a Lime Rock Edition M3.

My favorite away track has to be Laguna Seca. I just love the track itself, the area and, like Lime Rock, all the history of the place. Oh, the weather is great for racing, too.

Liked
    1486 times

With all the work I put into competing in the Runoffs this year I got to say Laguna is my new favorite in California but I still have not been to the other NorCal tracks. At Laguna you can't beat the great places to stay in Monterey, good food, cool race weather, and thoughtful MotoGP modifications that make the track safer for all of us. Out of Cali, CoTA is my favorite. You can't beat Texas Bar-Be-Que or the only new Tilke designed FIA track in America.

Liked
    26 times

Sonoma, Aka Sears point
    http://touringcarclub.net/

Liked
    20 times

Since Northern California is "local" to so many great tracks, I'll say The Ridge Motorsports Park in WA. Its new (and in financial turmoil from what I heard) so facilities are lacking and the time I ran it was still very much in its infancy, however I really liked the flow. It has a nice blend of fast paced and technical turns, and while the corkscrew'esque isn't anywhere near the real thing, its still a great complex of turns right near the paddock.

Obviously not me, but quite a quick lap:

The Ridge Motorsports Park 1:32.962 Lap 7/28/13 - YouTube
    MikeColangelo likes this.

Liked
    141 times

My favorite "away tracks" are (in order of preference): 1) Road America, 2) Daytona, 3) Laguna Seca, 4) Lime rock. I would really like to try COTA some day.

Charley
    Last edited by CharleyH; 10-18-2014 at 10:19 PM.

Liked
    33 times

Although it's not that far away, Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch is one of my favorites. The facility is top notch and the ability to rent a condo on site is awesome.
    Last edited by Lincoln Logs; 10-18-2014 at 11:40 PM.

LongWinded National Champ Bueller's Avatar
    Liked
    168 times

Thunderhill. Drove it once in the summer of 2008 and havent been able to return since then. Felt a connection with the track pretty quickly, which was strange to me at the time because ive never felt that before. In fact i havent felt that with any other track. Why do i sound like a cheesy chick flick?
    Team Rambling Warrior Poet

RRE
    Robispec
    Girodisc
    SCM
    APR

Liked
    60 times

Virginia International Raceway. Multiple track layouts and they're all great. Great mix of fast, technical, elevation, etc. The area is beautiful. And the track facilities are AMAZING (e.g., apartments above the pits, as well as condos for rent with hot tubs, etc.).
    Follow my racing: https://www.youtube.com/ryandhouck
    2009 Yamaha R6 (race bike)
    2014 Triumph Street Triple R (street bike)
    2009 Honda S2000
    2008 BMW M3 (sold)

+ Reply to Thread