+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What tires are best for aggressive street driving?

Liked
    0 times

Default What tires are best for aggressive street driving?

I've heard RE01s are good but haven't tried them yet. I was thinking about RA1s but afraid street driving won't get them hot enough for them to work. What do you guys think?

Liked
    0 times

I used many many many sets of falken 615. Both on my miata and the porsche. Held up pretty well at the track too.

Not to mention its one of the cheapest tires as well.
    John
    #522 996 Spec / GTS3
    JC3D // Racecars and Keyframes // 996 Spec

Liked
    1 times

Azenis RT615 all the way.

Motorsports Photographer imager993's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times

got four 615's on my car right now.
    Aaron Kupferman | 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe | Visual Effects Electric Reality | Motorsports Photography Motorsport Lens | Other Photography AaronKupferman.com

Liked
    2 times

hankook rs2

Liked
    0 times

Are r-compounds ok to drive on the street?

Liked
    0 times

I have seen people that keep ra-1 on their car all the time. There really isnt a need for it since they dont get hot enough to work properly, and cost you more money.

Just look at this guy:
    http://www.kmbc.com/news/15160242/detail.html

"The Porsche had special tires, called racing slicks, which are smooth but can be slippery when it is cold or if they're on wet pavement, Moore reported."
    John
    #522 996 Spec / GTS3
    JC3D // Racecars and Keyframes // 996 Spec

Liked
    34 times

I ran the stock Lotus A048s on the street during winter months here in socal with no problem. I guess it all depends on what type of r-comps. I heard the michelin pilot sport cups are really hard to heat up, so it wouldn't be wise to use those on your sub-2k lbs car for the street. I also commute with RA-1s to and from track, don't notice any substantial lost of grip.

Motorsports Photographer imager993's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times

I think R-Comps should be okay as long as you aren't doing anything crazy in them. But like John said, it is a very boring way to wear down your nice racing tires. Should be fine if you need to keep them on for some reason or other though.
    Aaron Kupferman | 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe | Visual Effects Electric Reality | Motorsports Photography Motorsport Lens | Other Photography AaronKupferman.com

Liked
    2 times

Falken RT-615 FTW!

Liked
    0 times

The RT615 is the best bang for the buck and very good tire overall. That's the street tire on Miata.

As for R comps, some, like the RA1 and the Kumho V700 Ecsta and Victoracer have *some* tread, but's very shallow and standing water will not fun. Hoosier has a persistent and annoying disclaimer on their web site warning against driving on the street with any of their R comps, DOT "legality" notwithstanding. The stickier A6 Hoosier won't last long on the track, but despite the soft compound they're much better with some heat. Kumho V710s are better cold. Both of those tires have no tread unless you count the two grooves.

There's a national champion Solo racer who drives his RX-8 to the track on his V710s all the time. He is sponsored by Kumho, so I don't think tire wear concerns him on the money side.
    +++++++++++++
    "The history of liberty is a history of resistance." -- Nadia Boulanger
    Member SCCA > Cal Club Region > Pacific Sports Car Club
    1994 CSP Miata [Hmm, what to do next ... ]

Liked
    10 times

Bridgestone RE01R
    Yokohama AD07
    Dunlop Z1
    Toyo R1R
    Falken RT615
    BFG KD
    Hankook RS2
    Kumho MX
    Federal 595RS

These are all good street tires and laptime will vary less than 1s at SOWS as far as grip level, and drivers choose their own favorite tires

But I won't vote RT615 best bang for the buck after Dunlop Z1 arrived USA or when RE01R is on sale!

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Jaku View Post
    Bridgestone RE01R
    Yokohama AD07
    Dunlop Z1
    Toyo R1R
    Falken RT615
    BFG KD
    Hankook RS2
    Kumho MX
    Federal 595RS

These are all good street tires and laptime will vary less than 1s at SOWS as far as grip level, and drivers choose their own favorite tires

But I won't vote RT615 best bang for the buck after Dunlop Z1 arrived USA or when RE01R is on sale!
    Don't forget about size availability. RE01Rs and Advans are great tires, but cost more, and for those running smaller wheels they might not find the right size. The two I mention, along with the Falken have stiff enough sidewalls for good transitional response. I'd want that on track and in Solo competition. Alignment and tire pressures can fine tune for the rest of it, but transitions are conquered through tire design first, alignment second. A tire with a soft sidewall won't transition quickly or precisely no matter what the alignment settings are.

That said, tire preference, like brake pad choice, becomes a matter of personal choice based on experience. I find Porterfield R4-S pads to my liking because too much initial bite with no antilock doesn't work for me. Others like Carbotech or Hawk.

As for tires, some tires work better with more camber and others are fine with more typically achievable settings. For instance, I can get more camber than I need, but perhaps some FWD cars can't get enough up front without plates. That's not always a good solution. Plates work really well in some cars and in others it's a constant hassle to keep settings where you want them.

Some of this is trial and error, but luckily there are forums like this so people can spend more money on track time and less on what doesn't work.
    +++++++++++++
    "The history of liberty is a history of resistance." -- Nadia Boulanger
    Member SCCA > Cal Club Region > Pacific Sports Car Club
    1994 CSP Miata [Hmm, what to do next ... ]

Liked
    34 times

Quote Originally Posted by MX5Bob View Post
    .......... luckily there are forums like this so people can spend more money on track time and less on what doesn't work.
    most of my money are invested on track days, tires, brake pads, and petro.

Liked
    2 times

Is anyone using the Toyo R1R?

Liked
    10 times

I'm going to but my size hasn't come out

+ Reply to Thread