+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: What you would rather buy?

JJ1
    Liked
    177 times

Default What you would rather buy?

Cayman S, 997 c2s or e90 m3. Price point is low 40s. So we're looking at around an 08 with about 40k miles. Car would be a daily with more than occasional HPDEs. All of them are more than adequate for daily driving. I would probably put coilovers on any of them. But things to consider are:
    1)reliability
    2)fun to drive
    3)cost of mods to get them to drive the way I would like (dial out under steer)

Both Porsches would probably require aftermarket diff but the m3 is heavy. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by JJ1; 06-24-2012 at 02:49 PM.

Liked
    142 times

Cayman S.
    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

JJ1
    Liked
    177 times

Any particular reason? Im guessing weight.

Liked
    20 times

Just to clarify, are you looking at the e90 M3 or e92 M3 in your comparison? The e90 is the sedan and e92 the coupe.

I'd choose the Cayman S. Never driven any of the mentioned cars, but heard many many great things about the Cayman chassis and how it is one of the best drivers cars available.

JJ1
    Liked
    177 times

I like the sedan, but I think it would be easier to find an e92 for a good price. Plus I could pull the rear seats and place a nice piece of carpet to shed weight while still being a nice street car. The e90 would look ghetto with no rear seats.

Liked
    1477 times

Cayman S. Best balance. A little underpowered so second choice M3. That kind of money doesn't buy a good 911.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    27 times

Consider the Cayman. When you feel like upping the ante: TPCRacing 987 Cayman S Turbo Kit - TPC Racing

2009 Nissan GT-R -- nicely modded

JJ1
    Liked
    177 times

Quote Originally Posted by DocNrock View Post
    Consider the Cayman. When you feel like upping the ante: TPCRacing 987 Cayman S Turbo Kit - TPC Racing

#1 was reliability. If I was going to spend money on a build like that I would get a GT3, install a diff and call it a day.

Liked
    142 times

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1 View Post
    Any particular reason? Im guessing weight.
    The Cayman S doesn't have the motor hanging out its rear end and you did mention that you may have to put a aftermarket diff in. That one mod would make the Cayman better then the 997. The M3 as my mechanic says "BMW the ultimate kit car." they get parts from all over the place. If you bumped up your range then I'd say Z06, big power and lighter than the BMW.
    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

JJ1
    Liked
    177 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Cayman S. Best balance. A little underpowered so second choice M3. That kind of money doesn't buy a good 911.
    My biggest concern with the cayman s in it being a little under powered. I have a s2000 now. GREAT chasis but a little low on power and sucks for a daily. The thing I like most about the Cayman is its close to the weight of a s2k. You can get an early 997 c2s with about 40k miles for $45k. Thats not an unheard of deal, thats what they go for. The weight of a 911 is reasonable and has great power but I think I would have a lot of trouble dialing out the under steer.

Liked
    27 times

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1 View Post
    #1 was reliability. If I was going to spend money on a build like that I would get a GT3, install a diff and call it a day.
    If you believe their website, and I don't know if I do, but with only 4.5 pounds of boost, they claim reliability. Its 10k over 40k for the car. Can you get a GT3 for $50k?
    2009 Nissan GT-R -- nicely modded

Liked
    1477 times

If you believe their website, and I don't know if I do, but with only 4.5 pounds of boost, they claim reliability. Its 10k over 40k for the car. Can you get a GT3 for $50k?
    996 GT3, more than $50K I think. 997 GT3 way more. Not in the same price league as Cayman S.
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 06-24-2012 at 05:17 PM.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

JJ1
    Liked
    177 times

No, but $40k+$10k(parts only)+lets say at least $5k for install+suspension and questionable reliability. I'd rather a 996 GT3 or save $15k more for a gen I 997.

Liked
    29 times

Of your proposed choices the Cayman S. The Z06 is a solid consideration and very hard to beat in many respects. GT3 is a great car no doubt but an engine rebuild goes for over 20 grand.

Liked
    1477 times

^^^ C6 Z06 a good choice. Just get a real dry sump oiling system for it.

JJ1
    Liked
    177 times

Two problems with the z06. 1)I dont really want one as a daily. 2)Dont they require a few things to be reliable? Accusumps or even dry sump, oil coolers, brake ducts, etc. Im not that knowledgeable about them other than that the can make great track cars and have great power to weight. Seems like the Cayman is the choice. I have driven cayman s and c2s but the m3 was the only one I got to track. I wish I could drive all three on the track, it would make it easier to decide Im sure.

JJ1
    Liked
    177 times

Another note is I like running street tires. I dont want to lug around spare wheels and tires.

Liked
    29 times

The BMW is too damn heavy which will cost you a lot in brake pads, rotors and tires, not to mention the deficit in fun factor from the large difference in weight as effecting the performance and response.

The Cayman S seems like the call but I would check carefully and thoroughly into the track reliability. Sometimes cars that are very reliable streeters have a way of going down hill fast and when tracked hard.

How much is a used Exige S going for?

Liked
    38 times

As someone was has been tracking a 996 C2 for over 6 years, I say go for the Cayman. I have said it many times, the balance is just vastly superior to the rear engine 911. Your learning curve will be much higher as well trying to master the rear engined beast compared to the Cayman.

That being said I did own a 335i e90 and I am sure the M3 is similar in the respect that it is a really nice street car.

JJ1
    Liked
    177 times

I dont want to daily an exige. But they are the same price point and great track cars.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast