+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: What is the most rapid way to decelerate in dirt?

Liked
    2243 times

Being aware of consequences is instructive. Focusing on the consequences, as you pointed out, is not.

Liked
    73 times

Quote Originally Posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
    Exactly. And what does a person do when they are reminded not to go off on 8?

Going off the track is always the result of an errorl. Why would someone need a reminder not to make an error? How useful is such a reminder?
    you watched that video of the guy in the Mustang too many times lol.. I'm still not sure why he went off there..
    ucfbrett likes this.

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    Being aware of consequences is instructive. Focusing on the consequences, as you pointed out, is not.
    Well said. I am aware that leaving the track may cause injury, death, and destruction of my car. Is that specific enough, or do I need to know the manner of my death?

Quote Originally Posted by slodrew View Post
    you watched that video of the guy in the Mustang too many times lol.. I'm still not sure why he went off there..
    I have. That video terrifies me.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    73 times

here's a story for you.. I once had a 1970 Lincoln Continental that was rated at 365 hp and 500 lb-ft torque that I got to use as a chassis for a 1955 Ford F100 pickup I was building in a shop I had on the outskirts of town. So at one point the car had just the hood (held down by a bungee cord), inner fenders, core support, firewall, and just enough of the floor to bolt the front seats down and I was ready to do some drag racing lol.. So one night after I had already melted a set or two of tires I had a dream that the hood flew up just as I was approaching the 1/4 mile finish line and I was able to duck just in time and keep the car straight by looking to the side and watching the white line.. A couple days later it really happened and had I not had that dream and already gone through in my head what I would do in that situation things would have gotten really ugly really fast..

I guess the moral of this story is that it couldn't hurt to walk the track and know what's out there so you don't end up finding out the hard way. It may actually help your times get better if you know where you have to really watch out and know where the safer zones are.. or you can just ask Rob lol! I think he's been off just about everywhere there is to go off at big willow.
    SDSUsnowboards likes this.

Liked
    2243 times

Quote Originally Posted by slodrew View Post
    I guess the moral of this story is that it couldn't hurt to walk the track and know what's out there so you don't end up finding out the hard way.
    Well, that and be sure your hood is buttoned down tightly.

Liked
    299 times

Grab 1st, doesn't matter what speed. PULL E BRAKE to maximum. 2 ft on the brake Pedal at same time. There. Fastest possible stopping distance.
    Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
    1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
    2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
    2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
    1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
    1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
    1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
    1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
    1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
    1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
    2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

Liked
    2165 times

Ok. Help me out with this one. I go off the track at Turn 9 at WSIR. I'm going pretty fast and I can't turn or stop. I know there is a ditch coming up that will launch me into a wall, because I surveyed the track before hand.

How will my knowledge of that ditch help me in this situation?
    I have gone off between Turn 8 and 9 at triple digits speeds. Because I have walked that track and scouted out the outside of Turn 8 and 9 I was able to avoid the unseen ditch and wall that is out there with about 4 feet to spare. On other tracks on scouting laps I sometime purposely run two off our run up on curbing to see how the car responds. It always makes me feel more secure pushing hard and minimizes the surprises when the inevitable happens.
    ucfbrett and OJR like this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    51 times

Exactly. And what does a person do when they are reminded not to go off on 8?
    It means hug the inside and deal with the pavement imperfections.

As long as the tires are going (thud, thud, thud) I'm not going to be anyhere near the outside of the track.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2